PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Coilover owners

riot
08-04-2003, 07:42 AM
I own a set of cusco comp coilovers.
http://www.riotdesigns.com/cusco_comp.jpg

I purchased them used on this board...I know..:rolleyes: Anyways, one damper was blown in the front and I replaced it.

Now I am a bit confused and would like some feedback from other coilover owners. I have helper springs in the rear. They were mounted ABOVE the main spring (I am told that it doesn't matter where they are mounted). I've noticed that when the suspension UNLOADS, there seems to be a popping noise which sounds EXACTLY like a spring. I can't prove its the helper spring but it REALLY sounds like it might be. This also happens if the suspension loads REALLY quick...like on a BIG pothole. Most bumps are fine if taken at a reasonable speed. I checked the dampers in the rear and there are no signs of leaks..the rebound seems fine. I need some thoughts on this as I am SICK and tired of hearing this popping/spring noise..

-ryan

riot
08-05-2003, 08:05 AM
:coolugh:

uno
08-05-2003, 05:50 PM
I don't know about the helper springs, but those are nice looking coilovers

ls350z
08-05-2003, 07:01 PM
First off, you were told correctly, it doesn't matter where the helper spring is.

Before I can accurately say what the sound is I'd have to know a couple of questions, which I'll ask shortly. But looking at the picture it appears that the tender spring/main spring are slipping slightly which might cause the sound. To determine if this is the case, examine the aluminum adaptor between the two and see if there's rub marks. Seeing as how from the pic it looks like the adaptor is anodized red aluminum, it should be quite visable. If you can't see any then it's most likely something else.

If it's not that, answer these two questions. How is the adaptor designed? Is it a flat peice with one small locating flange or does it have two flanges (one for each spring)? Secondly, what is the material of the adaptor? If you can't answer either of these take a close up pic and I can tell you. Third, are the springs loose at full rebound (this actually should be the first question)? Finally, are the pillowball mounts in good shape?

riot
08-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ls350z
First off, you were told correctly, it doesn't matter where the helper spring is.

Before I can accurately say what the sound is I'd have to know a couple of questions, which I'll ask shortly. But looking at the picture it appears that the tender spring/main spring are slipping slightly which might cause the sound. To determine if this is the case, examine the aluminum adaptor between the two and see if there's rub marks. Seeing as how from the pic it looks like the adaptor is anodized red aluminum, it should be quite visable. If you can't see any then it's most likely something else.

If it's not that, answer these two questions. How is the adaptor designed? Is it a flat peice with one small locating flange or does it have two flanges (one for each spring)? Secondly, what is the material of the adaptor? If you can't answer either of these take a close up pic and I can tell you. Third, are the springs loose at full rebound (this actually should be the first question)? Finally, are the pillowball mounts in good shape?

I'd have to look again, but I'm judging these answers based on my memory of when I had them off the car.

Yes, I remember seeing rub marks on the aluminum adaptor that fits between the helper spring and the main spring. At full rebound the helper spring is about HALF WAY compressed. Which means there is NO SLACK. As far as I can tell, the upper mounts are in good shape. The lower bushings are also fine.

Stupid random question, but...is that you hondaman?

-ryan

ls350z
08-06-2003, 05:45 AM
Ryan - yup it's me :).

riot
08-06-2003, 06:36 AM
man I'm good! :cool:

ls350z
08-06-2003, 09:20 AM
You rock - was it the signature that gave it away? I got a 93 240 for $100 and I want to do an S13 front end with a motor swap (CA18, Sr20, or RB25 are all potentials) so I came to the board with the most amount of knowledge.

How do you like your Cusco coilover's other then the noise?

riot
08-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ls350z
You rock - was it the signature that gave it away? I got a 93 240 for $100 and I want to do an S13 front end with a motor swap (CA18, Sr20, or RB25 are all potentials) so I came to the board with the most amount of knowledge.

How do you like your Cusco coilover's other then the noise?

Actually, I heard that you sold your Si and got a 350z sometime ago. I also heard that you have an EG or something? I thought you lived in Ohio...I thought right...plus...for some reason I knew your name was Kevin. In addition to all that...what other newbie comes to a board and makes their first post VERY informative?! :)

Yeah, S13s are just DAMN fun. Mine is such a pile of trash but I love it. My S13 front end I pieced together...I'll never do that again. I would suggest buying it as ONE package...saves a lot of headaches. The coilovers are great...they ride PERFECT if you just ignore the rear adaptors...They are just a little loud but don't REALLY affect the ride quality. If I had to do it again, I probably would get JIC FLT-A2...they are a little more but I dont think I have EVER heard of anyone having ANY problems with them.

-ryan