PDA

View Full Version : Cam spec. tech. help

niSm095
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
With HKS Step one cams- I see they offer both a 256 and a 264 intake cam, in 10.5mm of lift. My question relates to which would be more effective with a daily driven/weekend drift once or twice a month car?

More specifically, what is the difference between 256 and 264 here? I assume it relates to where the gains in the powerband begin? I intend on going with the Step 1 264 exhaust cam to compliment.

As far as the motor, it's stock internally, has a 2871r .64 on 20psi with supporting modification.

steve shadows
09-13-2010, 09:46 PM
depends on your turbo and what kind of power band you are looking for.

The 256 cam is really IMO meant for upgrading a stock SR, or an SR or motor that is required by a sanctioning body (like in JAPAN) to run a stock turbo.

The 264 HKS cams are beautiful and are IMO the best camshafts of any size for any SR car pushing 350-450 target raneg outputs etc .

Streetable but aggressive, I have dyno'd several cars equipt with this cam and they are always the big winners, not just in peak power but mid range torque and length of power band (useable) as well

Slidin' Sam
09-14-2010, 05:37 AM
First: in Japan you can run an aftermarket turbo and still be legal.

Second: I have 256 cams in my stockish sr and their awesome. My friend also has them in his gt28rs 400hpish sr and he loves them.

Third: don't mix intake/exhaust cams on turbo motors/sr's. Generally speaking, they do not respond well. Sooo, if you plan on running a 264 exhaust cam, run a 264 intake cam.

Just my thoughts/opinions.