PDA

View Full Version : Coilpacks Melted

bb4_96
07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I bought a motor off a guy on zilvia and have now gotten to a point where I'm ready to start it. It doesn't start. In addition any ignitor chip i plug in gets very hot. So hot it can burn you. I did some investigating and found the coilpacks he included with the deal and they were all severly melted. All 4 of them. Above the rubber boot around the thickest part and below the top portion totally melted and disfigured.

Anyone have any ideas. I'm completely at a loss here. I also checked the coilpack harness grounds and they were good.

gunmetalr32
07-10-2010, 07:35 PM
check the wiring. power to the ignitor / coils

brndck
07-10-2010, 07:46 PM
sounds like a bad ground or possibly a short that has melted and contacted other wires?
either return it and get your $ back or bust out the multimeter and start tracing wires.

bb4_96
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
All wires traced good. I haven't found a short yet or bare wires. I think I'm going to rewire the coilpack harness tomorrow. Any thoughts on the hot ignitor?

ghost_22_47
07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I had this issue with my RB26 when it was first started it happen to the front coil, it was an extra ground wire in the wiring that wasn't even in the diagrahm, only my coil got super hot and almost lite on fire.

Om1kron
07-10-2010, 10:53 PM
sounds like a bad ground or possibly a short that has melted and contacted other wires?
either return it and get your $ back or bust out the multimeter and start tracing wires.

Or buy a new harness from wiring specialties and drop it in and go. Never trust the wiring that comes with your motor. It's getting so bad that people should just stop selling wiring harnesses and ecu's with their motors and leave it up to the buyer to find that shit.

bb4_96
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Update. Found some melted grounds on the engine harness right off the ecu plug. This looks bad. I'm going to repair and sleeve whole harness while I'm at it. I was going to anyway but now I have a reason too.

Om1kron
07-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Update. Found some melted grounds on the engine harness right off the ecu plug. This looks bad. I'm going to repair and sleeve whole harness while I'm at it. I was going to anyway but now I have a reason too.

I wouldn't sleeve it until you have a couple of weeks of 100 percent it works driving behind that engine harness.

bb4_96
07-12-2010, 05:07 AM
^Agreed. If I didn't know any better I'd say you've done this before ;-)

Om1kron
07-12-2010, 06:03 AM
yes, many times.

DALAZ_68
07-12-2010, 08:19 AM
^Agreed. If I didn't know any better I'd say you've done this before ;-)
understatement of the year goes to...

lol

but Om1kron has a valid point...harnesses are becomning the numbah 1 issue

especially the relengthen section for the Maf...

bb4_96
07-13-2010, 05:18 AM
yes, many times.

Question. When you repin a connector, how do you do it personally? Do you pry apart the part that is crimped from the factory and crimp your wires down or use the metal tangs that holds the silicon boot in place? I've seen it done both ways. Or do you have a better method?

bb4_96
07-17-2010, 08:59 PM
OK update, I finished making a new coilpack subharness tonight. Put on car and voila it gets spark and the ignitor runs so cool. Root cause i believe to be either my damaged connectors or crap grounds in the factory subharness. corretcive action was new to make a new subharness. New wires are all 14gauge which may be overkill but better safe than sorry. Had to solder wires to old connector pins and i hate that but its not apparent from outside of connector. Hoping to redo it with new pins one day.