PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Canister

RedlineRacer
07-28-2003, 11:07 PM
There's been some talk about taking the carbon canister out. Some people said it's a good mod. I asked around I heard not to take it off. They said it makes your car smell like gas all the time.

the head
07-29-2003, 07:52 AM
usually that is correct

Muzzy
07-29-2003, 08:51 AM
yup

RedlineRacer
07-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Is the hp gain it worth it? I really don't like the smell of gas.

Negreac
07-29-2003, 12:00 PM
As far as I know performance is unaffected by the CC. The only real reason to remove it is to clean up your engine bay a bit and/or weight removal even though it's probably only 2lbs max. The downside like was mentioned is occasionally your engine compartment will smell like gasoline.

kandyflip445
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't finding where all the tubes go and capping them off eliminate the gas smell anyways???

I really don't care. I'm just gonna leave mine in. Just trying to pose a good question.

old_s13
07-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Removing the charcoal canister will only effect emissions, its required to capture those fumes and I beleive, turn them back into the motor (something like that).

Anyway, capping the charcoal canister hose from the gas tank is not a good idea. The gas tank needs to be ventillated or else the car will not perform correctly..

- Mike

kandyflip445
07-30-2003, 03:14 AM
So what about capping the other lines where they lead, and rerouting the line from the tank to the opposite side of the exhaust (rear-passenger)?

old_s13
07-30-2003, 08:15 AM
Dude just unplug it.. I havent smelled the slightest bit of gas since Ive had mine off, for like 2 years.

- Mike

AKADriver
07-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Why would anyone want to remove the CC? :confused:

Seriously sometimes this forum sounds like a bunch of chaw-spittin' rednecks... I'MA GONNA TAKE ALL THAT DANG EEEE-MISHINS SHEYAT OFF'N MAH CAWR, I TELL YEW WUT! *spit*

RedlineRacer
07-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by AKADriver
Why would anyone want to remove the CC? :confused:

Seriously sometimes this forum sounds like a bunch of chaw-spittin' rednecks... I'MA GONNA TAKE ALL THAT DANG EEEE-MISHINS SHEYAT OFF'N MAH CAWR, I TELL YEW WUT! *spit*

lmao, thats too funny

transient
07-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Ok, for all who've just taken out the carbon canister... *Bitchslap!* Think about it for a second. You're VENTING YOUR TANK INTO A CLOSED COMPARTMENT! One stray spark and you're not going to be having much fun! Seriously guys, this is dangerous. Don't do it. Now... if you want to find a way to relocate it or something like that, or find another way to vent, that's cool, but don't just remove it and vent freely!

kandyflip445
07-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by transient
Ok, for all who've just taken out the carbon canister... *Bitchslap!* Think about it for a second. You're VENTING YOUR TANK INTO A CLOSED COMPARTMENT! One stray spark and you're not going to be having much fun! Seriously guys, this is dangerous. Don't do it. Now... if you want to find a way to relocate it or something like that, or find another way to vent, that's cool, but don't just remove it and vent freely!

^^^What I was thinking.

I really don't see the point in takin mine out. Just trying to keep ppl from doin it wrong by askin questions.

Negreac
07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by old_s13
Removing the charcoal canister will only effect emissions, its required to capture those fumes and I beleive, turn them back into the motor (something like that).

Anyway, capping the charcoal canister hose from the gas tank is not a good idea. The gas tank needs to be ventillated or else the car will not perform correctly..

- Mike

Caping the hose from the gas tank to the CC will not effect performance. I don't know where you're getting your info but it's wrong. The CC doesn't really serve as a vent. The basic purpose of the CC is to recycle the fumes from your gas tank so they aren't released into the atmosphere (so yes the CC is emmisions based from that sense). The CC will not really effect performance and I suppose so long as you plug the fuel vapor line you won't smell gas under the hood. It also shouldn't effect passing your emmisions test since I've never heard of them checking gasoline vapor ventilation, but if they notice that it's gone in a visual inspection you might be screwed, but I have no idea if they check that kind of stuff cause I live in MI and we don't get annual tests. I removed mine just to give my engine bay a cleaner look.

einherjar
08-24-2003, 07:53 PM
sorry about the opening of an old thread but i was just wondering ... i am removing the carbon canister only because it is in the way of my intercooler, should i cap all the opening's or let if vent freely.

thanks

240_keyy
08-24-2003, 11:02 PM
cap them. I have mine capped and have no problems. I have been running without one since about january and have had no problems on either the KA or the SR. It doesn't do anything but take up space and **** me off...:axe:

old_s13
08-25-2003, 12:01 AM
As far as I know, the gas tank is not designed to be a closed system as its pressures constantly changes. It can handle a certain amount of pressure, but after a certian psi it has a valve the opens and releives the excess pressure. Rather than venting into the atmostphere, the charcoal canister is used and collects the vapors and converts them back into liquid gasoline. The gas is then recycled into the intake system and consumed by the motor.

I have had my charcoal canister disconnected for years all the way up to the solid pipe near the transmission.

- Mike

einherjar
08-25-2003, 07:28 AM
i see what your saying but if i cap these lines if it goes to a certain pressure it would try to vent it off and then it will not be able too and couldn't this cause some damage?

the head
08-25-2003, 03:10 PM
i took out the canister but then ran a piece of hose from the hardline near the trans back under the car air vent without canister

Negreac
08-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by einherjar
i see what your saying but if i cap these lines if it goes to a certain pressure it would try to vent it off and then it will not be able too and couldn't this cause some damage?

No.