PDA

View Full Version : running waaay too rich on a jwt ecu kat

spartanmisfit
10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
i baught a car earlier this year and have had nothing but trouble with it.which i guess is to be expected. it has a built ka-t. 8.8:1 srias pistons and sportsman rods built and broken in by ams. it also has a ebay fmic, garrett t3/t4 turbo, fpr, oil catch, 550cc deutchworks (sp) injectos, jimwolf tuned ecu, safc2, z32 maf and so on. well when i first got it, it was at 5 lbs of boost and ran pretty rich but ran pretty well. it would load up sometimes but was bearable. i didnt drive it much but one day while i was driving after installed a new hks ssqv bov i heard a loud pop and could immediatelyfeel a boost leak. so i pulled over and sure enough it was. my passenger side of my fmic had been broken somehow. it was really strange how it broke especially considering that i had not anything. the coupling hole or whatever had been bent in and looked like pacman. So I had it repaired by a local weld shop and threw it back on and ever since then my cars been wacko. it is now for some crazy reason at 9 lbs of boost and runs like shit. it wont drive slow period and takes forever to start. its burning absolutely rich. it boosts like a son of a bitch! but at normal speeds and low boosts it stalls non stop. I have bought a new z32 maf and rewired it and it fixed nothing. ive messed with my safc and nothing. pulled my injectors and rail and cleaned everything and still nothing. i even pulled my ecu and called jim wolf tech. and they had nothing. Ive done plenty of research and can find nothing. im finally fed up and i cant sell it because of the problem. id really just love to get it fixed and enjoy it.so untill i can figure it out im doing mad body work. somebody please help me out.

!Zar!
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds like your intercooler is still bunk.

Run a pipe in place of it, and see if anything happens.

Or put a different intercooler on.

Weedm
10-11-2010, 07:36 PM
you said ever since the repair shopped fixed it, it's been wacko? what if your problem was the fmic after all, or perhaps the pipings or couplers? hmm.. weird

spartanmisfit
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Well that's what I intitially thought but I just can't see the intercooler being the problem. First how could that possibly make my boost go up and also it would run worse under boost.

spartanmisfit
10-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Well that's what I intitially thought but I just can't see the intercooler being the problem. First how could that possibly make my boost go up and also it would run worse under boost.

fckillerbee
10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
you could not see how the intercooler is related to your car not functioning correctly...thats like have a hole in your straw and wondering why you can't suck up soda. hmm.

spartanmisfit
10-12-2010, 03:33 PM
No what I'm saying is if the intercooler was leaking at boost I would have hesitation or a bogging but that's not the case. At least that's been my experience. I guess that's why I'm asking in the tech section

fckillerbee
10-12-2010, 03:37 PM
i understand, but I also read what you were saying, and it said that this problem came up after you had the intercooler fixed. That would be the first place I start if I had a problem right after I "fixed" it.

codyace
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
1. Do a boost leak test before blaming it on a tune. Seems like a huge vacuum leak.

2. Take the SAFC off and throw it away

3. I';m surprized JWT even tuned the ECU for the CrapWekrs injectors

nismolvr
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
oK , i KNOW THIS FOR A FACT ! My Sr20det was running fat rich and I had wired it according to JW website Diagram, FAIL!It may apply also for KAt , Dont know if you wired it according to that. But I know that if you wire both grounds together it will run Rich all the time. So make sure both grounds are not wired together ,one needs to be to chassis ground. Hope this helps also.

mattsil80wis
10-12-2010, 04:51 PM
1. Do a boost leak test before blaming it on a tune. Seems like a huge vacuum leak.

I was just about to post this but i knew you would have gotten to it before me

mattsil80wis
10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
oK , i KNOW THIS FOR A FACT ! My Sr20det was running fat rich and I had wired it according to JW website Diagram, FAIL!It may apply also for KAt , Dont know if you wired it according to that. But I know that if you wire both grounds together it will run Rich all the time. So make sure both grounds are not wired together ,one needs to be to chassis ground. Hope this helps also.

Not true because on my old harness i had them wired together and with the new harness it has a body ground. And it still runs great. Maybe you just had a bad connection

spartanmisfit
10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Wow some great help. I'm going to check it all out tonight. Without another intercooler any tips on finding out if that's the problem? Also it was still running pretty shitty but not as bad after the intercooler problem. I am worred that's its running worse because after I replaced the ic the boost went up.

!Zar!
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
If you had a boost leak in the beginning, and it was running rich, maybe you were never hitting your set max boost.

Now that you replaced the intercooler, you don't have a leak and could be boosting higher.

But it still sounds like you have a leak.

Also, you said that you noticed some issues after installing a blow off valve?

Remove it and see what happens.

spartanmisfit
10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Ok I had a moment of clarity. I realized that all of this became noticable after I installed my ssqv. We "temporarily" but forgot about, re routed the vacume line and realized that my
1. Bov
2. Wastegae
3. Fpr
4. Boost gauge

Are all T'd off to the same source. I totally forgot about it. I'm pretty sure that could cause it to act like it is. Whatcha guys think? Also where can I run new lines to?

spartanmisfit
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Ok I had a moment of clarity. I realized that all of this became noticable after I installed my ssqv. We "temporarily" but forgot about, re routed the vacume line and realized that my
1. Bov
2. Wastegae
3. Fpr
4. Boost gauge

Are all T'd off to the same source. I totally forgot about it. I'm pretty sure that could cause it to act like it is. Whatcha guys think? Also where can I run new lines to?

codyace
10-13-2010, 09:17 AM
1. Bov
2. Wastegae
3. Fpr
4. Boost gauge

After the SSQV? Did you recirculate the BOV? That's probably the biggest issue.

I prefer to run a new line to every thing on the car, but at times T'ing somtehing isn't bad.

If I had to pick them in importance

FPR (sourced from manifold)
Gauge (sourced form manifold)
Wastegate (sourced from compressor housing or hotpipe)
BOV (sourced from manifold)

But a leak test works wonders...you'd be surprised

The only FAIL is you, who can't read a wire diagram, or splice. It's worked for hundred of people.

spartanmisfit
10-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Well I ordered a golden eagle vacuum block and installed it and its still running like shit. This is really starting to piss me off. I think I'm going to order a new fmic just to see what happens. Any other ideas?

theboy
10-26-2010, 06:02 AM
well running an open atmosphere bov will cause rich situations, cause your just dumping the air when your off the throttle (all fuel going in with minimal air). As far as the boost pressure spike. It sounds like your intercooler sucked donkey nuts and leaked to where you could only run 5 psi. 5psi on a "built ka-t" is like running a monster truck on low rider wheels. Once you fixed the intercooler, it sounds like it sealed properly and is now running what the waste gate spring is set at.

Now to fix it, recirc your bov, get a boost controller to control your turbo/waste gate, and maybe try stock sr 370cc injectors. 444cc are fine and with the JWT chip it should be under control, but injectors go bad and they could be leaking. But its your car, fix it your way.

sliddinsil8o
10-26-2010, 07:33 AM
i know this is a simple thing but have you ck'd your spark plugs? i noticed you didnt say you ck'd them. from experiance with intercooler piping blowing off and the car running rich the tips will just get coated with carbon and make the car run like absolute dog crap. it might help your situation out a bit. just my .02 cents

lrb99
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
what if when you hit something initially something inside your fmic broke loose and is now causing you these problems i'd run that pipe like the dude said on your first post .you should try it out son

Def
10-31-2010, 07:44 PM

Yes, and I'm surprised on #3 as well. Dave at Dwerks is a nice guy, but I've had some really bad luck trying to tune cars running his injectors. They just don't maintain consistent AFR(probably dribbling out of the seat or spray holes).

I like how Nissan guys use the cheapest crap available for a critical component of their car then are amazed when the whole system doesn't work well.

codyace
11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, and I'm surprised on #3 as well. Dave at Dwerks is a nice guy, but I've had some really bad luck trying to tune cars running his injectors. They just don't maintain consistent AFR(probably dribbling out of the seat or spray holes).

I like how Nissan guys use the cheapest crap available for a critical component of their car then are amazed when the whole system doesn't work well.

Totally agree...it seems that 3/4 of all cars that run them end up having odd fuel issues, or can't maintain. I really noticed this when running them at higher pressure (4bar setups) as well.

Below is a link straight from Jim Wolf Tech, and it alone is a great example of why I'd never EVER run them in my projects. Much like you said, why skimp on the most important part of the setup.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/DRILLEDINJECTORSVSNEW.pdf

spartanmisfit
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Great info thanks guys. The vaccum block didn't work so I'm going to get a new intercooler and possibly ic piping. Getiing new spark plugs and a boost controller. I agree about the injectors. They came witht the car and I shoulda changed em earlier.

Weedm
11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
did you recirculate the ssqv? once you're done with the vacuum rerouting I would get a recirculation kit and see if that does anything.

spartanmisfit
11-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Yea I did that when I installed the b.o.v.