PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Performance Suspension Challenge

Maeda
08-08-2003, 09:56 PM
After searching quite a bit i've found out enough things to make me believe that a shock/strut & spring combination will be able to give coilover performance, but for how much?

Hopefully CHEAP, and by cheap I mean sub 1000$. Looking for atleast 6kg/mm spring rates (personally I'd like 7), adjustable ride height, and camber/caster/ adjustments, & as many perks that can fit into the tight generic budget.

Springs-
So far it looks like Ground Control Springs (400$) are the only way to get a decent spring rate. I'm pretty sure they are the only ones that can make a reasonably priced medium stiffness (6+) spring. RSR is also an option, but even at those spring rates it looks like sway bars are a necessity to stamp out bodyroll like a roach.

Shock Struts-
Koni Yellows & KYB AGXs (400$) seem to be the only two that'd be up to the task of what I call a decent spring rate. From what I gather I need a stiff enough damper to match the springs correct? Still in the fog here. Is there a way to get custom valved shocks/struts at a similar price?

Camber Plates- Pretty straight forward buy ones that fit, and camber/caster adjustment is possible.

Camber Bolts- Also another coption to adjust camber +1/-1. More is probably necissary?

Ride height will be necissary to corner weight properly and is covered by the ground controls(more or less). Camber will be adjusted properly to the height. Hopefully with atleast 6kg body roll will be almost gone, but where do the shock/struts fit into this?

I think that covers everything. More insight needed on how these three things interact. poop.

AKADriver
08-08-2003, 10:52 PM
The problem with running extremely stiff springs with those type dampers is that you really reach the limit of their adjustability. Custom valved is $$$$

I dunno... in my quest to put together a less expensive suspension, I've decided to forego height adjustability, and I actually want lower spring rates than that, so the priorities at work are a bit different.

Once you consider the cost of a good set of camber plates, you're starting to push beyond that $1000 budget. Bolts are cheap, but you can't adjust "on the fly" - you need a full alignment every time you want to change the setting.

DuffMan
08-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Can you use konis with GC's? I don't see why you couldnt but the chart on GC's website only lists AGX's as working.

302INMY240
08-09-2003, 05:36 PM
i have koni sport yellows and eibach sportline springs, i like the combo, but front travel is bad, bumpstop city.

the konis for the front are an INSERT! that means you have to cut the stock strut apart, drill a hole in the bottom and bolt in the new insert.

THe konis are only rebound adjustable.

i got this whole setup from www.tirerack.com for 850 though and it handles great until you meet the bump stops

Maeda
08-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by AKADriver
The problem with running extremely stiff springs with those type dampers is that you really reach the limit of their adjustability..Once you consider the cost of a good set of camber plates, you're starting to push beyond that $1000 budget.

I don't think the camber bolts are an option anymore due to the fact that they will most likely not prvide enough camber just to fix my wheels up straight.

Im sure with spending less money sacrifices need to be made, and the sacrifice i'm willing to make is adjustability. I just need to find out how a 6-7 kg/mm spring is going to work well on an KYB AGX... The KG/MM DR Racing Springs are also looking good for the price (6.6/5.3), but where to find them? (poke poke) So I guess i'll be running the AGX's at full hard and will have to suffer rattling my teeth out on the I5?
What kind of travel and dampening force do the AGX's have specifically(a # would be nice)?

Eibachs(sportline & pro) are simply too wimpy for me... I honestly think my stock suspension feels the same if not stiffer. Definetly not an option.

302INMY240
08-10-2003, 12:37 PM
well if you want stiff as hell springs, and are using AGX shocks, DEFINITELY get the Ground Control coilovers to go with the AGX's , height adj and they say they are for autocross(stiff), but you should be able to change spring rates, because they have huge selection of eibach 2.5" diam springs

drift freaq
08-10-2003, 01:51 PM
ok guys you either have not called Ground Control and talked th them or looked closely enough at their website.
Ground Control now sells Koni's that are built by Koni to their specs. i.e. they are a 7.5 inch short travel insert with valving specifically specified by Ground Control to match the springs in their coilover sets. I talked to them the other day. Reason is I came across a set of blown ATS coilovers from Japan with Camber plates and pillowballs. The front strut is a insert and can be removed it is also the same exact travel height as the GC koni's . I am most likely going to buy a set of GC Koni's and run these springs . If I am not happy with the spring rate I will order springs from GC . My whole setup is gonna cost me around $700 yes I got the blown coilovers dirt cheap. The people who sold them thought they were cusco's hahahhahha. Thanks to my handy hyper rev vol #8 I was able to identify the coilovers.:D :cool: :bow:

P.S. for any of you people dissing GC out there I have two friends running S14 track cars with Koni based GC coilovers and they are kicking ***. One is a RB25 powered car and the other is a solo 1 autocross car

08-11-2003, 10:28 PM
it sounds to me like gc's are the way to go for you. the only springs that would be close to what you want are the kg/mm and rsr, both of which you've already mentioned.

like drift freaq mentioned, you can get koni's with the gc, which would be the combo of choice imo. but i dunno... if you count $700 for the gc's and $200-300 or so for a full set of camber plates, it adds up to about $1000. for that price, you could get some decent coilovers. well you might have to pay a little more, but it'd be worth it imo. but whatever.