PDA

View Full Version : front rotor removal

davejaw
08-16-2003, 12:21 PM
im need need of desperate help =(

ive read at least 10 step by steps on removing the front rotor but i get several different stories. a pretty common one is the front rotors should slide off after removing the calipers. for me, this isnt true. my chilton's manual says i have to take off the wheel hub but is lacking in detail and doesnt have a picture. i've gotten as far as removing the rotor with the wheel hub. i didnt want to go any further because i might disassemble something i dont want to disassemble. please help!

thank you

Dousan_PG
08-16-2003, 12:48 PM
details on car? 240sx (all generations) and z32 are same (zilvia is z32, silvia/240sx)

jack up car and put on stands
remove wheels
remove two bolts that hold caliper in
remove caliper (leave brake line on, just put caliper to side
remove rotor

reverse for reinstall
dont forget to torque to spec ;)

edit: you also might need a cclamp to compress the piston in caliper if the pads wont fit the new rotor.

davejaw
08-16-2003, 01:49 PM
i have a 1993 240sx fastback non abs.

i have removed the caliper. the rotor does not come off.

knightrider
08-16-2003, 02:54 PM
take off the wheels, remove the caliper, there are 2 bolts holding it on, then remove the caliper mounting bracket, which is 2 more bolts, if the rotor doesnt come off, hit it with a hammer, its probably siezed onto the hub with rust, it shouldnt be too stuck on there. remember if you replace the rotors, you also need to replace the pads, worn pads on a new rotor isnt good.

240trainee
08-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Yea the rotor is rusted onto the wheel studs, just bang on it on the back till it comes off:p

sykikchimp
08-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by knightrider
remember if you replace the rotors, you also need to replace the pads, worn pads on a new rotor isnt good.

not true.. old pads on new rotors is fine. I know plenty of guys (myself included) that prefer bedding new rotors with old pads.

allmotorKA
08-17-2003, 12:15 AM
Just FYI, correct terminology is as follows:
Pads are "bedded". Rotors are "seasoned".

It is easier to "season" new rotors with old pads which are already "bedded". "Seasoning" new rotors is a totally different process to "bedding" brake pads. Do a google search to read up on the differences and procedures.

Also, the only time that I know of when you should not mix old and new stuff is if you change carbon compound pads with non carbon compound pads (not sure why anyone would do this) then the rotors should be changed (or I think they can be turned to remove the carbon loading on the rotors...not sure though). The carbon deposits on the rotors from carbon compound pads help the carbon pads brake but non carbon content pads will have a hard time gripping the carbon loaded rotor.

davejaw
08-17-2003, 03:17 PM
thanks for all of your help guys. and yes.. i did remove the caliper.

i went and got two 10mm bolts and screwed them into the two empty holes. eventually the rotors did come off.

guess they were stuck =)