PDA

View Full Version : Failed smog..for the 14th time. Fresno, CA

StryfeS13
07-27-2010, 05:41 AM
I have had my 240sx for over a year now and I still have not got it to pass smog. I rebuilt the engine, cleaned out every piece of emissions equipment possible, found a few collapsing/old vacuum hoses and replaced them, got a new cat, a new egr to manifold pipe, etc etc etc. STILL FAILS.

It fails NOx...it passes the 15MPH test, and fails the 25MPH...says the max allowed is 493, and my car is 593. Even if I would've passed, I still would've failed, because they said my cat was modified....because it doesnt have a carb E.O number on it. So I swapped my cat for my friends stock cat (hopefully it's good)

I've been reading for hours on several forum boards, and some people say to just straight up bypass the BPT valve and connect the vacuum lines that go to the BPT valve so that the egr is forced open always. I'm not sure if this will pass visual, and/or trigger a CEL, though.

People also say it may be the PAIR, and to shove a nickle in the hose and slip it back onto the exhaust pipe.

Im pretty much desperate here, and yes I've tried everything, even the denatured alcohol thing.

Does anyone know of a DONT PASS DONT PAY smog station in Fresno, CA?

ZX88
07-27-2010, 06:23 AM
i didnt even know 240s could even pass smog anymore....

DreamN
07-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Clean your EGR or consider replacing it. It may not be functioning correctly. Check your timing as well.

240sx123$
07-27-2010, 08:19 AM
14 times? Shit, after 3 I think I'd just take the tickets..

StryfeS13
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Yep..14 times. I have receipts to prove it lol.

I'll try cleaning my EGR out. I have a spare one so I'll try using that.

niteridaz503
07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Yep..14 times. I have receipts to prove it lol.

I'll try cleaning my EGR out. I have a spare one so I'll try using that.

Had the same issue but i only failed 4 times lol, have you replaced any sensors?

locoluna825
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
make sure the EGR valve functions properly before you even bother cleaning it. Does it hold vaccum??? IF it dont its no good.

Drift N Dragg
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Buy a new car.

driftsilvias13
07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Just get it passed!

jinesz32
07-27-2010, 04:14 PM
If it triggers cel just wire the oil light to the cel haha.

I rebuilt my ka too and it passed smog with flying colors visual on the other hand failed cuz my cel is on from tranny codes.

Smogs a hassle I know ur pain .

Good luck

s14koukirules
07-27-2010, 10:51 PM
i want to wire the oil light to the cell so i can pass smog how did u do that?

kushlivin
07-27-2010, 11:20 PM
14 times? Shit, after 3 I think I'd just take the tickets..
^^what this guy said, or seriously dude yes buy another car:2c:

singlecamslam
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Dont worry about the CEL light unless its OBDII, you can just reset the computer right before the test. As for you my friend, 14 times i hope you got a discount, with free retest thats still over 300 bucks jesus.
And i never heard them looking at OE numbers on cats thats some bullshit go to a different station. Retard your timing to 17 degrees you should pass, good luck.

Renelovesnike
07-27-2010, 11:34 PM
** EDIT **

NOTE TO USER: Zilvia does NOT Support Illegal Activities, to include Smog Hook Up.. Keep that Crap to yourself! If I see if again you will be Pinked for no less then a Month..

shiftdrift
07-28-2010, 12:00 AM
so you're insisting doing something ILLEGAL on a public forum? cool bro.

handinpants
07-28-2010, 01:22 AM

yeah, i don't think your supposed to tell someone to go the illegal route, my sr20det passed smog with flying colors while the car was in impound, never saw the smog machine, but some how it "legally" passed....

240sx123$
07-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Says the guy waiting for marriage to have sex. :jerkit: Dont be such a vag. (no offense, lol)

You do what you gotta do. Just because its illegal doesnt make it morally wrong. The laws are stupid, and we find a way around them. In my state, we swap out our gauge clusters for ones with the "right mileage" to pass. In my state if you drive under 5k miles a year, youre emissions exempt. So i put all my miles on one cluster, then swap to the other for inspection. Is it illegal? Sure. But who gives a fuck?

These are laws made by policiticans and enforced by people who think theyre just as stupid as we do. Fuck it.

ka-titties
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
move somewhere less gay

!Zar!
07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I doubt most people would even want to, 'pass' that car after it has failed so many times.

So you changed all that stuff, yet not the egr its self? Try that...

EightySix200SX
07-28-2010, 11:14 AM
retard the timing untill it runs like shit to the point where it has lacking acceleration that should get you passed ive passed several ka24e's like that. and run ngk plugs for some rason that combo has helped in the past.

!Zar!
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Smog shops check the timing.

enkei2k
07-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Just because its illegal doesnt make it morally wrong.

wait...what? :bs:

!Zar!
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Ethically wrong, yes.

Morally wrong, somewhat, since it is illegal and you one is knowingly trying to do something wrong.

240sx123$
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM

You disagree? If you think smog is about anything besides money, youre crazy. Its not about the environment, and its not like his car is running no cat. Just because something is law doesnt mean that law defines whats right or wrong. There are plenty of laws that exemplify this. One such example- its illegal to smoke weed. (yes completely unrelated, its just an example) Does that make me a bad person if I do? Just because its illegal doesnt mean its morally or ethically wrong.

PA has a law that says once youve spend a certain amount of money towards passing emissions, if you STILL dont pass, they give you an exempt. CA will just let you keep failing and failing, while they rake in the money. That doesnt seem very fair to me. I think CA has lost sight of the fact that, while the environment is important, its unfair to make people go to such extreme lengths to drive a car that, anywhere else in the US, would be perfectly legal. So would I feel bad if I needed to cheat the system to get that car to pass? Fuck no.

BoostSlideWayz
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
dude... go to like a ghetto town.... ( bakersfield ) might be a long drive for you though. But yeah in bakersfield there are tons of places that will pass you for like 150 bucks. My friend told me of a place where he showed up with his truck with just headers on it and they literally just looked up the same model truck that belonged to someone else put his name on the papers.. passed. only thing is, is that its not 100 % that that will happen to you. any smog company thats really serious is gonna make sure everything is up to spec. either spend the money on making it perfectly stock.. or spend it for bribe.

Good luck

!Zar!
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
You disagree? If you think smog is about anything besides money, youre crazy. Its not about the environment, and its not like his car is running no cat. Just because something is law doesnt mean that law defines whats right or wrong. There are plenty of laws that exemplify this. One such example- its illegal to smoke weed. (yes completely unrelated, its just an example) Does that make me a bad person if I do? Just because its illegal doesnt mean its morally or ethically wrong
First things first, all states are in need of money, so it works. AND it helps keep our air quality from deteriorating as fast? Works for me.

PA has a law that says once youve spend a certain amount of money towards passing emissions, if you STILL dont pass, they give you an exempt. CA will just let you keep failing and failing, while they rake in the money. That doesnt seem very fair to me. I think CA has lost sight of the fact that, while the environment is important, its unfair to make people go to such extreme lengths to drive a car that, anywhere else in the US, would be perfectly legal. So would I feel bad if I needed to cheat the system to get that car to pass? Fuck no.
So that's like going to college, and if you keep failing, they eventually give you a degree? hahaha wtf.
And your only reasoning is because everyone else does it that way, Cali should follow? LOVE IT.
If a car isn't suit to run on the roads, get rid of it. Simple enough.

boosted KA24DE
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Jersey sucks ass for inspection. When I was in Florida i had all the egr stuff removed and made all the noise outta my exhaust as I pleased. I wanna move back to Florida for sure big turbo and all and drive like its my last day on this earth. lmao

240sx123$
07-29-2010, 08:00 AM
So that's like going to college, and if you keep failing, they eventually give you a degree? hahaha wtf.

No, its more like a person being a complete failure as a human being, so we give them welfare. :p

I dunno, i just feel like all of the loops we have to jump through to get our cars legal is a little ridiculous. The fact that ANY cel for even the stupidest of sensors makes you fail... kills me. I'm sorry, but im not gonna spend $1200 fixing a dumbass evap code or something stupid, just so my car can pass legitimately. Im not adding to the pollution, so i dont feel even remotely guilty for doing what I gotta do to get my car to pass.

240sx123$
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Jersey sucks ass for inspection. When I was in Florida i had all the egr stuff removed and made all the noise outta my exhaust as I pleased. I wanna move back to Florida for sure big turbo and all and drive like its my last day on this earth. lmao

Quit your bitchin. Jersey only does inspection once every TWO years, and you ONLY have to pass emissions. Theres no visual/safety check anymore in Jersey. You got it pretty easy still. I honestly dont know what id do if i was in cali. I can't drive a stock car. Just cant. lol

Dream240
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
I have had my 240sx for over a year now and I still have not got it to pass smog. I rebuilt the engine, cleaned out every piece of emissions equipment possible, found a few collapsing/old vacuum hoses and replaced them, got a new cat, a new egr to manifold pipe, etc etc etc. STILL FAILS.

It fails NOx...it passes the 15MPH test, and fails the 25MPH...says the max allowed is 493, and my car is 593. Even if I would've passed, I still would've failed, because they said my cat was modified....because it doesnt have a carb E.O number on it. So I swapped my cat for my friends stock cat (hopefully it's good)

I've been reading for hours on several forum boards, and some people say to just straight up bypass the BPT valve and connect the vacuum lines that go to the BPT valve so that the egr is forced open always. I'm not sure if this will pass visual, and/or trigger a CEL, though.

People also say it may be the PAIR, and to shove a nickle in the hose and slip it back onto the exhaust pipe.

Im pretty much desperate here, and yes I've tried everything, even the denatured alcohol thing.

Okay, so to get back to the O.P.

What year is your car? Unfortunately if it's 95 or older, they won't do the "Don't Pass, Don't Pay" deal. Also you have to pay an extra $10 if it's a 95', stupid I know but I do it every two years.

And yes 240s can still pass smog.....

From what you're saying, it's seems you just have a failing EGR. vaccuum test it if you have a tester, if not, don't buy one just to test. Just buy another EGR, NOT USED! Buy a new one for 100.00 and be done with it. You can get them on ebay pretty easy.

I just had to smog my 95', and I failed the first time because I didn't realize my bro removed the EGR system, and capped it. Yeah....I failed real quick. Found the system and put it back on, passed easy. Also I have the stock header w/cat on AND another magnaflow cat right after it that I put on myself. With 200k+ miles, car passes like brand new!

And just some experienced advice, NEVER keep re-smogging your car 14 times! That's just ridiculous, I could see 3 times, but after that, the money your pouring into a smog check after each fix attempt is more than what it would have cost you to take it to a 'pre-inspection' site and have them fix it for you so that it would pass smog on your 2nd run. They do have places like that, just so you know.

Here's a link to CA certified shops in California, just look in your area, And ASK for discounts!!! Most shops will give you a discount if you only ask!

Free Up To $30 OFF Smog Check Coupons - SmogTips.com. Smog Check. California Smog Check. California emissions test. Smog test, smog center, smog test only center locations, and auto repair shops. Smog stations. Smog check deals. Find a, smog station, (http://www.smogtips.com/)

Don't give up on your 240, they're great cars and since you've already rebuilt the engine, you'll have a fun car to drive legally, once you pass!

Hope this helps you.

Peace.

slomar91
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Grab a vacuum gun and test out all your solenoids. Specs are in the fsm, but usually you apply 12 volts to the connector and check if the valve opens/closes. A faulty egr solenoid can easily cause you to fail

StryfeS13
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Okay, so to get back to the O.P.

What year is your car? Unfortunately if it's 95 or older, they won't do the "Don't Pass, Don't Pay" deal. Also you have to pay an extra $10 if it's a 95', stupid I know but I do it every two years.

And yes 240s can still pass smog.....

From what you're saying, it's seems you just have a failing EGR. vaccuum test it if you have a tester, if not, don't buy one just to test. Just buy another EGR, NOT USED! Buy a new one for 100.00 and be done with it. You can get them on ebay pretty easy.

I just had to smog my 95', and I failed the first time because I didn't realize my bro removed the EGR system, and capped it. Yeah....I failed real quick. Found the system and put it back on, passed easy. Also I have the stock header w/cat on AND another magnaflow cat right after it that I put on myself. With 200k+ miles, car passes like brand new!

And just some experienced advice, NEVER keep re-smogging your car 14 times! That's just ridiculous, I could see 3 times, but after that, the money your pouring into a smog check after each fix attempt is more than what it would have cost you to take it to a 'pre-inspection' site and have them fix it for you so that it would pass smog on your 2nd run. They do have places like that, just so you know.

Here's a link to CA certified shops in California, just look in your area, And ASK for discounts!!! Most shops will give you a discount if you only ask!

Free Up To $30 OFF Smog Check Coupons - SmogTips.com. Smog Check. California Smog Check. California emissions test. Smog test, smog center, smog test only center locations, and auto repair shops. Smog stations. Smog check deals. Find a, smog station, (http://www.smogtips.com/)

Don't give up on your 240, they're great cars and since you've already rebuilt the engine, you'll have a fun car to drive legally, once you pass!

Hope this helps you.

Peace.

My car is a 93'. I have changed the EGR but it wasn't with a brand new one. I cleaned it out, for an hour, and slapped it on. Could it be faulty, even though the car stumbles when I apply pressure to the diaphragm? I changed the BPT valve too.

I actually took it to a dont pass dont pay station, and the guy let me watch the computer as he tested it. The second he put the sniffer in, my NO was above 1000. He told me I could retard it to 12BTDC and bring it back and he'll test it, but I haven't had time.

I'm actually meeting up with a buddy tomorrow, and I guess he doesn't put the sniffer in all the way, and puts a big fan next to it so it can read as well. Hopefully that will go through, he only wants 50 dollars.

I'm not going to give up on my 240. I've had this thing for like a year and a half and it's been nothing but problems. But I keep it cause I enjoy the car, and I have a built motor just waiting to go in. But until then...

SoCalDrifter
07-29-2010, 11:28 PM
i didnt read threw the whole post but run some 91 octane gas b4 you go and drive around for 15-20 min and get a oil change with the best oil and i bet youll pass im supprised they didnt pay you only 100 over. but if it makes you feel better on my first 240 my emissions was at 1300 almost 3x over

StryfeS13
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I have done that :X

The first time I tested my 240 it was at about 2300. Lol.

C. Anderson
07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
I think emissions is stupid. In eight hours, 40,000 new cars will have been built; in a day, 100,000. A car causes more pollution before it's ever driven than in its entire lifetime of driving.

Ghost240
07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
i think emissions is stupid. In eight hours, 40,000 new cars will have been built; in a day, 100,000. A car causes more pollution before it's ever driven than in its entire lifetime of driving.
+100000000

240Shwag
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM

I live in NJ. I have a full exhuast from engine to tailpipe. EGR removed. I just passed inspection last week.

To the OP. Retard your base timing by 5 degrees. Change the oil. Replace the sparkplugs, rotor, and cap. What your trying to do is make your overall cylinder temperatures decrease. That will help reduce Nox output.

StryfeS13
07-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I took my car in today, and they looked at it, didnt even turn it on, and they said, it failed! no reasons, whatsoever. and i was like WHAT THE FUCK

I give up

SochBAT
07-30-2010, 06:33 PM
If you're in CA and have spent in excess of 200+ dollars, you qualify for the 2 year smog exemption/postponement.

They give you 2 years to "fix" the problem while still being on the road driving legally.

StryfeS13
07-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, but I believe that once that 2 years is up they inspect your car and if you still fail they take it from you.

Is there a link to this?!

By the way...found out there was a vacuum leak from where the back of the egr bolts to the front of the egr. fixed it. found some vacuum hoses that were a little too big and leaking, fixed that.

niteridaz503
07-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Keep looking man I'm pretty sure there's lil things that are messed up or needing adjustments. PM me I might be able 2 lend a hand

dreamin240sx
07-31-2010, 11:04 PM
hey just move to west virginia theres no smog testing what so ever.. ahh i love straight pipes lol

dubman
07-31-2010, 11:07 PM
that sucks bro. california is the worst for passing smog

Corbic
08-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Buy a new car.

Correction - Older Car, I would not touch anything Post-72 in California. Screw that state.

Corbic
08-01-2010, 12:34 AM
I think emissions is stupid. In eight hours, 40,000 new cars will have been built; in a day, 100,000. A car causes more pollution before it's ever driven than in its entire lifetime of driving.

Try - Shipping Pollution

Ship pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_pollution)

According to Wiki, 40% of all Air Pollution comes from Cargo Ships.

Oh yeah, the worlds 10 largest container ships... 10, just 10... pollute more each year then all the cars in the world.

Big polluters: one massive container ship equals 50 million cars (http://www.gizmag.com/shipping-pollution/11526/)

singlecamslam
08-01-2010, 02:22 AM
that info is wrong. 40% of air pollution comes from powering big buildings and factories. When you live in california, no matter how stupid it is you have to do it, and it will keep getting stricter and stricter, get used it.

Corbic
08-01-2010, 08:20 AM
that info is wrong. 40% of air pollution comes from powering big buildings and factories. When you live in california, no matter how stupid it is you have to do it, and it will keep getting stricter and stricter, get used it.

That sounds right though.

40% Factory/Electric
40% Shipping
10% Automotive
10% Other.

Cr8zyDrifter
08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
You disagree? If you think smog is about anything besides money, youre crazy. Its not about the environment, and its not like his car is running no cat. Just because something is law doesnt mean that law defines whats right or wrong. There are plenty of laws that exemplify this. One such example- its illegal to smoke weed. (yes completely unrelated, its just an example) Does that make me a bad person if I do? Just because its illegal doesnt mean its morally or ethically wrong.

It is all about the money, but what i can't figure out is why they hell is cali so broke. I mean they get more money in medical marjiuana taxes than any other state and they have strict smog standards. and people like the op are spending paper out the ass to get there shit smogged 14 times just to fail again. what the fuck are they doing with all that money......

I guess another government bail-out is in order. and you all will still be paying for smog and shit LOL. Fuck cali. why the fuck are all the 240's there when all the gay ass laws are there too. If wasn't for the Weed thing I would really hate cali. but I love my weed. LOL

Corbic
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
It is all about the money, but what i can't figure out is why they hell is cali so broke. I mean they get more money in medical marjiuana taxes than any other state and they have strict smog standards. and people like the op are spending paper out the ass to get there shit smogged 14 times just to fail again. what the fuck are they doing with all that money......

I guess another government bail-out is in order. and you all will still be paying for smog and shit LOL. Fuck cali. why the fuck are all the 240's there when all the gay ass laws are there too. If wasn't for the Weed thing I would really hate cali. but I love my weed. LOL

They are broke from illegal immigration and giving away/wasting money like its going out of style.

In 2004, the LA School System had a budget of 12 billion dollars, an external audit found they could only account for 3.2 billion of that money - ie actual money going toward gallery, legacy costs and and facility cost. That is over 8 billion that just "vanished".

Someone seriously needs to start cutting up both the state AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS CREDIT CARDS all ready. Term limitations if you can't vote them out... force them out.

(ie democratic areas would never vote for a Republic no matter how bad their person is - see Pelosi, and Republican areas will not vote for a democrat, for the same reason - see McCain.

Tokona-x
08-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I took my car in today, and they looked at it, didnt even turn it on, and they said, it failed! no reasons, whatsoever. and i was like WHAT THE FUCK

I give up

Hang in there man some places are like that ,SUPER picky !! im assuming your going to a test only every time right? What i do before i have to take my car to get smoged is take it it into a smoke shop that isnt just test only and have then check it out. Try to find one in your area they might be able to help you out or even tell you whats up, Then when its all fixed they can test it right there and tell you if it will pass and then you can go to the test only. who knows he might even recommend a place you can take it too. Good luck man been there done that id a friken pain!!!

Clean your EGR or consider replacing it. It may not be functioning correctly. Check your timing as well.

Yup ! i had to change my egr and adjust my timing hen i finally passed!!

StryfeS13
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I PASSED!

What i did was clean out the EGR, replaced the gasket, sprayed a can of intake cleaner into the intake manifold, changed the oil, and fixed all my leaks, etc.

It barely passed but it did!

niteridaz503
08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
^^^^

nice congrats......

Psycho 240 Freak
08-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Congratulations. I admire your determination. I would've went the other route. CA doesn't care about the environment. If they did, a cleaner, more effecient engine swap, with better gas mileage ie the SR wouldn't be illegal.

jzepol1985
08-05-2010, 02:20 AM
They are broke from illegal immigration and giving away/wasting money like its going out of style.

In 2004, the LA School System had a budget of 12 billion dollars, an external audit found they could only account for 3.2 billion of that money - ie actual money going toward gallery, legacy costs and and facility cost. That is over 8 billion that just "vanished".

Someone seriously needs to start cutting up both the state AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS CREDIT CARDS all ready. Term limitations if you can't vote them out... force them out.

(ie democratic areas would never vote for a Republic no matter how bad their person is - see Pelosi, and Republican areas will not vote for a democrat, for the same reason - see McCain.

lol ok

congrats on passing

S14Cuhh
08-05-2010, 02:29 AM
HAHAH i smogged my streeetported , catless fc
i payed 150 and didnt even take my car in

Tokona-x
08-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I PASSED!

What i did was clean out the EGR, replaced the gasket, sprayed a can of intake cleaner into the intake manifold, changed the oil, and fixed all my leaks, etc.

It barely passed but it did!

Congratulations !!!:w00t::w00t: