PDA

View Full Version : Took the head off

DMC
08-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey guys i found the right tool to take off my head IT WAS 5 DOLLARS!!! well i bought it anyway i took off the head and BAM the 2 middle pistons are at the same height and so are the 2 outer pistons i was scared but after turning the crank for an hour watching them go up and down i concluded that it was correct and i had false knowledge of the way the pistons went up and down. Anyway i wanna check and make sure my engines ok so can you guys give me some tips too look for? like there were little black flakes on top of the pistons is that bad?? and the wals are kinda ruff up north any thing else i should look fo rwould be helpful

AceInHole
08-16-2003, 10:13 PM
hmm... pics of what you're talking about would help.

DMC
08-16-2003, 10:19 PM
yea ill try maybe my frend will come take some

AceInHole
08-16-2003, 10:32 PM
i'm guessing the black flakes are just from taking the head off, shaking some carbon deoposits off of the top of the combustion chamber.

what do you mean by the walls are roughed up? the tops of the cylinder walls? how much of the wall is roughed up>???

zero.counter
08-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DMC
Hey guys i found the right tool to take off my head IT WAS 5 DOLLARS!!!
I don't know man, at first I thought about that asian fellow who was riding a motorcycle behind a truck with huge pipes. One flew back and took out about a half of the guy's neck. His head slumped over and while in shock, he bundled his jacked and used it as support for his head and drove to the hospital.

Where did you get the tool?

Muzzy
08-16-2003, 11:03 PM
damn chapeskate...its only 5 bucks:rolleyes:

transient
08-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
I don't know man, at first I thought about that asian fellow who was riding a motorcycle behind a truck with huge pipes. One flew back and took out about a half of the guy's neck. His head slumped over and while in shock, he bundled his jacked and used it as support for his head and drove to the hospital.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

Muzzy
08-16-2003, 11:31 PM
yea tool to take his head off...haha...no..:rolleyes:
a failed atemept at being funny:axe:

russian
08-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter

Where did you get the tool?

:loco: :loco: damn dude your of the wall....

Bill Roberts
08-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Carbon deposits..(black flakes) normal./ Take a small wire brush and a shop vac....they will be gone. Do it on each sets of pistons up top...dont let that crap go down the hole..(even though it probably want hurt anything)

What was the reason to remove the head? (I may not have seen any of your other postings)

>?

zero.counter
08-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Muzzy
yea tool to take his head off...haha...no..:rolleyes:
a failed atemept at being funny:axe:
Hey Muzzy, get bent man. :)

Defy
08-17-2003, 10:56 PM
i don't know too much about all these jap engines but i have built a few Chevey 350's in my day and some of the things are the same. so lets answers some quetions as stated above why did you take the head off? is the engine in the car? are you rebuilding the engine? personaly, if i had the head off i would go ahead and take it somewhere and get it built and if i had the engine broken down that much i would go all the way!!

misnomer
08-17-2003, 10:56 PM
Just curious, but since the cylinders move in pairs and the ignition is in sequence, aren't the pistons being fired at different levels of compresson?

Defy
08-17-2003, 11:06 PM
basic theroy of a four stroke engine suck, squeeze, bang, blow, i could be totaly off but i don't think the pistons move in pairs and the ingition just goes something like 1,4,2,3 or somthing like that because if you look at the rotor only one sparkplug is firing at a time. so no only one piston is in the compresion stroke at a time the others are either in the intake,exaust, or power stroke. Theres my 2 cents take it for what it's worth

uiuc240
08-18-2003, 07:48 AM
So did you inspect the head gasket and all that? How did it look? And yes, the scoring on the walls could be a problem...pics please.

Oh, and stop turning the motor with no oil ;) It's ok a few times, but you said you turned it for an hour?! Do you mean you turned it a bit, waited and turned it some more? Hope so... I'm not sure of the rules for doing that, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Those walls are just about bone dry right now and those rings are just scraping along them...ouch!

So what else do you see? Smell? Feel?

Eric

DMC
08-18-2003, 09:04 AM
haha well i took the head off because i need to figure out hwhy my intake cam is unusually worn, and i am doing a complet overhaul on the engine, the hour ting i was only kidding, i have yet to look at the bottom of the head im not sure why i didnt think to but im dumb my dad said that what looks like it being rough on the top of the walls is just carbon build up that the piston didnt remove because it doesnt go thhat high othere than that te black flakes were my only concern and the pistons are kinda dirty i was going to take te pistons out and acid bath the block but thaan i realized i dont have the slightest cclue how, i have just been takin this engine apart by the little knowledge i have of engines, my dad said we can look at te piston rings and if tey are fine i should not take te pistons out, what do you guys think? also where would i get the head planed down??? Also the engine is not in my car, i plan on porting out my head te best i can by myself, thhe tool i bought from autozone. ok well i would love some suggestions, i think this engine is in great shape other than the cams. also how do i check to see if the springs are stuck? Or what you said may cause the cam wear? THanks GUYS

Defy
08-18-2003, 09:17 AM
ok that makes alittle more sense, what i would... for what its worth... is take the block to a machine shop i think Napa autoparts does it and see if the block meets specs or if it needs to be bored out and bigger piston rings and stuff. if the block is in good enough condition just get them to clean it and hone the cylinders and acid bath it for you. ok next question are you building it back stock? or going with preformance mods? if your going preformance mods i would buy new pistons,cam, exc... also i would pay some one to port, polish, and rebuild your head cause if you don't know what your doing you could jack things up hardcore like! take some pics of the cylinders and we might could help you better

Defy
08-18-2003, 09:18 AM
o ya i have a 95 as well and i have the magic black book that tells all about the engine

mbmbmb23
08-18-2003, 10:18 AM
DMC,

When you come to get those seats I'll show you all the tools that my dad has that he's used to port+polish his engine. For porting you can use a Dremel (would recommend non-cordless). Theres some engine shops here in NC....I think in Concord (Nascar) that sell porting kits with all kinds of neat Dremel tips. You have to spray WD-40 on them when you use them so the aluminum doesnt stick to the bits when it heats up.

Also you can use a homemade tool that hooks onto your drill. Its basically 3-4 chunks of scotch brite (1 inch by 3 inch rectangles) screw-clamped together on the end of a rod that attaches to your drill. You can use that to get up inside your intake manifold. You dont want to do too much to the intake because the air/fuel combines better if the air is tumbling a bit. You do however want to gasket match (buy a new gasket....trace the gasket port pattern onto the intake flanges....then grind it to match). For the exhaust you DO want it as smooth as possible so carbon buildups have nowhere to cling to.

If I were you I'd tear down the engine and get the block boiled. This will remove all gunk and then you can have the engine block specs measured to see if its ok.

-m

DMC
08-18-2003, 03:23 PM
OK yea i would like to build it up i am definatly putting in new cams( i had one worn down) the springs and lifters(i think thats what the things that push the valves downa are called). Pistons seem too much for me almost a grand ?!?! thats alot. All the gaskets are getting replaced an i will be porting and polishing it to the best of my abilities. Thanks

Bill Roberts
08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Let me get something strait.

He knows so very little that he wants to look at the rings without taking the pistons out..and we are talking about porting and polishing here?

My analogy of that is a 3 year old kid jumping into an INDY car and winning by 2 laps.

No offence...but you need to learn more before you ruin something by accident.\\\

INSERT EDIT>>
I mean really...you do have to start somewhere. Tearing into something without a step by step of knowledge of all that can happen before, during and after spells Trouble with a big T^ and wasted money..and discouragement. I have seen your motor..it is a mess. IT needs TLC...done right...babysteps. We can help...but really..Get to know first hand and do not listen to a wannabee ricer....saying this and that. Port and polish is a massive undertaking for the most experienced..one slip-up...RUINED HEAD =1000 Dollars!!! EDIT OFF<<

Work with someone that has hands on experience...someone who has torn down and rebuilt a few motors sucessfully.

AND..
I would advise reading a bunch of books about cars and engines (basic to technical) and I would not turn anymore bolts until you have a full understanding of what you are getting into. Trying to port a head without hands on experience of an expert in that field spells a looming disaster in the making.

To even see the rings, one must remove the pistons.

Defy
08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
good call

DMC
08-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Its an engine i know im gonna get flamed for saying this but it isnt nearly as compliacted as you are making it out to seem, the only reason im porting is because a friend of mine told me aceinhole did it with a dremel and different heads, i had originally planned to pay someone, also the piston rings my dad said we could look at before taking out the pistons...it didnt make sense to me so maybe he was talking about a compression test. Bill I respect your opinion because a good friend of mine said that you always know what your talking about. I guess the reason i was eager to open this engine up so quick is because people were saying the engine was a mess. All I need to do is to replace the cams and lifters and springs clean out the oil rails. buy appropriate gaskets, clean the head out, put everything back together and torque it all correctly and the engine will start up fine there is no doubt in my mind about that, so i am confused when u say things that could go wrong. honestly im not trying to say you are incorrect but I would prefer you to offer a little more of an explanation than just saying stuff could go wrong...also I have no one I know with more hands on engine experience to help me so if anyone is in virginia and wants to come by and give me a hand feel free. also i would like to have the engine boiled or something to clean ot the oil passages because it looks to me like the owner never changed his oil.

Bill Roberts
08-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Wow , it got too late to write a good follow-up tonight but I promise I will answer your vibe on this and whatever I can do that is helpful...I will be happy to do (just got in and have to sleep and be at work in 4 hrs)

Just don't take it the wrong way...I just hate that all that metal grinding of the cam lobe got all through your engine acting as sandpaper..and we know it got every oil should flow.

It is not just the top end...there were metal shavings floating around everywhere and I would not trust doing a nice head job without verifying the bottom end does not have some abnormal wear.

The worst would be to do what you are thinking is good..to have the 2nd cylinder journal give out....100 miles after the top end work.

Got to look at it all for peace of mind there buddy..

I wanna be helpful and make something happen for you that is meaninful. Sorry if I came off harsh...but it is quite true that...you need to get in there and do it as proper as can be.

We are here to help...however we can.

Damn it is late..see ya tomorrow on this. when I can think strait and spell without typos..

DMC
08-19-2003, 11:49 AM
How can i be sure that the grinded metal got to the entire engine? I see that there is metal all in the head trapped in the nasty crusty oil so what ameks you sure that it got the pistons? and if it did can i have the cylinder walls bored out slightly and buy forged larger pistons? Yea i understand what your saying bill, i dont want to ruin this but i dont want it to just sit around in my garage until i decide to sell it for less than i paid. I willl try to get some pics today and post them thanks alot i know your just trying to help. ANd thanks everyone else for the help o by the way bill i still dont understand the analogy of a litte kid jumping into a nascar and winning by 2 laps....i just dont get the winnign by 2 laps part

Defy
08-19-2003, 12:43 PM
yes you can bore out the cylinders but you might not need to. if you have no clue what your doing then i would sugest finding someone who does near you to help or read up on engines abunch.

ok on boreing look in the cylinders if you see gouges in the cylinder walls then yes you HAVE to get it bored out, if not next check at the top of the cylinders where the cyclinders meet the head, if there is a prettey big lip (refer to the picture) then you will proably have to get it bored out too. if those two things are good then you should just be able to get it honed.

if you want i will photo copy the engine specs from the FSM for you just let me know

DMC
08-19-2003, 03:20 PM
hey man theresnt a lip it is more like carbon buildup what should i use to clean it off to not scratch the walls. also the walls dont have gouges the have like a cross pattern of scratches that are all identical on eac cylinder so i guess they are there form the factory i am really trying to get some pics im glad everyone is still trying to help me even though it takes awhile, also i have the fsm and i have read the important parts thanks alot

-Dave

BeatJunky
09-05-2003, 02:53 AM
So any end result or are we still working on her?

I'm very interested as I may purchase a used SOHC for my '90 Coupe which is giving me a world of problems. I'd like to test, clean and rebuild her myself if isn't all too difficult. I have a fair knowledge along with my friends and along with Zilvia's help and other text related info I'm confident I can pull this off.

-Omar