PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Replacement?

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 09:01 AM
So I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but don't know a lot about cause and effect I guess...

I just picked up a s15 bottom end and since the last 2 engines I've had spun bearings, I was wondering if it would be okay to replace the rod bearings without re-doing everything, or will replacing the bearings throw everything out of whack and cause the engine to fail later anyways?

slideslidegnarslide
08-25-2010, 09:52 AM
get an align bore and replace all the bearings other than that you can reuse everything but gaskets

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
align bore wouldn't really change displacement so if I put new oem rings that would be cool, right?

slideslidegnarslide
08-25-2010, 10:16 AM
yeah align bore is actually to center up your main caps for the crank was a crank beaking spun or a rod bearing?

this type of bore has nothing to do with stroke or bore of cylnders

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
ohhh okay, I see

No, I didn't spin a bearing... so would I still need that?

slideslidegnarslide
08-25-2010, 10:36 AM
ohhh i think i miss read a little bit im sorry no man just replace bearings if you wanna get fancy get your crank micro polished its like 40 dollars for a fresh surface for those new bearings i think its totally worth it

if i read correctly you have had 2 other srs do this to you and now your trying to do preventative maintence so it doesnt happen to this one correct?

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 10:42 AM
yes, you're exactly right

slideslidegnarslide
08-25-2010, 10:49 AM
yeah just repace the bearings and get the crank micro polished youll be minty you dont even have to take the pistons out if you dont want to but if your gonna replace rings go for it make sure you mark the front of the rods and install them front facing timing cover or you will destroy your motor just a word of advise

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 10:55 AM
cool, thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

slideslidegnarslide
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
anytime man any questions while your rebuilding just pm me

racepar1
08-25-2010, 11:01 AM
If the engine is in good operating condition there is no reason to LINE BORE (not align bore) the engine. If you're worried about the bearings and the engine has never had any machining done on the crank/rods/journals you can simply order a set of factory replacement bearings and throw them in. FR sport is a pretty good source. Just be sure to plastiguage them to make sure the clearences are kosher before you re-assemble it. I would replace the oil pump as well since they are known to go bad. Also you would wanna at least change your timing chain guides, preferrably the chain as well, since you're going to have the engine pretty far apart to do the bearings/oil pump.

slideslidegnarslide
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
we know we already said he doesnt need the bore my bad about the line align thing because different shops call it different things

i thought he already spun a crank bearing

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
If the engine is in good operating condition there is no reason to LINE BORE (not align bore) the engine. If you're worried about the bearings and the engine has never had any machining done on the crank/rods/journals you can simply order a set of factory replacement bearings and throw them in. FR sport is a pretty good source. Just be sure to plastiguage them to make sure the clearences are kosher before you re-assemble it. I would replace the oil pump as well since they are known to go bad. Also you would wanna at least change your timing chain guides, preferrably the chain as well, since you're going to have the engine pretty far apart to do the bearings/oil pump.

Yeah, I feel you, I'm gonna get the best bearings available to be honest, not trying to spin any more of these little shits...

Thanks!

codyace
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Just get OEM bearings, no reason to go crazy. I always always always try to push people to replace these, as SR's are well known to develop rod knock....the best time to change them is while the engine is out, and already tore down

In regard to oil pumps failing, that's new to me, and I mean that across the SR world. For sake of mind it's not a bad idea, but not needed either.

Just follow the FSM guide on selecting the correct bearings, and then as stated above, gauge them just to unsure proper clearence as well. There is ZERO reason to rush a simply bearing job. If you do have some sort of 'most be done tomorrow' timeline, it's probably best to simply invest in a 2nd beater car...

PS13 DRFT
08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Just get OEM bearings, no reason to go crazy. I always always always try to push people to replace these, as SR's are well known to develop rod knock....the best time to change them is while the engine is out, and already tore down

In regard to oil pumps failing, that's new to me, and I mean that across the SR world. For sake of mind it's not a bad idea, but not needed either.

Just follow the FSM guide on selecting the correct bearings, and then as stated above, gauge them just to unsure proper clearence as well. There is ZERO reason to rush a simply bearing job. If you do have some sort of 'most be done tomorrow' timeline, it's probably best to simply invest in a 2nd beater car...

I have a daily, so no worries on time or anything of that nature. You really back up OEM that much? I've just had a bad couple of experiences and don't want anymore... well, not for a while at least!