PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle (low) and vibration on s14??

240fame
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey guys!
ok so bought my s14 last week and started cleaning up the engine bay.
I was gonna put electric fans, air intake, new valve gasket, and paint the valve cover.
Then i started cleaning the engine bay w/ engine degreaser so i took off the distributor cap stuff.
So Today i put together the intake and the valve cover and started the car.
the car started up but it was idleing rough and low. And thier was vibrations from the engine?
The car felt like it wants to die...then i shut it off.
So im confused wat is causing this problem.

Also i checked the FSM and it says that distributor have to be lined up..so is that my problem? or would something else cause this issue?
need help asap..thanks

240fame
09-30-2010, 10:16 PM
And also the car does not have the mechanical fan installed since i am waiting to put the electric fans on..

240fame
10-02-2010, 04:53 PM
ok so i tried to adjust the distributor cap..now it does'nt even start? can someone help me out???
i really need the car to be working??'
thanks

javib00st
10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
what do you mean adjust the cap? As in changing the timing? what happens when tried to give it gas?

240fame
10-02-2010, 05:03 PM
In the FSM page 96 ( http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1997/em.pdf )
it says to line the marks on the shaft of the distributor..thats wat i did.
but it won't start for some reason??
when it won't start i gave it gas but it won't turn on?

javib00st
10-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, I meant before you tried adjusting the distributor. You sure you have the cap on right? sounds like you're not getting spark and/or fuel.

240fame
10-02-2010, 09:44 PM
i put it on the way i took it out...but how would i fix this? any ideas?
damn i thought this would be easy i was only gonna paint the valve cover...

HPKMotorsports3
10-02-2010, 09:57 PM
check if your gettin spark... then if you are check if your getting fuel...then we can go from there helping you trouble shoot

240fame
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
ok im gonna check for spark...but how would i go about checking if im getting fuel???

240fame
10-05-2010, 07:14 PM
any help on checking the fuel and spark? how would i check them? also i adjusted 1 cylinder to TDC and distributor to 9'oclock position but it wouldn't start. Also i can smell gas when i am cranking the car over?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

idlafie
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Congratulations on your recent purchase of your 240sx. Best way to troubleshoot your car is to take advantage of the information here on Zilvia. First things first, use the SEARCH function here on Zilvia to find the appropriate model year Factory Service Manual for your car. After you download it, follow the procedures listed to put your Engine Control Module, (ECM/ECU), into Diagnostic Mode. See what Diagnostic Trouble Codes your ECM/ECU kick out. OR you can use a OBD II code reader if you have one available - all S14 are OBD II compliant & you can use a scan tool to read those codes. Using the ECM or the OBD II scan tool, you can easily figure out what may be the cause of your No Start problem.

As for testing for fuel & spark, go back to the basics. TAKE ALL THE APPROPRIATE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS BEFORE USING THESE suggestions. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN HAND WITH A BUDDY READY TO HOSE YOU & THE CAR DOWN WITH THE EXTINGUISHER IF SOMETHING SHOULD GO WRONG!!! Remove the existing fuel line from the top portion of your fuel filter. Take an extra long fuel line & connect one end to your fuel filter in the engine compartment. Place the other end in a plastic container or jar and have someone start your car. If your fuel pump is working properly, you should see gasoline pouring out of your fuel line & into your container. Turn the ignition off immediately after you see fuel coming out. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO EXPOSE YOURSELF TO ANY OPEN FLAME OR IGNITION SOURCE WHEN USING THIS TEST METHOD.

Once you verifed that you are getting fuel to the fuel rail, reconnect the existing fuel line back to the top of your fuel filter an tighten down the clamp making sure the fuel line is properly connected. Use the Factory Service Manual, (FSM), and check to make sure the wires on your distributor cap are in their proper locations. Remove the #1 spark plug wire from the #1 spark plug. Take a spark plug socket remover & remove the #1 spark plug. Once you have the #1 spark plug removed from the engine, place the #1 spark plug back into the #1 spark plug wire. While someone is turning your ignition key to the START position, hold the #1 spark plug/wire combination really close to your engine block....we're talking like an 1/8 of an inch or less...and check to see if you see a spark while the engine is being turned over. If you see a spark then you know your distributor/coil is good. If not, then you'll have to check your Factory Service Manual to troubleshoot your distributor/coil pickup to see if they are properly aligned & working.

Chances are, if you are smelling gasoline while you are trying to start your car, then your fuel pump is probably working & you are getting fuel to the injectors & throttle body. Since you mentioned you pulled the distributor, then you might have the timing off, hence the No Start. Remove the distributor & using the FSM follow the directions to reinstall the distributor. IF THE MOTOR STILL REFUSES TO START, then check the ground wires on the driver side of the motor by the exhaust manifold & above the 0xygen sensor. On an S14, this spot is used as a grounding spot for several of your sensors. If those ground wires are loose or shorted out, you won't get a signal to the coil pickup in the distributor & the car wont start, (Don't ask me how I learned this!!). Cut those wires & solder the wires to a new ground grommet and reconnect everything back together to the engine block for a good ground connection. Hopefully that will solve your problem & your car will start.

Anyhow, hope this helps...Good luck!!!

ID

PS:
IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE USING THE ABOVE MENTIONED FUEL TESTING METHOD, or are not sure what you are doing, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT AT ALL!! Take your car to a licensed mechanic and have him repair your car for you!!

240fame
10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
idlaie thanks....I am going to check the spark..and when i lined up the distributor AFTER it was running rough..by reading the FSM it will not turn over...but i tried to adjust them but no luck.
so im gonna c for sparks now.