PDA

View Full Version : ignition coil question

KingKong8247
08-18-2003, 12:50 AM
I went on an adventure tonight and tried to hook up an aftermarket tachometer a friend gave me. I know I already have a tach but this is a little sucker that will do me some good when my digital speedo isnt working and Im driving at night with no lights in my guages which sucks balls cause you cant see how fast your going.

I haven't done any electrical stuff in my car yet so this was my first. Most of it went well I guess except I hooked up the power wire to my hazards switch and the thingy just blinks on and off with the blinker sound, Ill have to fix that tommorrow.

Ok now to my question I researched how to put one of these in and how to hook up the wire to read your RPMs. I've read to connect it at your ECU or to connect to your ignition coil's negative wire. Most of them said the coil so I decided to go with that route but I couldnt find out which wire is the negative one. (I also relized I need a FSM badly) So which is the negative wire coming out of the coil the black one or the green one???? I picked the green one and the rpms read but are a little off so I was wondering if it was the wrong one. Just want to make sure. Thanks

CLIFF NOTE: Which is the negative wire coming out of the ignition coil the black one or the green one????

KingKong8247
08-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Anybody??

KingKong8247
08-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I found the answer the green wire is the negative wire and the black is positive just for future reference for someone else

ryan hagen
11-09-2003, 10:20 AM
is the all black one positive or the black/red stripe one pos? thanks