PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE running/idle issues

Super_OK_S13
09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Hello, i've read a bunch of stories and posts on different sites about issues i've been having, all which i've even talked to a couple friends and family about this and they haven't a clue... i rebuilt the head (BC Cams, BC +size Valves, BC Springs/retainers, Cometic HG, Arp Studs) about a year ago and ran like a champ since...

About a month ago i pulled into my driveway and turned the car off. later that day i came out and started the car. it idled fine for about 30 seconds or so and went super rich!!! i'm talking white smoke comming out of the tailpipe, that smells like 80-90% gas and a hint of oil. thats the best i can put it.

so i shut the car off and let it sit. tried starting it a day later and same thing, 30 seconds or so and straight to rich and smokes the longer i let it idle.

so... i havent done an ignition tune-up in a while so i got a new cap, rotor, spark plugs, and o2 sensor (had problems with it before so i replaced it just i case). still idles and goes rich

so... i had it idling and checked it out, and i saw raw fuel vaporizing on the exhaust flange around cylinder 1. so i thought stuck injector fouling the plug out. i swapped wires 1 and 2 on the dizzy and the plugs and it didn't seem any different. i had the injectors pulse tested and checked for leaky o-rings. turned out ok.

i ended up checking for codes on the ecu and found code 21, which is "ignition signal primary". which includes the distributor, coil, resistor/condensor, and ignitor/power transistor.

this is where i am currently stuck. i'm getting plug wires asap to try them. but i don't see how the power transistor or the coil would make 1 cylinder misfire because they "supply power" to dizzy, which supplies each spark plug.

Help?

Thanks!!!

BlazedGlory
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Hello, i've read a bunch of stories and posts on different sites about issues i've been having, all which i've even talked to a couple friends and family about this and they haven't a clue... i rebuilt the head (BC Cams, BC +size Valves, BC Springs/retainers, Cometic HG, Arp Studs) about a year ago and ran like a champ since...

About a month ago i pulled into my driveway and turned the car off. later that day i came out and started the car. it idled fine for about 30 seconds or so and went super rich!!! i'm talking white smoke comming out of the tailpipe, that smells like 80-90% gas and a hint of oil. thats the best i can put it.

so i shut the car off and let it sit. tried starting it a day later and same thing, 30 seconds or so and straight to rich and smokes the longer i let it idle.

so... i havent done an ignition tune-up in a while so i got a new cap, rotor, spark plugs, and o2 sensor (had problems with it before so i replaced it just i case). still idles and goes rich

so... i had it idling and checked it out, and i saw raw fuel vaporizing on the exhaust flange around cylinder 1. so i thought stuck injector fouling the plug out. i swapped wires 1 and 2 on the dizzy and the plugs and it didn't seem any different. i had the injectors pulse tested and checked for leaky o-rings. turned out ok.

i ended up checking for codes on the ecu and found code 21, which is "ignition signal primary". which includes the distributor, coil, resistor/condensor, and ignitor/power transistor.

this is where i am currently stuck. i'm getting plug wires asap to try them. but i don't see how the power transistor or the coil would make 1 cylinder misfire because they "supply power" to dizzy, which supplies each spark plug.

Help?

Thanks!!!

The first odd thing I noticed about your issue is the white smoke? Are you sure it is white? Rich/fuel smoke is black. White smoke is usually water/coolant...

Super_OK_S13
09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
i'm positive its white/hint of blue (which i know is oil)...

but i do not see oil in coolant/coolant in oil. i forgot to add that i did a compression test after i put the injector rail back in and every cylinder had 125-135 in each one.

lainardisboss
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
fuck first time hearing about this on a ka good luck man. i hate these car problems. it sounds like a rx7 srartup hah but i hope you get it fixed. gl!

rregl0612
09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Not that I'm some great mechanic, but I will be taking a look at this today about 3, Gunna do another compression test, I want to diagnose internals the best I can, then if no signs move into testing resistence on ignition, coil etc, If you guys have any specific things to check that would be awesome, I am also leaving my book with him untill we know the issue,
Also, the fsm does not recommend a Valve adjustment on the Kade at 15000miles, but all other motors it does, anyone have any first hand experience with the crower cams that might change this?

Thanks in advance. :)

driftlifeJDM
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
welcome to my world hahaha

i have the same problem but my compression is 165 on all four. but it smokes a few seconds after i turn it on. its oil smoke and dont really now whats causing it.. it really sounds like im trying to start an rx7 haha.. i have a thread on it some where on here. but those compression numbers are really low. sounds like the rings are going. or could be exhaust valve, seal, something on that side thats causing the fuel vapor that u see.