PDA

View Full Version : HELP, oil leak from this thingy

kaidohms
09-18-2010, 03:31 PM
hey, i found where my oil leak comes from, i just dont know what type of sensor this is and if its a common place where oil leaks from

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff344/kaidohms/fc00f838-1.jpg

and if replaceable, what's the right tool used to take it off?

projectRDM
09-18-2010, 04:32 PM
You've been here a year, you should know better.

Oil pressure switch. Unplug it, remove it, buy a suitable pipe plug, seal it with RTV, and reinstall. The switches are notorious to leak so replacing it is pointless.

BlazedGlory
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I personally would rather have an oil leak and know if I lose oil pressure. That little red light saves engines (if the driver realizes how important it is to shut the engine off at that point). JMO

projectRDM
09-20-2010, 07:18 AM
I personally would rather have an oil leak and know if I lose oil pressure. That little red light saves engines (if the driver realizes how important it is to shut the engine off at that point). JMO

Only if the car is idling. Any other time if the light comes on you've already been 20-30psi low on pressure for several seconds, it's essentially not a warning light at that point but an indicator that you need to turn the radio down so you can hear the rod knock you now have.

Plus people rarely pay attention to warning lights anyway. I always put a sender for a proper gauge in it's place, but not everyone has the sense to do that.

codyace
09-20-2010, 09:15 AM

By the time that oil light comes on, you're engine is essentially done and or damaged as it is...doesn't matter how quickly you key off.