PDA

View Full Version : My N1 dual smells....

SilviaSR20DET
08-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Ive had this problem since i got it a year ago and never went away. Apparently its smells like burning of some sort and really gets irritating. Is there something that needs to be replaced, fixed to get rid of that smell? When i was passing my friend flooring it he said that when he had his window down he could smell the exhaust. My car is in real good condition and couldnt be spitting out black smoke cause my car is a 1996 240sx with 35000 miles on it. Any help will be great

SiDeWaYs S150sx
08-05-2003, 02:51 PM
is it touching your bumper?? it could be melting it:confused:

hookedup240
08-05-2003, 02:58 PM
did you take off your cat? What does it smell like?

SilviaSR20DET
08-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Its not melting my bumper i know for sure because its not even touching my bumper. The smell is weird, its smells like burning rubber or clutch or something like that. And no i didnt remove the cat for this exhaust. I have heard lots of complaints about the smell that the n1 single and duals produce so i guess its supposed to happen. It only smells when ive been driving hard like flooring it and stuff.

Muzzy
08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
mine smelled funny when i first got it (Blitz) but now it doesnt have that smell. its kinda like a break-in smell u know how it burns the insulation stuff.
how long have u had the exhaust?

SilviaSR20DET
08-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Ive had this exhaust for a year now and still has this smell coming out so it probably not run hard enough or something. Could it be like the o2 sensor?

drift into a curb
08-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Are you sure it's your exhaust then. You said it smells like rubber, you sure it's not your clutch? You sure you aren't riding the clutch when you're driving you're car hard? I dunno, anything other than a gas/carbon monoxide smell kinda throws me off to believe it's something else.

knightrider
08-06-2003, 12:48 AM
it could be burning the underside of your car, i just got a st may shotgun and it touches the underside of the car sumtimes and its burning the undercoating off my car, i need to wrap it in header wrap, just too lazy. but it does have a weird smell only at high rpm, my guess is from the high exhaust temps.

SilviaSR20DET
08-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Ya i think its because of the high temprature because it only smells like burning when im in the high rpm and doesnt smell when cruising. So it must be the exhaust itself for sure. Any way to fix this problem or do i have to stick with it?

mbmbmb23
08-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Get your exhaust pipes coated with ceramic coating or heat wrap and see if it stops. Thats my guess. Also, for some reason I could swear I remember someone saying that when your cat goes bad it stinks really bad. Can anyone confirm this?

-m

Angelus
08-07-2003, 12:49 AM
I think it`s the "undercar rust protection" which is melting by the extrem high temperatures of the N1Dual when you drive hard...

A friend of me have got exact the same problem with the HKS Super Dragger.

Are you happy with your Apexi N1 Dual otherwise? Maybe I will order the same exhaust..

240 2NR
08-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Check to see if there's a leak at the gasket. The way the N1 dual hangs, it kind of puts a lot of force on the cat and if you don't support it properly when you install it, it can feel tight, though the flanges aren't properly lined up and just a few degrees out of parallel is probably enough to create a small leak that would be right under where you sit.

SilviaSR20DET
08-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Ya i think your right about the rust because i spot some rust in between the exhaust connections. I think the rust are coming from the gasket which probably is the thing that caused the burning smell. Oh and ya i love the n1 dual it is the nicest exhaust you can buy for the 240. Sounds great and performs very well in my opinion.

knightrider
08-07-2003, 06:08 PM
exhaust smell, and burning smell is diferent, also if your cat is going bad, it will smell like rotten eggs. and it will smell all the time, not just under high rpm. plus i run a s14 dummy cat, so no innards. its prolly just undercoating.