PDA

View Full Version : oil in exhaust??........

Jsal32
07-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a 91 coupe with an N/A KA24DE.

When I bought the car it had severe smoking and start up issues. I found 2 injectors to be the culprit... fixed that issue.

Now I can turn on the car have it idle without a problem but once i drive it and put it under load it starts to let out black smoke and spews black liquid out of the tail pipe. Neither the smoke or the liquid smell like fuel but it the texture is that of oil or coolant.

Compression numbers are even across the board at 150 on a cold engine. Engine temp needle never rises past the middle.

Only thing I can think of is:

1) bad valve stem seals

2) bad headgasket, the black liquid I see is really coolant that travels through an exhaust system that is coated in crap

Either way I would need to pull off the head but I want to exhaust any other options before I do so. This is where you guys come in...... Any ideas??

Thanks,

-Jose

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Turns out I had a clogged muffler. Car had previously had bad injectors that dumped a butt load of fuel and that's what I was seeing. Extremely old fuel and condensation. Took off the exhaust at the downpipe and ran the engine without any signs of smoke or fluid coming out. Replaced the exhaust from the downpipe back and have driven the car without any problems!

Long story short:

CHECK UR CAT AND MUFFLER FOR ANY SIGNS OF CLOGGING!

Tokona-x
08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
how do your spark plugs look do they have oil on them?

40cal
08-01-2010, 03:50 PM
bad stem seals or bad valve guides. try doing a leakdown test.
also, if your low on fund you can just use heavy weight oil or a stop leak temporarily.

first find out what it is. you can get a used head real cheap. get it done up at a local machine shop and swap it.