PDA

View Full Version : How to : install power antenna on a non power setup?

91CRXsiR
08-19-2003, 05:35 PM
just bought one, for my wangan wing..

MarvynDT
08-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Installation is straight forward. Mount the motor. Feed the plastic track with teeth facing driverside into the motor. Turn the radio on and the motor should take the antenna mast.

Read more here (http://240sx.org/faq/articles/antenna_power_failure.htm)

doainwpg
08-19-2003, 08:28 PM
i think he may mean putting a power antenna onto a car that had a fixed antenna before, for that you need to run a constant power and a line to the deck for the power antenna/remote line. you need both so that it'll go up & down at all

Negreac
08-20-2003, 06:55 AM
I would suggest using an aftermarket one. Go to autozone and they'll tell you which one fits your car the best. You will have to run 4 wires in all. One is the remote wire which will tap into a line specifically for pwr anteannas. Aftermarket radios will have a seperate wire labeled for this, your stock unit may or may not have a wire for it, there are ways to get around it if you have a stock unit but I'm going to aaume you have an aftermarket unit for now. The second wire is the power wire, this needs to be connected to a constant power source. The easiest place to tap is an empty slot in your interior fusebox. Be sure to run an in-line fuse no more than 8in. in the line from the power source or else you're at serious risk for an electrical fire. The 3rd wire is the ground. Run this to any bolt attached to the chassis. The last wire is a signal wire. There should already be one back there for your current anteanna, but you may or may not need an adapter to make it work w/ the aftermarket anteanna. The installation is pretty straight forward and is outlined in much greater detail in the instructions w/ the anteanna. The anteanna and wires will probably cost you somwhere in the range of $50.

uiuc240
08-20-2003, 11:45 AM
IIRC, all the stock wiring should be back there already. Just get a Nissan power antenna, mount it, and plug it in.

Eric

91CRXsiR
08-21-2003, 05:31 PM
well i have a aftermarket headunit .. kenwood

and i just bought the stock power antenna off a zilvia member its sitting next to me, so opting for a aftermarket power antenna isn't an option.

so its just plug n play?

Negreac
08-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Uiuc240 may be right. The subloom for the stock PWR anteanna may already be back there, but it also may not. If it is you can just bolt up your anteanna and plug it right it.

the head
08-22-2003, 10:27 AM
off of your deck there should be a power wire labeld ant usually bule or blue with a white stripe just run wire back if you don't want to hassle with nissan wireing also you can hook it to a power souce with a momentary switch to raise and lower the antenna could go either way depending on your preference