PDA

View Full Version : Starion intercooler question

Sircnay
08-19-2003, 03:15 PM
Okay, the piping for this to my SR20DET is killing me. I can not for the life of me figure it out. That and I don't think I've spent enough time looking. Can anyone help me on how EXACTLY i shoudl go about getting all the piping to work? Please? Thanks, I've searched for this and coudln't find anything about it. Thanks again in advance, whoever helps me gets magical super powers!

kazuo
08-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Umm, I think you would need custom piping, given that the Starion had a FMIC and the SR has SMIC and thus the piping will never EVAR line up.

Just go to a muffler shop and be all like "yo i need piping for this IC, here is my turbo and my TB, make it work"

:P

Sircnay
08-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Oh, I better not forget my baggy pants and plaid button up shirt. What color do-rag should I wear? Red or blue? And I'm going to a muffler shop, I better bring a piece with me. You know how dangerous those Muffler shop dudes are.

FRpilot
08-20-2003, 01:18 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

hahah this thread has gone to ****. either that, or you can bring a big bag of money. maybe heavy bags of quarters. tell them you need i/c piping right away, and throw those bags at them. and yell, 'whatever it takes'

but seriously, any muffler shop should be able to make ic piping. you'll probably want mandrel bent piping because crush bent is not smooth on the inside and restricts air flow.

phatsx
08-20-2003, 08:20 PM
You can also buy the bends from NAPA and JC whitney. If you can, try to get someone that has some experience with this to do the job. Reason being, if you go down to you local muffler shop they are more than likely not going to know what you are talking about when you say intercooler. To do the job correctly the pipe needs a precise weld and if you want it to look good, it need to be sanded lightly and then powder coated or jet-hot coated. Might want to even think about ceramic coating the inside(can increase flow up to 10%)

kazuo
08-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Sircnay
Oh, I better not forget my baggy pants and plaid button up shirt. What color do-rag should I wear? Red or blue? And I'm going to a muffler shop, I better bring a piece with me. You know how dangerous those Muffler shop dudes are.

Okay, that was stupid. I told you how to make the IC work, and thats what I get?

Next time I'll just call you stupid for not realizing right away that you need to have custom piping made. :mrmeph:

h3x11
08-21-2003, 08:35 AM
http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_28b97f15c61513ce224750f9db09718a/i-1.JPG
look at it; you will need to cut the inlet & outlet piping and reweld to fit. any AC or muffler place will be able to weld aluminum tube. from there, it should be straight forward for routing the charge pipe under the hood...