PDA

View Full Version : Zerolift mounts with RB25DET S14

drugsbunny
10-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I used zerolift mounts on my RB25DET swap in my s14. and the steering column is touching the downpipe. Any idea what i could do? i contacted zerolift and they told me i need new mounts, they told me to buy nismo or megan since there 1/4 inch higher then stock. but im not trying to spend 200 on engine mounts right now.

Is there anyway i can use spacers or something to lift the engine 1inch or soo. its barley touching but it makes a horrible vibrating sound and locks up on tight turns.

Airborne711
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
you can modify the down pipe, bending it at a sharper angle back towards the tranny. other than that, you would have to bend your whole exhaust and turbo away.

also the new mounts might not even lift it enough, depending on the angle of your down pipe.

i would stick with modding the downpipe its self. easier to mount IMO too

drugsbunny
10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Its touching the dump pipe which is made of cast iron there is no way to bend it. Can i left the engine up using spacers or something?

GSXRJJordan
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I used the Ruckus/Zerolift mounts on my s14, and if you want to run the stock TURBO ELBOW (that's what touches, not the downpipe), you can grind it away where it touches the shaft.

I think its hilarious that a company called 'zerolift' told you to lift the motor lol. Don't lift the engine.

I fabricated my own out of an SSAC divorced elbow, 1.5" and 2.5" flex sections, and my old SR20 downpipe. None of the aftermarket rb25 elbows will work right out of the box.

omgRWDgoodness!
10-15-2010, 12:03 PM
This is why I'll be getting the Syko kit when I do mine.

TheRealSy90
10-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Throw a washer on the motor mount bolts...

drugsbunny
10-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I used the Ruckus/Zerolift mounts on my s14, and if you want to run the stock TURBO ELBOW (that's what touches, not the downpipe), you can grind it away where it touches the shaft.

I think its hilarious that a company called 'zerolift' told you to lift the motor lol. Don't lift the engine.

I fabricated my own out of an SSAC divorced elbow, 1.5" and 2.5" flex sections, and my old SR20 downpipe. None of the aftermarket rb25 elbows will work right out of the box.

How would i fit a grinder between the steering column and the turbo elbow? there touching...

S13NismoStyle
10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
How would i fit a grinder between the steering column and the turbo elbow? there touching...

Maybe try removing the elbow first? lol

GSXRJJordan
10-15-2010, 03:17 PM
This is why I'll be getting the Syko kit when I do mine.

I wasn't aware that Syko still made elbows? Their elbow would work on a Ruckus/Zerolift setup as well, but when I looked into buying one, I couldn't get one for some reason.

Throw a washer on the motor mount bolts...

You're missing the point, you don't want to raise the engine. The timing cover already comes close to the bottom side of the hood, and any lift on the engine will cause driveline misalignment in addition to worse weight distribution.

Fix the problem, the problem is the elbow.

If you honestly can't figure this out, you need to go back to a stock motor and take the car to a mechanic.

TAKE THE ELBOW OUT OF THE CAR.

dsastr_clan
10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
do hockey pucks and make your motor mounts as low or high you may want

GSXRJJordan
10-15-2010, 03:44 PM
do hockey pucks and make your motor mounts as low or high you may want

Worst idea EVER. Stop posting this nonsense.

omgRWDgoodness!
10-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I wasn't aware that Syko still made elbows? Their elbow would work on a Ruckus/Zerolift setup as well, but when I looked into buying one, I couldn't get one for some reason.

Well they do make them, but only include them with the mount kits they sell. I remember seeing a FAQ or thread somewhere where someone asked if they sold the elbows individually and they said no because "(blah blah some marketing noise)." I guess they want people to buy their kits and not just their elbows :p

Neejay
10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I was fortunate enough to find a used Syko elbow for $150. I'm using the early Zerolift mounts + Nismo KA mounts, stock intake manifold, and I had to raise the back of my hood for my hood to close. (thinking about cutting the hood skeleton in the places it touches)

Without a custom elbow, you WILL have to modify the turbo elbow. And yeah, I'd recommend paying $85 or so for a reputable shop to do it if you can't figure it out.