PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my rough ride(240sx)

tai1688
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello~ everyone, MY car was running smooth couple days ago, I decided to change my clutch, a friend of mine was helping me do the clutch changes at his garage, Nightmare bagan, it was really pain in the a*s =c to put tranny back, so he came up with idea, unbolt the header, use engine lifter to pull the engine one side the other side will go down a bit,yeah it works, we successfully put the tranny back, put everything back to original~ engine cranked and started right away, u can feel there is shaking when sitting in the car, idle is same as before around 700~800~ I was suspected that might be vacuum leak , I tried little tap on gas , idle goes up to 1, the rough feeling, seemed disappeared, then I adjust idle to 1 , it works , u can still feel it the difference between before changing clutch and after the changes, I drove a little while , idle became 900. Now I don't thinik it is vacuum leaks, because I don't have rough idle, the idle didn't change at all when foot off the gas. And this morning , I saw smoke ( really cold tem) coming out of header, not a lot , it goes away once the engine warms up, and if i look carefully I can see little gases still come out, is this okay? could a header leaks cause the rough ride ?
PS. I did tune up and compression test couple weeks ago, everything appeared to be health~ it can't be misfire~ Also the rough ride , I meant when u sit in the driver seat and passenger seat u can feel the shaking , idle changed to 1, could feel it a little bit~

c-los13
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
try replacing the exhaust gaskets
im pretty sure a leak there can cause bad idle

Rabboni
09-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Im pretty sure that when you unbolted your header the exhaust manifold gasket got messed up. If you are still seeing gasses coming out of the area the gasket is then that probably is what is causing your problems. Change the gasket.

tai1688
09-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Question about header and gasket, my header is rust, I want buy a new one. I saw people selling it with downpipe, some people just sell header and gasket~ Do I need to buy the downpipe ? my car is s14(95)~
Also when installing a new header, do I need to send it to machine shop to serface first ?