PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Won't Fall

thelinja
08-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Trans. is unbolted from engine, front section of driveshaft is out, crossmember taken off, tranny will not come out. The crossmember was hitting an exhaust hanger so we took it out. It seems like it's hitting then tunnel when we go to pull away from engine. Any tips or tricks? Or just keep giving it hell till it drops? The farthest we could pull it was 3-4 inches away from the engine, obviously not far enough for the input shaft to clear the pressure plate teeth. Thanks for any help.

btw, car is S14.

Bill Roberts
08-15-2003, 09:21 PM
Jeeze, why did you not just pull the whole shaft and the center support for the D shaft?

Only 6 screws.

Support damper and tranny mount, all the screws...and...

You must pick up on it big time at the tail shaft. Someone needs to be pulling back while someone else is shaking the tranny tail up and down. Pull toggle up and down and be ready with a floor jack to support the weight.

When doing it myself, I always use the help of the floor jack.

You did take your slave cyl off right?

If the clutch is disintegrated, then you will need to use some force, as the clutch disc has no "hold" and is flopping around and binding on the shaft teeth.

thelinja
08-15-2003, 09:30 PM
Removal of the front half of the DS was only 4 bolts. Slave cylinder is off along with the electrical harnesses for the speed sensor, etc. We'll try again tomorrow with two people under the car. Tonight we had a jack at the front of the tranny and someone at the back wiggling/pulling. We probably just weren't pushing up hard enough at the tail end. Thanks Bill.

Bill Roberts
08-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Good luck Man. You will get it.

You might try having someone turning the rear shaft back and forth with it in 4th. That way if the teeth are cinched, you can at least get lucky if the clutch is flopping around (disc)

PS, my advice sucks, so take it for what it is worth.

pr240sx
08-15-2003, 10:54 PM
to do it is remove all the obvious parts (shift lever, Slave cyl, sensor harness, driveshaft, tranny mount and cat hanger)
Drain oil
Pull the tranny slightly backward, you will have a 1-2 inches gap between engine and tranny.
Turn the tranny sideways so that the starter "hump" is pointing to the floor, then pull back and it will fall.

The ideal setyup is using 2 people, if you need to doit yoursefl (like I do) I use some security wire at the shifter hole to hang the tranny from there, then pull,twist and remove

Really simple, just exhausting
for installing is just the reverse of removing, if you dont have a clutch aligment tool, dont buy it!! use some crazy glue at the clutch disc and pressure plate, 4 drops will do.
the glue them together and install the pressure plate.
Whe you start your car, the glue will melt loose and work perfectly!!

PSI240SX
08-16-2003, 07:30 AM
try the old SR method and turn the tranny almost upside down... it will come out.