PDA

View Full Version : Couple of quick SR questions (searched)

kidinthehall
08-20-2003, 02:46 PM
OK, ive pretty much got my SR swap finished up with the exception of a couple of small things....

-- I was told to use whichever lower harness was in better shape, that it didnt matter. i find out after ive got the motor in the car that several connnectors are different. so basically the only thing ive got hooked up coming from my trans is the speed sensor i believe. my question, does it matter if the other 2 sensors are hooked up off the trans or not? or should i go ahead and just cut the connectors off the SR harness and put them on? Im guessing these are for the reverse light and the 5th gear sensor?

--Will the car have a speed cut? ive been told two different answers from two different shops, so im lookin for answers from people that have done this i guess. I was wondering if having the 5th gear sensor hooked was what determined speed cut off or not, or if the computer needed info from that sensor to run correctly in 5th under load.

-- Factory temp gauge.......how accurate is it? meaning, does it operate like some cars as basically an idiot light with a needle, meaning its either "cold", "some broad operating range", or "overheating". or is the gauge dynamic enough in range that it can actually be trusted until i put in a real temp gauge shortly? ive got a 16" elec fan on the stock radiator right now, and im pretty sure its not gonna be enough

-- How does the SR get an oil pressure signal? i saw no sensor on the side of the pedestal like the KA has?

sorry to sound like a newb with the questions, but i figured id word them as point blank as possible. Thanks for any help.

kazuo
08-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by kidinthehall
OK, ive pretty much got my SR swap finished up with the exception of a couple of small things....

-- I was told to use whichever lower harness was in better shape, that it didnt matter. i find out after ive got the motor in the car that several connnectors are different. so basically the only thing ive got hooked up coming from my trans is the speed sensor i believe. my question, does it matter if the other 2 sensors are hooked up off the trans or not? or should i go ahead and just cut the connectors off the SR harness and put them on? Im guessing these are for the reverse light and the 5th gear sensor?

i believe there are 3-4 sensors down there:
neutral
reverse
speed sensor
auto tranny sensor (if you have an auto)

you need to use the SR lower harness cus the KA plugs wont fit. or you can splice the plugs... i just used the SR harness, less work and it doesnt matter either way.

--Will the car have a speed cut? ive been told two different answers from two different shops, so im lookin for answers from people that have done this i guess. I was wondering if having the 5th gear sensor hooked was what determined speed cut off or not, or if the computer needed info from that sensor to run correctly in 5th under load.

Not 100% on this one but sure enough... youll have a speed cut. need to get a re-coded ECU or some other mod..

-- Factory temp gauge.......how accurate is it? meaning, does it operate like some cars as basically an idiot light with a needle, meaning its either "cold", "some broad operating range", or "overheating". or is the gauge dynamic enough in range that it can actually be trusted until i put in a real temp gauge shortly? ive got a 16" elec fan on the stock radiator right now, and im pretty sure its not gonna be enough

It's good enough until you get a real temp gauge. Just dont overdo it to be on the safe side...

-- How does the SR get an oil pressure signal? i saw no sensor on the side of the pedestal like the KA has?

No idea on this one.

sorry to sound like a newb with the questions, but i figured id word them as point blank as possible. Thanks for any help.

no prob man, we're all noobs at some point.. as long as you dont come off as a total fool im sure nobody minds. its only people who come off as retarded that face the wrath of the Zilvia SS.

good luck

kidinthehall
08-21-2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks, do you know what will happen if the other sensors besides the speed sensor are left disconnected?

Also, how can you get around the speed cut besides a remapped ECU, and the greddy speed cut elim (which im told is nolonger imported into the states)