PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster and ac controls don't work S13

cpl dozier
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Ok, so I tried searching around with no luck. I have a new to me S13, that when I got it had no fuses in the ac controls or blower and radio. The radio was badly wired and would not come on until I re-wired it. Now that is good to go. I put fuses in the AC controls and blower, and defogger spots and nothing changed. Still no ac controls at all. Also, the gauge cluster has nothing working. The only thing in the gauge cluster that works is the fuel gauge.

Any ideas?

There is power on the fuses in the fuse panel. I am not sure where to go with this.

chiboy002
08-03-2010, 05:34 PM
check your fuses again, maybe they blew (highly doubt it but it happened twice to me before) or maybe all the bulbs burnt out (again highly unlikely for all of them to do so at the same time) then pull dash and see if there are plugs missing/unconnected somewhere

Tokona-x
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
check your fuses again, maybe they blew (highly doubt it but it happened twice to me before) or maybe all the bulbs burnt out (again highly unlikely for all of them to do so at the same time) then pull dash and see if there are plugs missing/unconnected somewhere

+1 for checking the fuses again, You never know it might have a short and they could have jumped power from another source just check them all. good luck

cpl dozier
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
All fuses are fine...Power at the fuses. Tested with a DMM. Pulled out the ac controls and looked behind it. All the plugs are plugged in. I will try testing for power at the plugs behind the ac controls tomorrow.

cpl dozier
08-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok and for the gauge cluster. It does glow when you turn on the headlights, and the ac controls have a few spots that light up on the on/off switch and the temp control. But none of the switches between front vents, floor vents, defrost, both floor and front light up. And nothing works on the a/c controls. The gauge cluster has a working gas gauge. That is it. But it does light up. I started digging around the fuse panel for broken or removed wires. Nothing. Did find a plug that goes up to the steering wheel location. It wasn't plugged in. And it has several wires in it. So I dropped the lower dash panel out under the steering wheel. There is another plug in there that goes to where this one should connect. Problem is that this plug is not the same shape as the other plug. So I called the guy I bought the car from. He said that it is not the original motor in that car. Said the motor came out of a 89 or 90 coupe. My car is a 90 hatch.
So I guess I need to figure out how to wire this up. Anyone have diagrams for this plug?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/dozier1/Picture018-6.jpg

Here is the one that goes up towards the steering column.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/dozier1/Picture019-9.jpg
Here is the one that goes to the fuse panel.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/dozier1/Picture020-9.jpg

tommytwo40hands
08-07-2010, 01:16 PM
does your tach work? my coupe has the same problem except my tach, temp guage, and gas gauge work. no dash lights or speedometer tho(but who needs that shit, just download a speedo app on your phone)..your gonna have to take the cluster out to find the problem, not just the lower panel..you can find a video on youtube of how to properly take the cluster out, its a little tricky because you have to take the steering column bolts out(12mm)

cpl dozier
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Does not work:
Temp gauge
Speedo
Tach
A/C controls

Works:
Gas Gauge
Lighting on gauge cluster
Lighting on lower a/c controls

Question. Anyone know how I should hard wire that plug in the pictures? I am certain, they should be attached. Correct me if I am wrong.

tommytwo40hands
08-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Does not work:
Temp gauge
Speedo
Tach
A/C controls

Works:
Gas Gauge

Question. Anyone know how I should hard wire that plug in the pictures? I am certain, they should be attached. Correct me if I am wrong.

Those two pugins aren't connected on my car either(i think they are for diagnostics) and my gauges still work(including my ac controls)My speedo doesn't work because the hud is broken on my car...Take off the gauge cluster and make sure each plugin is connected to the back of the cluster, I've went through this before and thats about the only way to narrow down your problem.

tire_machine
08-07-2010, 03:03 PM
do you have a continuity checker? If not you can make one really simple with a screwdriver and a small lightbulb

Start checking the pins going to the back of your cluster and see if the pins are even getting power. If the fuses are not blown, then there could be break in the wire that is causing you problems

As far as that plug, there are a tonne of really helpful diagrams in the FSM that helped me

cpl dozier
08-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Tested with a DMM. Every plug behind the gauge cluster and behind the AC controls have power.

So why does nothing work? They can't both be bad.

I guess I will try swapping gauge clusters and see what happens.

cpl dozier
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Still not figured out the problem yet.

efrain240sx
08-13-2010, 02:25 AM
have you checked the brown plug that is underneath the glove box; it goes to the ecu. I had the same problem, and it turned out that the plug came louse.

tommy: your TCU may be burned out that's why you don't have dash lights.

tommytwo40hands
08-14-2010, 12:58 PM
tommy: your TCU may be burned out that's why you don't have dash lights.

nope:down: checked it out and it's not blown or burnt up...i could care less that my dash lights don't work, all my necessary gauges work fine.

cpl dozier
08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I will check it tomorrow...I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

RNGWLD
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Did find a plug that goes up to the steering wheel location. It wasn't plugged in. And it has several wires in it. So I dropped the lower dash panel out under the steering wheel. There is another plug in there that goes to where this one should connect. Problem is that this plug is not the same shape as the other plug. So I called the guy I bought the car from. He said that it is not the original motor in that car. Said the motor came out of a 89 or 90 coupe. My car is a 90 hatch.
So I guess I need to figure out how to wire this up. Anyone have diagrams for this plug?

Here is the one that goes up towards the steering column.

Here is the one that goes to the fuse panel.

I have a 93 kade and i also want to know what the hell those plugs are. Been checking my wiring trying to find why my battery keeps dying...wiring mess from previous owner

BoxMan
08-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I've got the same problem. Everything works but the dash light and digital speedo. But the speedo not working is unrelated to the dash light not coming on since everything else in the cluster works. I was about to check my cluster bulb before I went through what you guys already tried. It might not be your solution, but could it be mine??

SinCidius
08-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Does not work:
Temp gauge
Speedo
Tach
A/C controls

Works:
Gas Gauge

Check your Meter fuse. If its gone, theres the problem. If still good. Check other wiring. My problem turned out to be a bad harness & had to replace the whole thing.

bb4_96
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
It's the tcu. i had the same problem. looked fine but swapped a new one and everything came on. I can get one for you if you want?

snake858
08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
having the same problem. mine is only speedometer and odometer. all connections are correct. just ordered a new cluster gauge and hope that fixes it >.<

Cr8zyDrifter
08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
My AC/Heat controls haven't worked in a long time, I still don't know what it is.

fan speed - works
hot/cold - works
mode selector - doesn't work or light up
a/c , recir - doesn't work or light up

I have checked all fuses tons of times.
swapped A/c heat controls for other one
swapped mode door motor for another one

Still doesn't work. anyone got any ideas???????

I have a complete DCC Unit with all sensors and everything, but I can't swap it until I figure this out. damnit!!

cpl dozier
08-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Ok so I swapped the cluster...Still no dice...PM sent to bb4.

cpl dozier
08-28-2010, 10:52 AM
So TCU anyone???

snake858
10-07-2010, 01:32 PM
has a resolution for this been found?

Flatline1121
11-01-2010, 09:34 AM
looks like it's the TCU as BB4 said. do all s13's have them? im not usre because TCU's for hondas are for auto trans cars. my vert has this problem and i have a parts hatch thats a 5 speed. If the hatch has one ill try it out and let everyone know.

thats the little gray box on the passenger side under the dash with a blue relay attached to it right?

projectRDM
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a 93 kade and i also want to know what the hell those plugs are. Been checking my wiring trying to find why my battery keeps dying...wiring mess from previous owner

One is for the OE foglight switch, which you don't have. The other should only be found on SOHC cars, and it's the diagnostic port before CONSULT was introduced (1991 was the first year).

dr.klawn
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
kinda curious about this also... my dashlights keep coming on, then going off!! seems more like a ground issue. but now my a/c controls just stopped!! now i don't have a fan anymore...

Flatline1121
11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
well if that box i was talking about was the TCU it didn't fix my problem. all of the plugs under the dash are snug. i dont have ym dash on so i can get to everything.

its weird because it worked when i hooked it up at first and during a test drive (i just put a motor in and swapped to 5 speed) it just quit. i think the fuel gauge works because the cluster read over full before i hooked it up and dnow reads just under half. the lights on it work but the notification lights dont (CEL, Brake, oil and such.) the battery light is on but very dim but that has something to do with the alt not being hooked up right.

a/c controls light up as well but the blower doesn't work. im gonna double check the fuses and connections with a DMM probably this weekend. i think my issue may have something to do with the engine harness though. i put everything together in a hurry because i had to move.

Flatline1121
11-07-2010, 07:28 AM
So, my issue isn't the TCU. Just swapped in a working good one and it did nothing. Time to get to testing.

gabe92
08-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Ever find the problem ?

VinceDude
01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I keep running into these unresolved threads with this issue!!!! WTFFFFFF