PDA

View Full Version : ITs been 3 weeks and still no progress help!

240sxdriftrat
07-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi guys, i need help im at the edge of either running my car into a tree or selling it. I have been trying to diagnose the problem for close to 3 weeks now, i have a 89 coupe which i swapped 96 ka into in may of this year. car ran great for about a 2 months. now its being an :mrmeph:

Symptoms: Car will start from a cold start. ill put it in 1st barely step on the gas to accelerate and my car will start to hessitate then begin going.

ONce i start driving and going thu gears my car will start chugging as if i were letting my foot on and off the gas. then as i begin to slow down for a stop light if i dont come to a stop slow enough my car will make a zapping noise and then die.

So i go to start the car and it just clicks. GREAT stranded so i get out and push, then hop in my throw it in first and off i go :2f2f:

Also when this started happening my rpm's began going all crazyy and the same with my temp gauge.

NOW FOR WHAT I HAVE DONE TO FIX THE PROBLEM: I have changed the following: fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, oil change, cap and rotor, fuel injector cleaner, ect (engine cooling temperature) sensor, radiator flush, and i fill up my gas tank with 93. I checked ecu for codes and it just keeps giving me 55 (everythings ok). I swapped mafs and ecu's with my buddy and they are working.

I am stump as to what else could be the problem. I am still trying to research and find what else it could be. I could use all the help i can get.:bash:

Corey121
07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Did you check all your fuses? The throttle problem and stalling could be a caused by a faulty tps?

240sxdriftrat
07-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I will check all my fuses tomorrow but im not sure how to tell if the big main cube looking fuses are blown never really had to look at one and faulty tps ive read alot of forums and alot people suggest that. do they always mess up or something?

Sam_Well.13
07-18-2010, 01:04 AM
damn thats a headache...

the faulty TPS could be your problem on the boggin part.. may also the be the MAF, check all the wires if anything is kink?? kink wires can result to decrease volt to function w/e it is thats connected to...

but the zapping and cluster goen bizzark.. i have no clue..

goodluck

240sxdriftrat
07-18-2010, 12:27 PM
ok so i took another look this morning and found out that my pvc valve is not working so ima run up to auto zone and see if that could be throwing off my fuel to air mixture which could be causing my car not to start after i stall out cause my car is probably flooded. hope it works ill keep you guys updated

Slo_240sx
07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Your clicking is your starter not staying fully engaged. Usually it means a dead battery or bad terminal/contact. This also causes your gauges to flickers since they wont get the right voltage. Sounds to be like your alternator took a crap. If it was a sensor problem, your car shouldnt click and not restart. Which makes me believe you have an electrical problem. Sounds like the alternator went dead.

My question is after you get it running again (clutch kick start) how long does it stay running before it dies again?

Your car will start cold because the battery has been givin time to recover. Try getting the car tp stall and click again, then have someone jump you. if it restarts by the key its a bad alternator or battery. Could also be a bad ground, possibly from the block to the chassis.

uthemofo
07-18-2010, 02:29 PM
sounds like alt, or if its not the alt timing could be why your car runs like shit.
To check if the alt is ok you can have your car running, and remove the positive battery cable, if your car shuts off, alt is dead, if it continues to run, then it is running off the alt and it should be ok.

94spitfire91
07-18-2010, 03:12 PM
i agree with Slo 240sx if all you get is clicking and no cranking its the starter solenoid not getting enough power.. check the battery the wires leading to and from the starter and last the actual starter take it to any parts store theyll check it. Same goes for alternator dont just buy a new one go get it tested at the same time

essforteen
07-18-2010, 04:33 PM
check your timing or restab the distributor
Are you running a 96 harness and ecu?
Or a s13 harness, distributor and external coil!

I need more detais on your setup!

Slo_240sx
07-19-2010, 07:27 AM
I believe its a low voltage problem rather than a driveability problem. If it was a driveability problem, IE. bad sensor, timing, low fuel pressure, your car wouldnt stall and click. It would start right back up and run horrible. Now if it was a low voltage problem, your car will stutter due to lack of voltage to your secondary ignition, like your coils and spark plug. I bet if you pull your plugs they will be coated black because your plugs arent getting enough voltage to fire properly. Then your car will fail to restart until your battery recovers or you get a jump. A low voltage problem will also make your gauges go haywire.

ballinnmiami240sx
07-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Check to see that your ALT is putting out 13volts+. Not enough voltage can cause major headaches.

A faulty TPS will cause the car to run like if it had a big cam

A faulty MAF will not let you rev pass 2500rpms.

slideslidegnarslide
07-19-2010, 08:36 AM
dude its a ground

240sx123$
07-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Start the car, pull the ground off the battery. If you alternator is in working condition, the car should stay running. If it stalls, youve found your problem.

240sxdriftrat
07-20-2010, 09:41 PM
slo240sx thanks man and all you guys who said to check the alternator, thats what was causing all my issues. my car also has this idling problem it idles at 1500 rpms...i know why but idk what the hell the name of the part thats causing the issue... its a three way plastic vacuum thing that has a diaphragm in it. there is a line that sucks air from the it into the egr valve i think... and another line that goes the that air canister that has purge valve and all that and the last line goes to the top of the intake manafold.

240sx123$
07-21-2010, 06:17 AM
PCV Valve..

240sxdriftrat
07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
anyone have one for sale?

stinky_180
07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
anyone have one for sale?

Part# 11810

its ~11 bucks.. why buy used...

:werd:

240sxdriftrat
07-25-2010, 02:49 AM
thats not the part it is..the parts numbers different but at my local part stores they dont carry it. they dont sell it i might have to check dealer. the parts only on the 96-98. so wondering if someone has one that they dont need no longer

drift213
07-25-2010, 04:42 AM
ONLINE or got to the nismo shop :D

Slo_240sx
07-25-2010, 04:48 AM
No problem bro, glad you figured it out.

Go to different parts store someone will have one in stock. If not ^ go online.

J~TIN
10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Go online. courteseynissan should have it