PDA

View Full Version : need a legal exhaust

hondaguy
07-27-2003, 01:33 AM
ok i just got my car and the guy b4 me put a damn pep boys exhaust or something and its to damn loud.it sounds like a airplane taking off,well i was wondering what exhaust do you guys think is good and smog legal?

clean
07-27-2003, 04:41 AM
im not in cali, but from what i know here and just about everywhere, there is no suck thing as a street legal exhaust. the law in Maine is that you can't modify your exhaust to raise the db level over stock. so basically you would have to get an exhasut that sounds exactly like stock or lower, which no aftermarket exhasut does. if you want something to not draw attention to yourself get a es oval muffler, paint it black, and get custom piping. that will look stock but still not sound it. goodluck finding what you are asking for, i don't think your gonna get it. good luck anyway and if you do find it post it.

Jeff240sx
07-27-2003, 01:21 PM
There is no such thing as a smog-legal exhaust. Since every exhaust system sold is a "cat-back", you still have the catalytic convertor in place, un-touched, and it's the last line of smog defence. That means, every single exhaust on sale will be smog-legal. Noise limit legal? Thats a different question.
-Jeff

azn_romeox
07-27-2003, 05:32 PM
When a exhaust system says 50 state compliant it means its able to pass a emissons test. That does not mean it can't get a ticket for being loud *db*
-Ron

Driftin_240sx
07-27-2003, 05:41 PM
not that it really matters because its prolly not like this in the states... but i remembered ready somethin about noise levels from tanabe...

"There is a automobile driving law(security standard) which must be observed for driving a public road. In this law, it restricts of the neighbouring noise value of 103dB(96dB for new model cars after 1998), 90mm of the maximum car height from the ground and harmful smoke(never taking off a catalyst). The mufflers which cleared these minimum standard are generally called safety standard applicable products. On the other hand, authorized products by JASMA(Japan Automotive Muffler Association), which are generally called applicable products to automobile inspection, can be more safety because they must clear more severe standard than that of safety standard by JASMA."

david

vapor_skank
07-27-2003, 10:28 PM
ive been worrying about having a loud exhuast too, just found this on phase2 looks pretty decent and ill probally go with this after i get my swap done. its supposed to be really quiet.

http://www.phase2motortrend.com/rsrexcat19ni.html

theres something else that caught my eye ......adjustable exhaust valve or something. o well check it out

http://www.phase2motortrend.com/jstyladconva.html

hondaguy
07-30-2003, 01:42 PM
i need a legal one cuz cops are hella harsh around here

vapor_skank
08-01-2003, 07:40 PM
i dont think anything after market is "legal". but if they cant tell its after market id see no reason for them to give you sh*t.

Meccathor
08-01-2003, 09:21 PM
My Borla cat-back exhaust is pretty quiet as far as aftermarket exhausts go under 4k RPM, but when I open up my throttle it can get quite loud. Though my intake also adds to the noise. The Borla exhaust looks similar to the stock 240 exhaust too, just a little bigger. You can see a pic of it in my sig.

thx247
08-02-2003, 01:45 AM
This is just a very short post as Im going to bed.

In california, any exhaust is legal provided it does not touch anything on the car which is smog related, and the noise limit is not above 95dB 50 feet behind the car at 6 ft high in an open space.

Anyone gives you a ticket for anything less and they are just being an *** or they are flat wrong.