PDA

View Full Version : Insurance problems with auto-x

nocomedown
08-23-2003, 09:25 PM
ok, so i've been to a few of the local SCCA sponsored Auto-x events and i'm really wanting to try it out for myself. my parents really have no problem with it, but my dad has a friend who used to do the whole auto-x thing who started having problems with his insurance agency because he was competing in the events. have any of you auto-xers had any problems with your insurance agencies?

i know its not like you would just come out and tell them that youre racing in these events, but my dad's friend said that there was actually a guy from an insurance agencies at one of the auto-x events taking down license plate numbers.

240Stilo
08-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Well if they're taking down numbers then taking off the plates might be the way to go, ONCE YOU'RE THERE of course. I don't know if the event coordinators allow it but it's good to at least ask. Other than that.....seems pretty shady business on the insurance company's behalf.

Halz
08-24-2003, 12:03 AM
I'd have thought an insurance company would reward drivers interested/competing in events that require precision driving at practical speeds.. especially if you win some title!

On a somewhat related note, I was given a 2% discount because I don't smoke. When I asked "why", not because I cared, but because I just wanted to 'flaw' their little program, she obviously said it can be a distraction to the driver.. so I said I also don't have a cell phone. Oh the hilarity :(

thx247
08-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Well read the insurance policy lol. It will probably say that timed track events are not covered, as well as door to door racing events. You can easily buy insurance through the SCCA for track events if its really that important...

About the insurance company AT the auto X taking down plate numbers...that almost sounds like BS.

Why would an insurance company PAY one of their employee's to go out of their way, to record people driving in an unsanctioned event? So they can drop them from their policy for driving in an event that is not covered by their insurance policy?

Why not just establish with the driver who wrecked his car where he was driving when he wrecked. Then when he says at an auto x you tell him "soo sad too bad" and offer to sell him an insurance policy that covers track events haha

MovinUp-1
08-24-2003, 08:07 AM
In several places around the country Progressive Insurance has been checking the online event results for names of people they cover and dropping their insurance because they were autocrossing. Kentucky Region now has the results posted with a password blocking others from seeing the results for just that reason. In contrast to Progressive's tactics State Farm insurance actually covers your car while you are competing at a Gymkana event (another name for autocross). Their only stipulation is that it has to be amateur only, you can't be getting paid to drive.

thx247
08-24-2003, 08:17 PM
PHhssssss **** progressive.

They straight up said over the phone they would not insure a car that is used for racing. Racing was defined as any competitive event that was timed or not, regardless of autocross or open track.

What bull****. You would think they would just not cover the car when you at a track day..but no. They just deny coverage. Losers.

Muzzy
08-24-2003, 08:33 PM
crackhead dont tell them!!!

crioten
08-24-2003, 10:48 PM
but to answer your question....

ive been autoxing and had no problems w/ insurance, and havent heard about anyone loosing their policy over it...sounds like bs, and if you only go once, look at the odds if youre worried about it :coolugh:

MovinUp-1
08-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by crioten
but to answer your question....

ive been autoxing and had no problems w/ insurance, and havent heard about anyone loosing their policy over it...sounds like bs, and if you only go once, look at the odds if youre worried about it :coolugh:

Unfortunately it is not BS. I personally know two people who's policies were dropped by Progressive when they found out they were autocrossing. They're a rediculous company. It is far less likely that anything will happen to you on an autocross course than something happening while driving to the event. That's why I'm with State Farm. They actually encourage driver education.

crioten
08-27-2003, 07:22 AM
i only have liability, so i doubt my ins. comp. actually cares, but who knows...

nocomedown
08-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by crioten
i only have liability, so i doubt my ins. comp. actually cares, but who knows...
actually it seems like liability would be a big issue. theres plenty of expensive cars to hit out there. i personally dont think it should be a danger to the insurance company, but i dont think they really understand the sport.

crioten
08-28-2003, 09:36 AM
its pretty hard to hit another car out there, you would actually have to try...there are no cars near the course...and there is usually something dividing the course from the cars, like a fence or rails

but anyway, i guess its all up to your ins. company, so either way its a risk, and i choose to accept it