PDA

View Full Version : Bearings for Ichiba rear 5 lug hubs

Def
09-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I've nuked 3 Z32 rear bearings(2 OEM, 1 Timken) in the past 4k miles in my car. No installation errors. But that's almost all track usage. I guess that means I don't drive like a douche.

So given that NSK Z32 rears are ~$140/ea, I think it'd be cheaper to just go with something I can actually replace the bearing. The Ichibas seem like one way to do this since people talk about replacing them often.

But how do you replace the rear bearings? What replacement bearing do they use?

The stock rears for S13s are not serviceable according to the FSM and looking on courtesyparts.com. So don't just say "they use OEM bearings."

swayray
09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
the rear s13 bearings can be replaced w/ S14 and z32 (non-directional) bearings. Your can use OEM nissan s14 rear bearings on the Ichiba hubs.

Def
09-18-2010, 12:54 PM
So you need to buy the whole bearing/hub assembly? Crap, I was hoping there was a replaceable bearing to keep from having to buy a whole bearing assembly.

According to this thread from Russ:

J30 rear 5lug hub fitment, the final word [Archive] - FreshAlloy.com Forums (http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-135746.html)

I should be able to just use an S13 rear bearing/hub assy on my Z32 rear uprights and Z32 5 lug hub. I do not have the Z32 e-brake back there anymore. The hubs are about $115 from Nissan. I'm thinking of going that route just to ensure I get something that's not a total POS and hoping it solves the issue.

projectRDM
09-18-2010, 04:48 PM
So you need to buy the whole bearing/hub assembly? Crap, I was hoping there was a replaceable bearing to keep from having to buy a whole bearing assembly.

According to this thread from Russ:

J30 rear 5lug hub fitment, the final word [Archive] - FreshAlloy.com Forums (http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-135746.html)

I should be able to just use an S13 rear bearing/hub assy on my Z32 rear uprights and Z32 5 lug hub. I do not have the Z32 e-brake back there anymore. The hubs are about $115 from Nissan. I'm thinking of going that route just to ensure I get something that's not a total POS and hoping it solves the issue.

S13, S14, S15, and Z32 NA rear wheel bearings are all the same, besides the early NA models with the flange (tab) to secure the anchor bolt for the ebrake.

Def
09-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I'll just try some OEM S13 rears from the dealer and hope they last much longer than the rest.

My front hubs are GTO's with I assume OEM bearings in them, they're still tight after ~4k track miles and ~7k street miles. *knock on wood*