PDA

View Full Version : egr helpp!!!

hamsterb0i
09-01-2010, 09:27 PM
if you remove the egr will it pass smog?

chiboy002
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
im almost 100% positive it wont. Exhaust Gas Recirculation, its designed to burn left over fuels that didn't burn during the combustion process. And im sure they check for those during smog tests

94spitfire91
09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Me and ^ this guy dont have smog tests tho Ive also heard they dont pass after you remove it are you talking about just plugging up the holes? why do you want to?

S13Disco
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
It will not pass smog....it will fail the visual and the sniffer

mxexux
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
im almost 100% positive it wont. Exhaust Gas Recirculation, its designed to burn left over fuels that didn't burn during the combustion process. And im sure they check for those during smog tests

EGR is designed to recirculate exhaust into the combustion chamber in order to bring combustion temps down preventing NOx gasses from forming. Without EGR your car will most definitely fail for high NOx.

:l101:

P.S.--A couple months ago California decided to lower the allowable limits for emissions on my car at least which is a 1995 S14. I'm actually having trouble passing smog my self under the new limits. My car is running very well, but smog is just barely failing. I'm having to get a new cat...

hamsterb0i
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
dam... cuz i havent done somg yet and my check engine light is on.... it says its the egr... but i dont wanna spend the 150 bucks to fix it... so i figure i remove it...but now i guess i have to fix it... thanks for the help guys...

markapple0507
09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
search!!! lol before you get flamed and this gets locked up. not trying to be a dick but its the truth

oh and to answer this...

if you remove the egr will it pass smog?

simply no

projectRDM
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Not exactly. It won't pass visual, but it will pass the sniffer test as long as the catalytic converter is functioning correctly, if your state only does a sniffer. Some states do both, GA luckily does not. My daily driven LS400 doesn't have the EGR system at all, neither did my old S14. Both pass fine. It also helps to have the intake manifold hot tanked so that it's clean inside and won't continually drip off sludge and carbon deposits into the engine, but that's not required.

chiboy002
09-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Me and ^ this guy dont have smog tests tho Ive also heard they dont pass after you remove it are you talking about just plugging up the holes? why do you want to?
representttttttttttttttttt

EGR is designed to recirculate exhaust into the combustion chamber in order to bring combustion temps down preventing NOx gasses from forming. Without EGR your car will most definitely fail for high NOx.

:l101:

P.S.--A couple months ago California decided to lower the allowable limits for emissions on my car at least which is a 1995 S14. I'm actually having trouble passing smog my self under the new limits. My car is running very well, but smog is just barely failing. I'm having to get a new cat...
Damn that sucks man. Also, yeah i forgot it was about NOx. I only looked it up when i got my headers, im still waiting to man up and make a block off plate.