PDA

View Full Version : Starting clicking, but still starting...

JasonNagra
07-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Okay yesterday I filled my car up with gas @ Chevron. Anyway when I was finsihed pumping I came back to start the car. The car started fine but the normal starting sound did not take place, rather it was replaced with a few clicks and then the car started like normal. Ever since yesterday, I have started the car about 6 times and it still makes the clicking and then starts. It makes a few fast clicks and then just starts like normal. The car drives fine too.

Oh yea, its a 91 S13 KA24DE.

Basically I am wondering is something about to give out on me? If so I will replace whatever it is, but I would like to know what you guys think it is. My first thoughts were obviously that maybe the starter is starting to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.

JasonNagra
07-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Anyone?

aeontony
07-27-2003, 01:09 AM
When the engine turns over, how does it sound? Does it sound slower than usual?

MarvynDT
07-27-2003, 08:16 AM
It could be the battery is dying on you. Charge it or try borrowing a friend's battery.

If its the starter, gently tap the body with a hammer a few times.

JasonNagra
07-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by aeontony
When the engine turns over, how does it sound? Does it sound slower than usual?

It doesn't sound too much slower, just the normal starting sound that takes place before the idle is recahed is gone and is repaced with about 3-4 click. I will have the battery tested though.

Any other ideas? Thanks guys.

JasonNagra
07-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Any other things you guys think it could be?

zero.counter
07-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Does it sound like the starter engaging and clicking while doing it? If not then it may be that your timing guides have broken and the chain is slapping, or rod knock, or if it is the starter, then some teeth are broken and needs to be replaced.

My only other question is if the gasoline that you used was 91 octane or the basic 87 grade which is not recommended, which may possibly indicate knocking and you can check the ecu to see if it is throwing the code.

JasonNagra
07-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Yes it sounds like the starter engaging, then clicking while its doing its thing. I am going to have the battery checked tomorrow to see if it needs replacement.

On the octane, I have used 87 ever since I got the car about a year ago. I will try using 91 the next time I fill up. To tell you the truth, the only reason I have been using 87 is because I feel its a waste of money to run the 91 in the KA, but I think I might be wrong. And yes I know, Nissan does reccomend 91.

Thurazor
07-28-2003, 02:10 AM
Sounds like the starter solenoid

JasonNagra
07-28-2003, 02:17 AM
So if it is the solenoid, that means I have to replace the starter entirely correct? How much does this usually cost?

Thurazor
07-28-2003, 02:32 AM
Do you do much car work yourself? You could take the starter apart and buy a solenoid for like 8 bucks, then just put it back together. Sure beats paying for a new starter if you don't need one.

JasonNagra
07-28-2003, 07:09 PM
If anyone cares:

Okay after testing the battery it was not the battery. Then I tested the starter using sykikchimps method by using a diagnostic light. This test confirmed the starter was bad. I then bought an OEM Nissan rebuilt starter for $50 with lifetime warranty. The starter is going in tonite (with directions from various forums and the one on 240sx cca) and I will post the results later on tonite. :cool:

zero.counter
07-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Cool, keep us informed

JasonNagra
07-28-2003, 07:17 PM
By the way, thank you everyone for your input!:bowdown:

Now time for the install!:D

JasonNagra
07-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Okay with the directions I stated above, some basic hand tools and the help of my friend mjbuch3 I installed the new starter. There are two long bolts that connect the started to the tranny housing. The lower bolt is fairly easy to get out, just used a 3/8 drive ratchet with no extension and it was a 14mm bolt. However, the upper bolt on the starter was the BIGGEST PITA EVER! Took about 35 minutes to get that bolt out!!! However, after taking out the starter, disconnecting the two wires I threw the new unit back in. The car started like new! No more clicking and everything was good. The car starts much easier and faster now. Well for anyone who cares I can give a better writeup on how to install the starter and some tips on how to get that damn upper bolt. Again thanks everyone for your help.

Got Sileighty?
07-31-2003, 06:44 PM
wow what a coincidence. my parents' accord just started doing exactly the same thing (3-4 clicks then starts). ill let em know it costs about $50 then, assuming its all the same procedure. thanks.