PDA

View Full Version : ka24e starter off and on engaging ? clicking noise,

drifterdave
10-08-2010, 10:41 PM
hey guys,
ok first off ive searched around a little bit but i couldnt come up with any anything that could help me, so heres what i got, My 89 sohc ka24e the starter will sometimes engaging but usally does not. when it doesnt i have to put the car into 1st gear, and roll the car forword, i guess to help get the starter to allign maybe? and then after a couple of times it of clicking it will engage. so i was wondering is it possible i dont have the starter alligned right? but i belive there is only 2 holes that it can go in to, so im pretty sure i didnt fuck that up. i also replaced my oem flywheel with a xtd light weight one, i dont know if that would matter? maybe if there is a diffrence in dohc and sohc. i belive i have all ground wires attached, how ever i do have a small black wire next to the oil filter that i have no clue were it goes and it doesnt reach the starter. even when my battery is fully charged it still doesnt it too. and i dont think the stater is bad how ever i maybe wrong. if you guys have any suggestion please let me know, and please so fucking "SEARCH".

thanks,
dave

bb4_96
10-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Starter doesn't have to be aligned. Is the starter gear actually engaging the new flywheel? Is you car grounded well enough? I had some starter troubles and it was grounds. But with your problem I would look at your aftermarket part first.

drifterdave
10-09-2010, 01:22 PM
@bb4_96: alright ill will check, my is is ground well, i have made a couple of aftermarket grounds as well, so the car is grounded but i do have one wire that is out of place, that i will try and look up, and the aftermarket flywheel is kinda a bitch to look at since its in the transmission and i dont really feel like droping it again, lol, but ill try n look into it, thanks

!Zar!
10-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Check your starter relay. Blue relay between battery and passenger side fender.

locoluna825
10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
THis is SOOO COmmon in the KA's, I would first Try charging your battery all night with a charger. Check your battery terminals, Are they old and corroded?? How old is your battery? and What are the COld cranking amps on your current batter??
My car does this all the time. I run a battery with the minum cold cranking amperage rating for my type of car. Ive noticed upgrading to something with 550 to 600 is sooo much better than a 450. My friends have better batterys than me. I give my battery a good charge every once in a while. and that issue will go away for about a week. My battery is only 2 years old. but ive gone through everything else, Starter, Cables, BAttery clamps. and ive come up with the conclusion that im running to old, To cheap, and to minumum of a Cold Crank Rating type of battery.

modulation
10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
hey guys,
ok first off ive searched around a little bit but i couldnt come up with any anything that could help me, so heres what i got, My 89 sohc ka24e the starter will sometimes engaging but usally does not. when it doesnt i have to put the car into 1st gear, and roll the car forword, i guess to help get the starter to allign maybe? and then after a couple of times it of clicking it will engage. so i was wondering is it possible i dont have the starter alligned right? but i belive there is only 2 holes that it can go in to, so im pretty sure i didnt fuck that up. i also replaced my oem flywheel with a xtd light weight one, i dont know if that would matter? maybe if there is a diffrence in dohc and sohc. i belive i have all ground wires attached, how ever i do have a small black wire next to the oil filter that i have no clue were it goes and it doesnt reach the starter. even when my battery is fully charged it still doesnt it too. and i dont think the stater is bad how ever i maybe wrong. if you guys have any suggestion please let me know, and please so fucking "SEARCH".

thanks,
dave

Next time it doesn't work instead of rolling the car forward or whatever, just try smacking the starter with a large wrench or something and see if it starts then.

That's what happened to mine and it turned out to be the starter.

Have you ever replaced your starter? If you haven't or even if you have but like 2+ years ago I'd try a new starter.

nevertheless
10-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Make sure you have the starter wired up right. positive to positive

drifterdave
10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
THis is SOOO COmmon in the KA's, I would first Try charging your battery all night with a charger. Check your battery terminals, Are they old and corroded?? How old is your battery? and What are the COld cranking amps on your current batter??
My car does this all the time. I run a battery with the minum cold cranking amperage rating for my type of car. Ive noticed upgrading to something with 550 to 600 is sooo much better than a 450. My friends have better batterys than me. I give my battery a good charge every once in a while. and that issue will go away for about a week. My battery is only 2 years old. but ive gone through everything else, Starter, Cables, BAttery clamps. and ive come up with the conclusion that im running to old, To cheap, and to minumum of a Cold Crank Rating type of battery.

yea im not too sure what the cca is on my battery but ill look, its a group sized 27 i belive, and all termainals are brand new, i used to work at a auto parts store so i got things at a discount :)

Check your starter relay. Blue relay between battery and passenger side fender.

ahh ok, cool ill deffintley check in to this for sure! thanks !ZAR!

Make sure you have the starter wired up right. positive to positive

ok i check, just positive from starter to positive to battery right?

Next time it doesn't work instead of rolling the car forward or whatever, just try smacking the starter with a large wrench or something and see if it starts then.

That's what happened to mine and it turned out to be the starter.

Have you ever replaced your starter? If you haven't or even if you have but like 2+ years ago I'd try a new starter.

alright ill try that too, lol i had a old rolla were i had to SMACK the starter to get the shit to work. lol , and yea the starter i replaced about 6 months ago or so, when i re did my transmission.

tahnks for the help guys ill check it all out and get back to yall

zylvia213
10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
First thing first check all your cables really good, sometimes they seem good but theres corrosion inside the cables or if they are loose. Definitely check the clutch interlock relay... you can by pass it to check and see if thats the issue. If not take the starter off and get it checked and also the battery. You might want to check voltage on the ignition switch I had the same problem on one of my s13's and it ended up being the ignition switch.

Heres a list of the things it can be:

1. battery cables
2. battery
3. starter
4. clutch interlock relay
5. ignition switch electrical piece.

Start with the cheapest things first before wasting your money on the wrong parts. Good Luck

drifterdave
10-14-2010, 12:59 AM
First thing first check all your cables really good, sometimes they seem good but theres corrosion inside the cables or if they are loose. Definitely check the clutch interlock relay... you can by pass it to check and see if thats the issue. If not take the starter off and get it checked and also the battery. You might want to check voltage on the ignition switch I had the same problem on one of my s13's and it ended up being the ignition switch.

Heres a list of the things it can be:

1. battery cables
2. battery
3. starter
4. clutch interlock relay
5. ignition switch electrical piece.

Start with the cheapest things first before wasting your money on the wrong parts. Good Luck

hey on the ignition switch, i do have my electric fans wired into the ignition switch, think that could be the problem? but ill check it for sure

Rabboni
10-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Pull out your DMM and do a voltage drop test on your starter supply circuit. You shouldnt have more than .5 volts for the entire circuit.

drifterdave
10-14-2010, 01:29 AM
sorry but what is a DMM?

Rabboni
10-15-2010, 01:46 AM
DMM: Digital Multi Meter. Also known as a DVOM, or Digital Volt Ohms Meter. Since i have to explain this to you you probably wont know how to use it, so look it up on youtube and there are some pretty informative clips on how to test with it.

drifterdave
10-15-2010, 06:43 PM
DMM: Digital Multi Meter. Also known as a DVOM, or Digital Volt Ohms Meter. Since i have to explain this to you you probably wont know how to use it, so look it up on youtube and there are some pretty informative clips on how to test with it.

ohh i gotcha, mulit meater, yea ill check it out, ive used one alot just never hurd it called a dmm. lol

Rabboni
10-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Ok, my bad for assuming you didnt know how to use one. So just do your voltage drop tests and find out where youre losing voltage.

240sohc
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
i've had on again off again starting issues too. first i had to replace the starter relay switch(push start by yourself sucks). then it was the battery, car came with a small, weak battery that ALWAYS leaked; got an optima to handle all the sliding. still intermintent starting, clicking and having to crank key several times. recently i tested my starter and it passed but it sounded like it was struggling compared to the new one i bought and tested. lastly, i did a full tune up, found old rotor was worn badly and i bought a new coil ignition. been a couple of days and car starts like a champ now.

zylvia213
10-17-2010, 11:44 PM
hey on the ignition switch, i do have my electric fans wired into the ignition switch, think that could be the problem? but ill check it for sure

I doubt that would be a porblem. Also check the volts on the ignition switch w/ a DMM if the voltage is low that can be a problem...

redline240sx
10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but I am having the exact same problem. How do you test the ignition switch?

klits562
10-25-2010, 05:50 PM
When you turn they key, can you hear the starter click every time you turn it or are there times when the starter wont even click?