PDA

View Full Version : problems with coilovers

240sx1234
09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I bought a pair of isis coilovers recently (hate all you want), but now they are squeaking. I think it was the installers "friend and i" that did something wrong. First off, when i jack the front up the springs arent compressed at all they can turn easily with your hand. and there is a metal o ring above the spring that is bent up from where it sat on the spring. When I turn the wheel slightly its a loud squeak,and it does it until i stop turning the wheel. the spring not being compressed( besides the noise) is whats worrying me the most. Also when im driving and hit a bump, it kinda feels like something pops.its hard to describe. if you can help that would be great ill try to get pics up soon. and i know im a noob:-/

Pandapants
09-01-2010, 07:46 PM
when installing coilovers, the spring should have some,but not a lot, of preload. There should be enough that there's no vertical movement of the spring but you should still be able to turn the spring on the spring seat with your hand.

240sx1234
09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
there is alot of vertical movement on my spring when the car is jacked up,maybe i twisted the wrong part to raise/lower it?

240sx1234
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
bump to the top,someone help me please and thanks

Cr8zyDrifter
09-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Its a shame really, all these people, so full of knowledge. No 1 fucking person willing to help. guess if your not in cali. you get a big pile of shit on your face bro. sorry if i knew i would help you.

Maiku240sxS14
09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I am no expert, but from what I can tell on my own car. When the car is jacked up I have no play in the spring. When I installed the coilovers, I just did enough pre-load where I can barely turn the spring with one hand.

Pictures might help, but I would adjust the pre-load and see if that fixes your problem.

240sx1234
09-02-2010, 08:58 PM
how do you adjust the pre load?

Maiku240sxS14
09-02-2010, 09:12 PM
If your coilovers look like this.....then do what I said in the PM.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/nihon_jin/Forum/s13coiloversnew.jpg

sickrbs14
09-02-2010, 09:17 PM
your proble starts with buyin the isis coilovers

Feast Japan
09-02-2010, 09:28 PM
When driving and the suspension is under load, the poping sound may be coming from the pillow ball section. They always feel tight from the very beginning but cheap coilovers like what you bought will wear out in no time. Especially with a lot of neg camber in place. The little ball basically has less support around it when the camber is knocked in deep.

As a possible quick fix, you can try and tighten the top nut that puts pressure on the pillow ball section. But given its already tight, then there is no other way to stop the popping/knocking sound. Perhaps a little WD40 will settle it a bit...not much though.

If you have the time, pull the fronts out and remove the top plates, washers, spacers etc. and inspect them all. Check to see if any of these small parts are warn out. If not, reasemble and use some lithium grease on these small parts.

Tein's lower brand models are all notorious for knocking right out of the box when set up with more neg camber. They are just fitted with low quality pillow ball support parts.

My S14 runs Zeal coilovers and the top pillow balls will not knock one bit and this is after several years of use. You get what you pay for in the end.

240sx1234
09-02-2010, 09:52 PM
alright guys,unless you have had driven on isis dont say crap about how they ride,if you have then keep on talking,but my problem with them now has come from me doing something wrong not ISIS or Enjuku. I think the noise is from how I moved the spring up and down,and I already had an alignment so the negative camber is not bad.But thanks for all the help,and i mean that

heavenboundkevin
09-02-2010, 09:59 PM
try to call enjuku about this. they run those coils on their drift cars right? they should have some knowledge about your problem.

Feast Japan
09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Can you take a photo of the suspension on the car with the wheel off?

codyace
09-02-2010, 10:40 PM
The spring should be under almost no preload...just enough to keep it from rattling around

the squealing can come from anything, if from the springs it's probably because of the coilver turning, and the upper spring hat having no spherical bearing built in, or no torrington bearings on top or bottom (it's a cheap coilover, so you can't expect that stuff)

Also try raising your car a smidge, it may help

Its a shame really, all these people, so full of knowledge. No 1 fucking person willing to help. guess if your not in cali. you get a big pile of shit on your face bro. sorry if i knew i would help you.

Angry much? No, I think the issue is that most people get sick and tired of such redundant simple questions that we were FORCED to search for when we get started...unlike most these days that run and jump to the 'new post' button, while being 100% ignorant to the search one.

I'm not in, from, or ever want to live in CA, and My attitude is the same

240sx1234
09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
thanks guys ill ask them and let you guys no,and ill post pics this weekend.i apologize guys for being ignorant and asking repeated questions,ill keep you guys updated.thanks

fliprayzin240sx
09-03-2010, 12:39 AM
It could just be spring noise. Most suspension squeak from the spring compressing and the coils touching each other under compression.

Now if its a Popping sound, then it could be the spring seating itself. Some coilovers have this issue due to the way the spring and coilover are designed. If they have a notch where the spring is supposed to sit into, it could be popping on and off it when you turn.

Cr8zyDrifter
09-04-2010, 07:52 AM
The spring should be under almost no preload...just enough to keep it from rattling around

the squealing can come from anything, if from the springs it's probably because of the coilver turning, and the upper spring hat having no spherical bearing built in, or no torrington bearings on top or bottom (it's a cheap coilover, so you can't expect that stuff)

Also try raising your car a smidge, it may help

Angry much? No, I think the issue is that most people get sick and tired of such redundant simple questions that we were FORCED to search for when we get started...unlike most these days that run and jump to the 'new post' button, while being 100% ignorant to the search one.

I'm not in, from, or ever want to live in CA, and My attitude is the same

Well the only thing that gets me is, these people have more than enough time to post long and insulting posts and crap up peoples threads. I search alot, you know what I find, about a dozen threads of people with the same problems and questions I have, but not 1 answer or link or anything to speak of thats helpful. If I searched and found 5 posts with similar problems and soloutions. Then that would awesome, And It would stop me from having to post a new thread(which I don't anymore)....Thats my view. but I mean some of the questions ya your right. Like what motor is faster and what CAI should I get. But Repair questions I think are a little different especially when the person is willing to get out there and do it, they just need a little help from people that have lived and breathed these cars since before they were cool. LOL.

anyways.... I think talking to enjuku would be a good idea if you haven't already. Also there is guy on here from enjuku, Ken. look for his ScreenName in the marketplace. He could probably help you out. He probably has an unlimited amount of patience, to respond to millions of quotes and a fraction of people actually buy something LOL.

bb4_96
09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Did you remedy the vertical spring motion? If not you need to. You need to tighten the lower spring perch back to where it was before you dicked with it. Then you need to take your car to someone who has a clue to fix the issue.

In the picture it looks like you adjust the height via the lower strut perch and adjusting nut.

But seriously your going to kill yourself or your car working on systems you don't understand well enough.

And to the guy on some noob love stitch. I have never been left wanting of information from either this forum/nrr/nico/google. register to the three forums and you'll have no excuse for unanswered questions either.