PDA

View Full Version : Problem

mikeroy420
07-26-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm having this problem of my car drifting line to line ( centre to side). I changed suspension,control arms,ball joints, and had it aligned at 2 different places and still cant find the problem. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post a thread.Thanks

radrex88
07-26-2003, 11:59 AM
I feel stupid, but what in the heck are you talking about.:confused:

mikeroy420
07-27-2003, 06:57 AM
The wheel stifts and the car pulls left and right.

Bill Roberts
07-27-2003, 07:28 AM
I hope you have a printer or write this down.

Do this yorself.

Jack up each corner of the car (one at a time) and with the tire about 1 inch off the ground, rotate it slowly and feel for tension spots..places where the tire does not turn freely.

Note them by taking a piece of chalk and marking the top of the tire where it becomes harder to turn. One chalk mark. Also while turning, look at the treads from the side. See if the tire has any flat spots or buldging. If the tire is out of round due to some abuse, note it with two chalk marks at the high point of out of roundnbess at the top of the tire.

Next look at the face of the treads while turning and see if the treads all run smooth..and not zig sawing back and forth.

Any chalk marks and you have some work to do.

next, with the steering wheel locked, grab the tire by both sides and try to turn the steering left and right..see how much slop is in it. More than just a minor amount and you have suspention wear with the steering parts. Could be the rack, pinion, any of the suspention parts that turn the wheels right and left. Do all four corners. Rear bushings and links can be checked this way as the suspention and bearings on all four corners. Pull each tire...see if their is play.

Now about those chalk marks. If the tires are out of true or the tread is not running strait, you have a separated or out of round tire or both. These should be replaced. If you have a hanging condition in the rotation, you have a warped brake rotor and it will need to be replaced. they are inexpensive and can even be machined but I recommend replacing them. Do the pads at the same time.

The chalk marks will help you remember if it is tire and brakes, or just tire or just brakes for that corner.

Take your time, print this out and report back. Once you do all this, next I will tell you how to use a measuring tape to check your alignment for proper tracking.

It involves measuring from center hub to center hub front to rear.

Left side, front to rear, then right side front to rear. If one side of the wheelbase is shorter than the other due to a bent part, it will drive squirrly...

If you replace one front tire, replace both, one rear, do both. Match them.