PDA

View Full Version : S15 SR turbo manifold vs. S13 mani

Def
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Do the later OEM SR turbo manifolds like the S15 one flow more than the S13 OEM SR20DET turbo manifold?

Not looking to use a tubular manifold.

Search is down right now, so no bitching if this has already been covered. :mephfawk:

K_style
09-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I believe they are same..

Om1kron
09-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I believe they are same..

Pretty much. But nobody really has any flow numbers to prove this. There may have been small improvements in the casting process but I highly doubt it. Probably a lot cheaper to go with the same design on the exhaust side to save some money in production.

K_style
09-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Probably a lot cheaper to go with the same design on the exhaust side to save some money in production.

+1 for sure

S13SILVIA|E46M3
09-04-2010, 12:03 AM
These pics probably won't help much. They are the closes comparison pics I could find...
S15
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2954/y0234046fb5.jpg
S13
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4838/box3003hj7.jpg
S15
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9171/y0234049km6.jpg
Couldn't find a non S15 mani port shot.
Hope these Help.....

Def
09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I can spot a few minor differences, but yea, it does look pretty similar. I remember hearing many years ago S14+ manifolds flowed more, but like so much info back then, it was probably just something somebody pulled out of their ass.

Om1kron
09-04-2010, 08:50 AM
The S14/15 manifold looks like it has a really long number 1 runner like the tomei manifold. Where the s13 looks like it's broken up and more like a log manifold. But I'm pretty sure they flow the same.

airhead
09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
just ordered a s15 mani going to replace it with my aftermarket mani.

Om1kron
09-09-2010, 02:25 AM
just ordered a s15 mani going to replace it with my aftermarket mani.

you ordered an s15 manifold and are going to replace it with an aftermarket manifold. Did you read what you typed before hitting submit?

Okinawandrifter87
09-09-2010, 02:51 AM
I heard that they flowed a little bit better but wow at 2 posts above me lol.

irax
09-09-2010, 04:34 AM
well his screen name is in fact Airhead....

Okinawandrifter87
09-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Survival of the fittest at its best lol.

airhead
09-09-2010, 05:04 AM
lol i just caught that i was laying in bed when i typed that:)

Okinawandrifter87
09-09-2010, 05:09 AM
How does that justify what you typed lol?

airhead
09-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Ill be replacing the weakass china made aftermarket manifold with a S15 manifold:doh:

Okinawandrifter87
09-09-2010, 05:54 AM
So then you did mean what you originally typed?

conrad_s13.5
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
yup......lol

unless you have one laying around,. i dnt see this being an upgrade to justify spending the money

Team DET
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
what's that, next to the short runner on the s15 mani

RurouniMidnight
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I've heard they flow a little better also but don't have any facts, It would be cool if they did cause I have a s15 Sr and will probably be sticking with stock manifold when I upgrade turbos due to it being cast, a little extra flow would be a nice addition.

Homer_Simpson
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
what's that, next to the short runner on the s15 mani
Looks like a blind hole that was intended for EGR.

ixfxi
12-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Take a look at this ebay link and in particular, pay attention to the exhaust manifold photos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251766101229

I always thought that the S14/S15 exhaust manifolds had an EGR port provision, but it does not appear to be the case. Looks like it goes to the valve cover guys for blow by. I was under the impression that a 1-way valve was required to do that.

S14DB
12-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Take a look at this ebay link and in particular, pay attention to the exhaust manifold photos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251766101229

I always thought that the S14/S15 exhaust manifolds had an EGR port provision, but it does not appear to be the case. Looks like it goes to the valve cover guys for blow by. I was under the impression that a 1-way valve was required to do that.
The EGR is only on the EU spec 200SX S14. The JDM S14's didn't have EGR.

I have the JDM and UK FSMs. Also have a Kouki S14SR with no EGR provision.
http://i.imgur.com/up7gG5Q.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/pOMubiz.jpg

ixfxi
12-26-2014, 03:37 PM
OK, that makes sense. I looked at my 1994 S14 Silvia FSM and attached a photo, looks like that IS for an EGR port after all. I compared that with the S15 FSM and it doesnt show an EGR provision at all.

Its the angle that makes it confusing, because when you look at the photo it looks like that "blowby hose" connects to the exhaust manifold, I was scratching my head.

I wonder what variable dictates whether or not the vehicle was equipped with an EGR or not. Maybe UK market requires it for smog? It does not appear that the Japan market cars had them. ???

Agent S14
12-26-2014, 03:41 PM
so a S15 SR turbo manifold is better than a tomei or megan racing turbo manifold?

Def
12-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I have an S15 SR20DET - no EGR on the engine. It didn't come with the stock manifold though.

Dboyizmlg
12-26-2014, 04:40 PM
so a S15 SR turbo manifold is better than a tomei or megan racing turbo manifold?

Yes much better!
Go buy one!

Tom N
12-26-2014, 05:05 PM
I have an S15 SR20DET - no EGR on the engine. It didn't come with the stock manifold though.

I have a complete S15 motor with S15 turbo manifold. That nipple on the manifold is for a egr but not all were drilled and tapped for a egr. My doesn't have a egr.
To my understanding the S15 flows slightly better as the runners are slightly bigger. If you intend to port it real good this doesn't really matter much.
The S15 also supposedly has a higher Inconel content than the cheaper S13 manifold.

ixfxi
12-26-2014, 05:16 PM
The S15 also supposedly has a higher Inconel content than the cheaper S13 manifold.

uh oh... here we go again with that magic word. :-)

i have both manifolds, i didnt notice anything special or different about either of them.

but, i will be pulling the manifold (again) from my non working museum piece of an s13 and re-drill the manifold for m10 hardware. i'll snap photos and inspect both so that we can see if there are any visible differences.

by the way, do any of the mods or admins here have the ability to increase my storage capacity for attachments? ive been a member (forever) and it would be nice if i can increase the storage. i've uploaded so many photos over the years that i am near my max.

Agent S14
12-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Yes much better!
Go buy one!
I have an s15 motor with s15 oem turbo manifold I just find it hard to believe .

Kingtal0n
12-26-2014, 08:47 PM
the s15 manifolds are usually much prettier and less rusted.

Def
12-26-2014, 09:27 PM
uh oh... here we go again with that magic word. :-)

i have both manifolds, i didnt notice anything special or different about either of them.

but, i will be pulling the manifold (again) from my non working museum piece of an s13 and re-drill the manifold for m10 hardware. i'll snap photos and inspect both so that we can see if there are any visible differences.

by the way, do any of the mods or admins here have the ability to increase my storage capacity for attachments? ive been a member (forever) and it would be nice if i can increase the storage. i've uploaded so many photos over the years that i am near my max.

Use a free service like imgur

ixfxi
12-27-2014, 01:53 AM
Use a free service like imgur

no, bro. there's a reason to my logic here.
i own several websites, hosting is not an issue.

the issue is this. since zilvia is a knowledge base for discussion, then zilvia should be able to storage images that pertains to our discussion. i'm not talking about huge, high-res photos. i am talking about small photos of things that we've been discussing over the years.

how many times have you guys clicked on threads, only to see that it contains old, outdated, dead links. no link, no image, no references.

here is a perfect example of things working, my rear axle discussion thread:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=555322

images are still there because i stored them locally. anyway, it would be nice if we could increase the storage attachment sizes for the users who contribute to the community.

silverarrow27
12-27-2014, 12:59 PM
no, bro. there's a reason to my logic here.
i own several websites, hosting is not an issue.

the issue is this. since zilvia is a knowledge base for discussion, then zilvia should be able to storage images that pertains to our discussion. i'm not talking about huge, high-res photos. i am talking about small photos of things that we've been discussing over the years.

how many times have you guys clicked on threads, only to see that it contains old, outdated, dead links. no link, no image, no references.

here is a perfect example of things working, my rear axle discussion thread:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=555322

images are still there because i stored them locally. anyway, it would be nice if we could increase the storage attachment sizes for the users who contribute to the community.

Years from now whether it be a couple or several, when your account gets deleted due to inactivity. Wouldn't it defeat the purpose anyway?

I'll stick to the Tomei manifold btw...:2f2f:

ixfxi
12-27-2014, 07:53 PM
First question, do accounts here get deleted based on inactivity? Not all forums have this policy and I dont think it applies here.

Second, the admins (and the users) have the ability to look at their attachments. It would be wise for admins to think before deleting a user, especially if they have contributed a lot to the forum.

Third, enjoy your Tomei manifold. If I wanted a tubular manifold, Full Race would have my money already.

KoukiMonsta
12-27-2014, 09:00 PM
I wish I had a Tommy manifold. They are so freaking cool.

Mike, I wondered why you always 'attached' images to your posts vs external hosting. Very simple, and very good, answer. I will absolutely keep that in mind - as I hate when old threads no longer have images that were extremely useful.

As for thoughts pertaining to this thread....uhh I got nothing useful. But it's good since I am currently trying to source an OE manifold. Originally I said 's13 only' As I thought that meant 'no egr'. A cous guys said otherwise but I never found solid info. This is helping to solidify what exactly is an acceptable manifold for my intended use.

And for that, I thank you.

S14DB
12-29-2014, 09:18 AM
OK, that makes sense. I looked at my 1994 S14 Silvia FSM and attached a photo, looks like that IS for an EGR port after all. I compared that with the S15 FSM and it doesnt show an EGR provision at all.

Its the angle that makes it confusing, because when you look at the photo it looks like that "blowby hose" connects to the exhaust manifold, I was scratching my head.

I wonder what variable dictates whether or not the vehicle was equipped with an EGR or not. Maybe UK market requires it for smog? It does not appear that the Japan market cars had them. ???

It all depends on how the county of sale handles NOx emissions.

I have a complete S15 motor with S15 turbo manifold. That nipple on the manifold is for a egr but not all were drilled and tapped for a egr. My doesn't have a egr.
To my understanding the S15 flows slightly better as the runners are slightly bigger. If you intend to port it real good this doesn't really matter much.
You mean Nickel.

Tom N
12-29-2014, 11:25 AM
It all depends on how the county of sale handles NOx emissions.

You mean Nickel.

No I mean inconel. But considering nickel is a main ingredient in inconel...

S14DB
12-29-2014, 11:58 AM
No I mean inconel. But considering nickel is a main ingredient in inconel...
Inconel is an nickel based Alloy. You are thinking of high nickel cast iron. AKA ni-resist.

ixfxi
12-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Inconel is an nickel based Alloy. You are thinking of high nickel cast iron. AKA ni-resist.

No. According to DEF it was high nickel cast steel, not iron.

Inconel exhaust manifold. ha. This isnt a McLaren F1. Wait, actually that would be titanium. Still.

Def
12-29-2014, 06:22 PM
S13 manifolds definitely aren't Ni-resist. Maybe the later ones are?

But the S13 stock manifolds are high temperature cast steel - so they do have more nickel than say, a cast steel front knuckle or something like that. Otherwise they'd rust like crazy, whereas they typically just get a little light surface corrosion even at elevated temps.