PDA

View Full Version : KA wont turn on after 370 install!!!

180PWR
07-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Ok.. I just made another post about the KA idling weird but i left it off for about an hour to take a shower and went out to go buy something and the car wont turn on.. I only tried twice but im guessing that the Cylinders got flooded with fuel ?
Could it be that one of my injectors is staying open constantly ?
And in the case that it did get flooded would taking out the spark plugs and turning the crank over get the fuel out ? I have to work tomorrow and have no money, My stock injectors are destroyed and i need a quick fix!!!! >_<

Bill Roberts
07-27-2003, 08:35 PM
You could have posted under your old post.

But anyway...hold the pedal to the floor while cranking for 5 seconds and gently bring the pedal (while still cranking) to the half way point, it should sputter and smoke and finally shake to life and fire off....then run it for about 1 min at 3K rpm and shut it down. In the morning it should get you to work. If you have a battery charger, do it with it hooked up. Running the starter for more than 45 seconds will burn the bushings and brushes out of it..dont crank for more than 15 seconds and then wait 5 mins

180PWR
07-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Didnt work, I took out the spark plugs to crank it and get the spark plugs out in case it was flooded and it looks like spark plug #1 and #4 are dead... Theyre literally pitch black and when i took em out they actually had some wet fuel on em... Im guessing the shop who did my S-AFC install didnt do a good job.. Im gonna try running the car with some new Bosch spark units i have laying around and see how the idle reacts.. If it doesnt work well im gonna go to the shop and demand they double check theyre installation..
Could the cause of this also be that one of my injectors is constantly staying open ?
How would i be able to check this ?

240racer
07-28-2003, 01:00 AM
What settings are you using on the afc? The install is pretty easy, there are only a couple wires that you have to hook up to the ecu. Have you driven the car at all yet? Did it seem to run rich? The injectors will probably not just stay on, the afc wouldn't make them do that. remember, the afc just lies to the computer and tells it a different amount of air is going in then the actual amount. It does not control the injectors. Black spark plugs are fine, just dry them off and reinstall. you may need to use different throttle positions to get the car to run if the afc is not quite tuned properly, I drove mine around without an afc for a bit before I got it installed, it's possible, just annoying because it doesn't idle.

180PWR
07-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Heheh i was running -37 all accross with my low thr at 0 and my hi thr at 20..
Car was over fed in fuel and plugs ceased to fire, I have some Bosch units that are new so ill try those tomorrow.. The car ran AWESOME at the higher RPMS revved alot faster and the power band felt alot stronger but anything under 1000 idled/felt like crap

180PWR
07-28-2003, 01:24 AM
And thats when i think the car flooded in gas.. Either that or it was dripping while the car was off, I didnt change the orings that the SR injectors came with but i doubt it would cause a problem like that now.. Would it ?
I took off the fuel rail partly just incase they were dripping and the head is pretty much open so even if cranking the engine with no plugs and the fuse pump fuse out and no injector plugs on didnt get it out it should dry out over night..

orion::S14
07-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak - Do you have a vacuum/boost gauge...?

I'd bet that one of the o-rings or grommets around the injector is allowing air to leak. And that would cause only hard strats and bad idle - Any time you're on the gas it wouldn't really be noticable.

Later - Brian

180PWR
07-28-2003, 08:36 AM
How bout slightly advancing my timing, Perhaps this would help ?

240racer
07-28-2003, 10:26 PM
I think we came up with running -27% on the afc. I'll have to look back at an old thread and figure it out. If you do 270/370 you get .73 so that means the 370s are 27% larger. It's complicated because you can also do 370/270 and get 1.37, which I'm sure is what you did, and what I originally did. Either way, I got the best idle with -25% at 1000rpm and then I did -37% up to 3000rpm, however now I'll drop it to -27% when I get my car running. I left it rich above 4000rpm, because I didn't dyno tune it yet and I didn't want to go lean. I used 70% throttle as the switch to high mode and 0% for the low moe setting. in high mode I ran pretty rich, except below 3000rpm which I might have run -20% or so.

240racer
07-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 180PWR
How bout slightly advancing my timing, Perhaps this would help ?

just leave it at 20btdc on the ka24de and 15 on the e, forget which one you had

180PWR
07-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Heheh thanks for the advice guys.. I put new plugs in and it started up after some encouragement, Seems like the injectors arent running right so im picking up another rail from the junkers tomorrow morning.. I broke one of the bolts that holds the fuel rail so that sucks.. 70$ extraction fee here i come