PDA

View Full Version : Rust inside brake line.

Korea
09-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Alright so i bought an s13 shell awhile back ago. heres the thing, the cars been sitting awhile without brake fluid in it so im about 99 percent sure theres gonna be rust inside the metal piping. anyone know of any liquids i can use to remove it? i can get new piping but if i can find a cheaper alternative that words it would be good. ive been looking at this stuff, i thinking it might work but i dunno http://www.theruststore.com/Evapo-Rust-Gallon-P1C1.aspx

btw anyone know what kind of metal the piping is made out of?

shadowcorp
09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
OEM lines are probably regular old steel lines, well except for the rubber bits of course.

slider2828
09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I think those are aluminum lines.... Were they not even connected to brakes at all?

I would just disconnect the lines and bleed them like normal.... No big deal. Break fluid pretty much with destroy any rust and or carry them out of the system..... Just bleed the shit out of the brakes and you will be fine.

Korea
09-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Were they not even connected to brakes at all?
unfortunately not, i bought the car as a shell and it didnt have calipers on it. its been a slow on going process and cause of other non-car related things its sat for quite awhile(over a year) but now to get the car drivable all i have to do is get my brakes straightened out.

btw can anyone say for sure what kinda metal they are? reason being is that that evapo-rust stuff works on iron and steel but not brass copper or aluminum.

Wookie384
09-10-2010, 03:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the brake fluid itself would clean out the lines. Just flush it out thoroughly.

joeapple8
09-10-2010, 05:09 AM
I believe if I am correct the metal line is made of aluminum, correct me if I am wrong.

godrifttoday
09-10-2010, 06:35 AM
I believe if I am correct the metal line is made of aluminum, correct me if I am wrong.

You are contradicting yourself, so u most def wrong.... Anyhow, they are not made of aluminum. Their are aftermarket brake lines which you can buy in a roll which is aluminum but if it's oem it's metal

klits562
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Just use brake fluid thats the cheapest alternative there is. Bolt everything up, fill and bleed with brake fluid test brakes make sure the rust didnt actually weaken the lines and then your good, you can even flush refill and rebleed just to make sure.

Korea
09-11-2010, 04:59 AM
alright well hopefully ill be working on the car this weekend and ill just try bleeding with some cheap fluid, than put superblue in it. i just wanna make sure they are right. i dont really feel like flying off the side of a mountain. :eek:

projectRDM
09-12-2010, 01:26 PM
The OE lines are steel. People saying otherwise haven't ever seen a brake line apparently.