PDA

View Full Version : what can i replace my stock speakers with? HELP!

rps13sh
08-19-2003, 11:09 PM
i need to get some new door mount speakers on my S13 fastback. i heard i can only go 4x6 but i want to get 5"+ components. is there some kinda bracket i can buy or some kinda kit that can help me?

L.D. 100
08-19-2003, 11:31 PM
i didnt do it but my s13 has components but they bolted on a piece of plywood that had the cut-out for the midrange speaker, i think it also has foam between the board and the metal.

DRFT
08-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Yea i also want to replace my speakers, but then again i dont have any speakers because my car didnt come w/any and didnt come w/a deck!!!

but yea i heard 4x6 can fit all around. But i've seen some people cut holes out on their rear cargo cover to fit 6x9s. but i wouln't do that. I also heard that you can fit 6 1/2 in the fronts w/a bracket.

FRpilot
08-20-2003, 01:34 AM
im in the process of making speakers out of hardwood for the fronts. whats the difference between hardwood and plywood? what is plywood anyways?

im also going to be trying to fit some bigger speakers in the rear. i'll let you guys know how that turns out.

240sxhed
08-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Heres what you do. first go to the archives section and get the article on how to bypass your factory amps (if you have an S13,i don't know if you have to on S14s)tear our the factory speaker mounts in the front remove the factory amplifiers but becarful when you cut any wires as you will need certain ones to use as your new speaker + and - wires. there is one amp in each door and one in the back on the driver side above and a little behind the wheel well. also go out and buy some speaker wire from radio shack or something. that will make it easier to extend the wire to the pass. side rear speaker. what i did to replace the factory front speakers is. i used 6.5 inch alpine speakers and after i took out the factory mount thing i took the speaker and held it up to the front side of the remaining hole in the door and made marks with a sharpie through the screw holes in the speakers. get a drill and drill a hole at each mark. then get self tapping screws and tighten the speaker down real good then put some sound deadning material behind the speaker (pillow stuffing) and wired the speakers. works and sounds great no rattles at all. hope that helps :bow:

rps13sh
08-20-2003, 10:01 AM
this is crazy. i was hoping for some kinda simple kit. :rolleyes:

L.D. 100
08-20-2003, 12:31 PM
plywood is ummm layered wood, 2ply=2 layers etc..., i think hardwood should be better, i dont know if it will make a big difference on front speakers though...now if it was a sub box i definetly wouldnt use plywood (id use mdf)

haha i tried putting 6x9s on the rear. i cut out a larger whole and everything, it seemed like it would fit but once i tried to mount the metal braket thing that had the speaker bolted to it...it didnt work cuz the damn magnet was so huge didnt let everything fit back in...damn. so now i have them in individual 6x9 boxes sitting around in my trunk next to the subs...cant really hear them unless the seat is down.

FRpilot
08-20-2003, 01:31 PM
thanks for the reply. what makes plywood so special for speaker brackets? less rattle? i just saw the hardwood and it looked pretty sturdy so i was like. what the hell.. but is plywheel that much better?

nightwalker
08-20-2003, 02:31 PM
plywood is probably the most used wood in autosound. (MDF)<- specifically is what you should look for. My fronts are 5.25 size infinite components and they sound decent. The rear are either 6x9, or stock 4x6 depending if I decide to use the rear trunk cover. For stock, I would use Eclipse 4x6 speakers all around, or Infiniti, because they have the best sound (bass) and (treble) for a 4x6 speaker. All else just sucks. Or, you can cut out the hatch cover and put 6x9 in them, and try to put a 6.5 in the door. If you want good sound, I would go with the latter. My 92 integra with 6.5 Infinity Kappas kick my 240's 5.25 component and 4x6 combo's *** all day long! With a 6.5 and a 6x9, you shouldn't really need to run an amp as long as you have good quality products. But there is no problem with running an amp, its just extra weight in my book. Ohh, and I would buy the little square piece of Dynamat for the door skin, behind the speaker, it makes a night and day difference no matter what kind of speaker you run. (plus its not heavy at all)