PDA

View Full Version : wiring up electric fan

spools420a
07-24-2010, 06:18 PM
So I was wiring up an electric fan and I ran a wire to the blue wire on the back ofthe ignition that I thought was ACC,So when I turn the key to on the fan runs and when the key is off the fan shuts off but I noticed my rpms drop slightly when I hook it up and also the fuel pump seems to take longer to prime,Is the blue wire behind the ignition ok to use for this?Seems like the fan is taking alot of load,Maybe I should run it else wear?Let me know if this is normal I dont wanna run lean because my fuel pump is getting the juice it needs.Do I need a relay to prevent this?

chituntang
07-24-2010, 07:22 PM
1. What fan are you running?
2. You should not run your e-fan at on at all time when your car is running.
3. RPM will drop as you are making the alternator to work harder to produce more electric power.
4. Do not know anything about fuel pump to e fan relationship, but since they both use electric power, I guess it is normal.
5. No, tapping that blue line isn't the best solution, and relay has nothing to do with how much power you draw, it's a on/off switch.

s13love-green
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
someone needs to upload a video on youtube showing how to wire an electric fan so i can watch it.

spools420a
07-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Well I decided to run a 16 guage wire and 15a fuse from the fan to the ACC behind the radio with a toggle switch and made the fan a draw through style from the radiator,I only wanted to run a electric fan to run somewhat cooler for summer since I live in arizona so I'm not planning on running it all the time,mostley for hot days/when running a/c and when under boost.I worry about running the fan while under boost since it seems to be stealing some of the load from the fuel pump even that its running from behind the radio so maybe I'll run it afer I boost if temps decide to raise a little,I havent had any issues with my factory fan but I figure the extra cooling should be a good idea non the less.

repda916
07-24-2010, 09:26 PM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5468/240sxelectricfansetup.jpg

volkrps13
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I run my fans all the time because I know Nissan engines dont like to be over heated especeially RBs and KAs. That really isnt that much of an issue if you live somewhere thats hot or warm all the time..

its taking longer for the pump to prime because the battery is using power for the fans, all your electronics, etc...

i wouldnt really worry about it if the car runs fine

2wycked
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
dont any of you worry about running a relay to power your fans?

aled
07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Running fans constantly makes it seem evident you have a short-fall elsewhere in your cooling system.

There are plenty of write-ups about wiring electrics fans, even S-Chassis related just on Google/240sxtech.

Anyways, I have my Flex-a-Lites wired through a thermostat. The kit I used is available at O'Reilly Auto stores (Part Number #3652 or 3654); Comes with all necessary wiring, a temperature prong for the radiator, and a switch to adjust the fan temperature. I run my Flex-A-Lites off 2 of these (one for each fan; kicking on at different temperatures). They are wired with an inline fuse, so if one fails, the other is there for backup.

Lastly, they are powered directly from the fusebox post. So when the car turns off, the fans stay on until the kick-off temperature is reached.

BoostSlideWayz
07-28-2010, 08:15 PM
i just rock a toggle switch lol, pretty inconvenient when it comes to daily driving though. i would just go to the ignition relay, wire it to where it bolts in or plugs in. idk what engine its for. Mine just has 2 bolts that hold it in, and its were right when i turn the key on the fan goes on.

stinky_180
07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/circuits.jpg

substitue the lights in the diagram with an e-fan

for the switch, instead of using battery for the switch, i use my +12V ACC on my radio wiring harness. that way, the fan can only be turned on with the key in the ACC or ON position.

if you can not follow this, please take your vehicle to a mechanic