PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 cams

DMC
08-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Ok first off im sorry if it seems i am clogging the chat forum i just have alot to ask because i am actually DOING something to my car.

Well anyway as some of you know i need to replace my cams on my sr20 redtop and i was wondering what suggestions you have for my car and do cams let you rev higher? maybe someone can explain this ok well if u need o know anything else for suggestions its completely stock adnything else just ask

kazuo
08-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by DMC
Ok first off im sorry if it seems i am clogging the chat forum i just have alot to ask because i am actually DOING something to my car

I'm not even going near this one.

DMC
08-15-2003, 11:28 PM
waht i dont like to **** people off and people on this forum get mad easy

Ryan of Velocity
08-16-2003, 01:37 AM
It's all relative to what you are currently running and your goals for your "completed" setup. What are your current mods? If you are still running a stock turbine with bolt ons, boost controller, mild injector upgrade then you don't want very aggressive cams. Mild 256/264 cams from HKS are a good start, they'll give you some more power, better revs, and won't kill your idle. When you throw in aggressive cams you get a **** more valve overlap and idle goes to hell. Not great for a street car.

Blah, I shouldn't be typing this I'm half asleep and Voyager is about to come on. Jeri Ryan is muy caliente mujeres!

DMC
08-16-2003, 08:02 AM
ok well i plan on running 12 lbs max on the stock turbine and i will hav 3"-3 1/2" exhaust and I'll have a 300zx fuel pump(maybe walbro) K&N cone filter and a fmic and i have yet to dcide my boost controller i will also be using stock injectors and ecu. My goal fr when the engine first goes in is to have a driveable car that can run the quarter in a high 12. Im not sure if this is overestimating the mds i will have done but hopefully i will have a short shifter 300zx 8.5" wide tires on back 300zx lsd along with the said mods.

Jsquared
08-16-2003, 02:28 PM
haha, try high 13s. that's all the stock T25 will get you.

Ok first off im sorry if it seems i am clogging the chat forum i just have alot to ask because i am actually DOING something to my car.

actually DOING something, wow :rolleyes: lots of people here do stuff to their cars, that's why we have a TECH section for TECHNICAL questions.

DMC
08-16-2003, 03:00 PM
ha dont make me seem like an asshole i meant by saying actually doing something that I PERSONALLY never do anything to my 240 therefore i never have questions to ask so beign here for over a yr and people not know who i am means i havent posted alot

PSI240SX
08-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Jsquared
haha, try high 13s. that's all the stock T25 will get you.

Talk to Ken at Enjuku about that statistic... He ran 12.8 on his stock t25.

stp9154
08-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Don't get HKS cams. For the same amount of money or maybe a little more, get JUN. It's hard to find, but much better. I found one website that carry JUN cams and they are the same price as HKS; http://shopctc.site.yahoo.net/jun256camfor.html

uiuc240
08-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by stp9154
Don't get HKS cams. For the same amount of money or maybe a little more, get JUN. It's hard to find, but much better. I found one website that carry JUN cams and they are the same price as HKS; http://shopctc.site.yahoo.net/jun256camfor.html

:rolleyes: :D How so? Unless you know the different lift specs, a 256 cam is a 256 cam. I'm sure the overlap and grinds are minorly different...but still. Just because you like JUN and this other guy likes HKS doesn't really tell us anything. Do you have dyno charts? If the JUN makes 1 more hp or something, and it means that it's a b*tch to get...I'm not interested.

DMC...you need the Rocker Arm Stopper kits to rev higher. Tomei, JUN, etc...take your pick.

Oh, and make sure to remove, clean, and reinstall your oil tube up there that run along the cams.

Did you check the valve? Are any of them stuck? Any idea what caused the cam to get so badly scored in the first place? (That IS why you took the head off....)

Eric

stp9154
08-18-2003, 08:37 AM
It's not that i like JUN better than HKS. I've heard that HKS cams can be crack and break. Final decision is definitely up to the guy. I'm just telling him of what i've heard.

DMC
08-18-2003, 08:51 AM
well i still have a little bit of time before i decide thank hyou for your help so i guess i should get mild cams? thanks alot for your replies, what are rocker arm stopper kits? andehat do they do to allow the engine to rev higher? Has anhhyone else heard anything bad about hks? Also has anyone heard anyting about the cams enjukuracing sells?? Thanks alot for your help, sorry i haevent replied im up at virginia tech.

Ryan of Velocity
08-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by stp9154
It's not that i like JUN better than HKS. I've heard that HKS cams can be crack and break. Final decision is definitely up to the guy. I'm just telling him of what i've heard.

I have plenty of experience with HKS cams and have never had a problem with them. No quality issues and that's not "heresay" it's first hand experience. I've also had first hand experience with Jun products and I will never use them again.

DMC - Rocker arm stoppers are definantly a good buy. They are cheap and allow for higher, safer reving. Basically it's a set of "braces" for each rocker arm that keeps them from moving eccessively under high rpms. HKS, Tomei, Jun, and I think Toda makes a set and they're all under 100.00.

SRDarkcyde
08-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Well I got HKS cams on my blacktop, 256/264. It messes with your idle slightly and you can really hear the overlap. I think they are fine, just make sure to get some valve springs as well, and make sure someone tunes everything for you, hehe, unless of course you can tune it yourself, in either case, make sure it gets tuned to maximize the new cams.

stp9154
08-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Ok, i do apologize.

SRDarkcyde
08-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Haha, no need to apologize man, we all "hear" things. But yeah I've had them for about..a month, and everything is cool, but I have to stress you MUST get springs!

DMC
08-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Ok thanks for helping ,so does anyone think i should not buy the hks cams from enjukuracing?? If i do buy them what degreee would you reccomend and what is the difference between step 2 and step 1? also if i am planning for about 350 hp should i buy a clutch that supports 450 hp to play it safe or a clutch that supports 380 hp? would i feel alot of difference in everyday driving? Thanks guys for all the help

SRDarkcyde
08-19-2003, 11:01 PM
I would just go with step one cams which would be 256/264. Step two would basically be 264/272. If you plan to be full on racer, by all means go step 2, but if you still want to daily drive this beast just go with step 1. The reason is your idle will be really wild if you go step 2, plus if you have an S14 SR, you will lose the VVTC(variable valve timing control) if you go step 2. Go with just a mild clutch, if you get one thats too race orientated you will hate it in traffic. How much are you looking to spend for these cams?

DMC
08-19-2003, 11:17 PM
the step one and step 2 from enjuku have the same degree just dofferent steps can anyone tell me what that means..? thans alot srdark i have a redtop and i plan on daily driving but i would like some high hp #'s

Ryan of Velocity
08-20-2003, 12:11 AM
The difference between Step 1 and Step 2 is not in the duration but in the lift. If your car is going to be a dedicated daily driver and not a weekend warrior I would go with Step 1.

And Enjuku is a great joint to go with. They got us out of a bind on a couple of occasions:)

DMC
08-20-2003, 12:15 AM
thanks ryan i guess im going to buy those cams after i save up enuff it may be awhile my job sucks