PDA

View Full Version : tie rod ends (outer) install help

russian
08-05-2003, 11:20 AM
i need some help guys.
im gonna get my second moog tie rod end tommorow,(they had only 1 :mad: ) so....

i have couple questions:
1) how hard to replace? i got manual, so i technically know what to do. is there any catches>
2) balljoint seperator, is it all that needed? cant you just pull it out?
3) it says to lube it, but with what should i use?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

oh btw, forgot,
4) im gonna do one wheel at a time, will it cause problems? :eek:

Dousan_PG
08-05-2003, 11:22 AM
its easy
basic tools
jack car up adn support it
remove the outer
be sure to get alignment afterwards
a BFH might help to get ball joint part off spindle. you dont need some fancy-pants separator
be careful and work safe.

as far as lubes
some wd-40/liquid wrench for stuck bolt (on tie rod) and that's it

russian
08-05-2003, 11:25 AM
you da man dousan.:bowdown:

what about jacking? can i work one wheel at a time or both need to be up-in-da-air?:aw:

edit:

nevermind, ill just make an extra trip to walmart and get all the stuff i need, after im done ill just turn it back in. :)

Dousan_PG
08-05-2003, 11:29 AM
i think its easier w/ both off
then you can turn your wheels left and right w/ no resistance to get better location. and its just much easier that way from my few times doing this. but you can do it either.

uiuc240
08-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Dousan missed something critical:

GREASE

You need to install the zerk fitting in the bottom of your ball joint and then use a grease gun to shoot grease in there after you install the thing. Keep greasing until it just starts to ooze out. You will need to re-grease about once a year, just to top them off. Oh, and the grease is cheap, but don't forget to buy a gun with a flexible hose at the end of it for reaching tight spaces.

Best way to jack is to do both the fronts at the same time. This way the sway bar won't be putting any undue pressure on the control arms.

Oh, and to elaborate on the removal procedure, just whap it with a hammer to get it out.

Eric

russian
08-05-2003, 11:36 AM
sweet. ill get grease tommorow, how much is a grease gun?

Dousan_PG
08-05-2003, 11:38 AM
grease..i never used any on my Tein endlinks..d'oh. ill check it out
thanks for the heads up!

Steeles
08-05-2003, 11:53 AM
brain damge here; grease the what? (i'm trying my best to picture everything down there. gotta get my Kazama's on hopefully this week :)

russian
08-05-2003, 11:57 AM
he was talking about greasing inside the rubber bushing u put on and then attaching joint (werent you?? ), mine is damaged so i looked where the grease came out of and its coming from inside the damaged bushing. :eek:

Replicant_S14
08-05-2003, 01:04 PM
...just to add another POV, I took mine to the alignment shop and had the guy put them on. I mean, you gotta get it aligned anyway and it's really no problem for those guys to do it. I think I threw them an extra 20 bux.

Dousan_PG
08-05-2003, 01:08 PM
my front end alignment cost me 20 bucks....
:)
no use wasting 40 bucks on a job that will take 1 hour at most

Replicant_S14
08-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by dousan36

no use wasting 40 bucks on a job that will take 1 hour at most

Sure, and it probably only took the alignment guy 15 minutes to do but I put a dollar amount on my time. I would have wasted more money doing it myself.

Some stuff, I won't pay someone else to do even if it is cheaper. Like oil changes.

...like I said, it's just another POV.

uiuc240
08-05-2003, 11:26 PM
See the bottom of this end link?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/pca22aef76d76a82f8732444aee8ad5b3/fb865664.jpg

That's the factory SEALED tie rod end. When you buy the new ones, they come with a little zerk fitting that you screw into the middle of the circle that is stamped in the bottom there (the rusty part in the pic). If you don't grease them, they will wear out FAST. But you guys with Tein rod ends might have sealed units...I have no idea.

Eric