PDA

View Full Version : hot motor = car not starting?

k-love
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I have a 98 kouki that when it starts to get hot the temp fluctuates alot, and today even shut the motor off itself, and now the car will not crank over again, this is the second time, the first time I thought I had fixed it because it ran fine for about 10 minutes but now its doing it again. I have replaced the thermostat, starter, alternator, checked all the harness wiring, got a new ignition switch, bled the coolant system, and flushed the trans fluid that did not have coolant in it (auto car), all trying to figure out what it could be. Anyone have this problem before? Any ideas what it could be?

Sileighty_85
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
pull codes from ECU,

Kinda sounds like the Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) went bad.

k-love
07-31-2010, 02:52 AM
Would a coolant temp sensor cause it not to start/ crank over though?

IHasLongTorso
07-31-2010, 04:11 AM
Usually a CTS will let it crank just not start and at times smell like flooding and foul your plugs. But not cranking at all. That's sounds different. It wouldn't hurt to check it out thought and maybe replace it. Its only like 20bucks. Definately pull your codes though.

mxexux
07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Sounds to me like air bubbles are working through the system when the thermo opens up. Make double sure that your coolant system is bled properly. Its not common but I believe if the ECU sees temperature rise to a certain point it will disable the engine from starting in effort to protect it.

mattack69
07-31-2010, 07:25 AM
if you didn't bleed the coolant system you will get air pockets, now as far as your car being like a woman I don't know 100% if the ecu will do as mxexux has stated. I do know you need to get on that bleeder valve back it out, and start bleeding it if you didn't in the first place. If you need help PM me I'll walk you through it.

shanelach
07-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Check the resistance across the CTS pins. If its bad the computer is going to think its like -30 degrees and run pig rich so that could be a problem.

k-love
07-31-2010, 02:52 PM
But the car is not cranking at all and the system was bled properly with no bubbles