PDA

View Full Version : whats the best clutch??

Wtfufail
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
just got an s14 and got it home and clutch went to trash. its a drift/ some what daily car and thats about it.. lookin for a good clutch basically just for that. so whats the options and choices.. need help. thanks.

jspaeth
07-08-2010, 09:52 PM
just got an s14 and got it home and clutch went to trash. its a drift/ some what daily car and thats about it.. lookin for a good clutch basically just for that. so whats the options and choices.. need help. thanks.

Man you seriously need to do some reading.

Go to some typical 240s websites (Enjuku, FRSport, etc.) and see what they sell, then research those particular options

Slidin' Sam
07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a nismo twin plate clutch for sale. it is rebuildable. you will never have to buy another clutch, just replace the discs. it will hold anything you throw at it. suprisingly, this clutch is EXTREMELY streetable. It was in my old s13 when I bought it and I thought it was a 6 puck until I pulled the tranny and realised it was a twin plate.

Other than that, ORC super singles are amazing! 409D.

Nismo Coppermix is another favorite of mine.

Those are the only 3 clutches that I normally recommend.

rebornS14
07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
whats your budget and build like? more details.

MandTPhotography
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
What everyone else said.

Does your car make enough power to warrant a twindisk?

I mean....a sprung 6 puck will be good enough for most stuff.

I DD a with a Comp Stage IV.

chituntang
07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
"The" best clutch holds unlimited amount of power, drives like a normal manual car, and cost next to nothing - According to Carbonetic.

Sadly, no companies have created this product yet...

So, I guess you will have to wait until this product comes out...

Slidin' Sam
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Why do American clutches come in stages? Is it some marketing BS? In Japan there are no stages. You just have different types. Super Singles are by far the most popular here, and they sound sexy too!

90hatchie
07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
i have an orc super cingle 409 and LOVE it

!Zar!
07-09-2010, 12:56 AM
So it seems, drifting voids ORC's warranty.
hahahha

S14DB
07-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Is this a KA or a SR? Cause some of the clutches mentioned aren't available for the KA.

Slidin' Sam
07-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Drifting avoids every warranty! lol Tire manufacturers would be out of business otherwise! lol ORC clutches are gangster. /thread! lol

alesserfate
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
if its an sr and if you're a maniac i'd recommend a os giken unsprung twin plate

i have one in both my cars and love it, they dont die.

s14unimog
07-09-2010, 09:45 AM
^ how's that tranny holding up....

xska
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Sr trans and ka trans can not handle twin plate clutch if you clutch kick, but if your tire is less than 225, it can last longer.....

slideways2004
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Singles only...........if on a budget just do act 6 puck

alesserfate
07-09-2010, 11:57 AM
^ how's that tranny holding up....

lol i've blown up a pair, doesn't blow up after 1 or 2 clutch kicks in a row.. sometimes after 3 though ;) but daily its good, even if you rip like a fucker

s14unimog
07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
^ so why do you, and a lot of people, run these ridiculous over kill clutches? I have a Spec 6 puck, sprung hub, and have about 2k miles on it. My SR makes 394whp and I've never felt it slip.

My rational was to prolong the purchase of a Z32 adapter assembly and design in a less expensive point of failure

Wtfufail
07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry for the late response but yeah yeah it's a ka and Ive ben lookin around and I just don't know what's best material and all. But I'm gonna spend around 5ish at most. But have seen a few stage 5 actual track race clutches. But people have warned me of parts and peices and materials.

S14DB
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
EXEDY Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch Kit
Part Number: 06953B

hOngsterr
07-09-2010, 02:20 PM
white bunny

alesserfate
07-09-2010, 04:08 PM
^ so why do you, and a lot of people, run these ridiculous over kill clutches? I have a Spec 6 puck, sprung hub, and have about 2k miles on it. My SR makes 394whp and I've never felt it slip.

My rational was to prolong the purchase of a Z32 adapter assembly and design in a less expensive point of failure

simply because it doesn't fail in competition, the worst way to lose is to have your car fail

also by now i've figured out how to drive like i want to using that clutch to the full potential, and not blowing my tranny

the clutch is like a one time investment if you use it properly

also, the z32 trans can fail the same way with a gangster clutch, my friend has it in his car and has sheared most off the teeth off 3rd just like an sr tranny

ideally you want a straight cut hardened gear set for the z32 tranny and have that in your car, or an hks complete box, but thats money

S14DB
07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
simply because it doesn't fail in competition, the worst way to lose is to have your car fail

also by now i've figured out how to drive like i want to using that clutch to the full potential, and not blowing my tranny

the clutch is like a one time investment if you use it properly

also, the z32 trans can fail the same way with a gangster clutch, my friend has it in his car and has sheared most off the teeth off 3rd just like an sr tranny

ideally you want a straight cut hardened gear set for the z32 tranny and have that in your car, or an hks complete box, but thats money

I disagree. I view a clutch as a consumable that you have to replace after it wears out. Transmission I usually like to keep intact.

310R
07-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I have a clutch masters 6 puck sprung hub and it doesn't slip when you throw alot of power at it.Plus it has a light clutch pedal feel for dding.Just my 2 cents.:D

GabeS14
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM

I had the same spec clutch (supposed to hold 500hp)
Lol at that, i held up for 1 1/2 years as soon as i upgraded turbos at about 370hp the thing went to shit!
Since then a blitz twin plate has done the job i am
In love with it.
Os giken/ogura clutches are the same! Awesome if u have the budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s14unimog
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I had the same spec clutch (supposed to hold 500hp) Lol at that, i held up for 1 1/2 years as soon as i upgraded turbos at about 370hp the thing went to shit!
Since then a blitz twin plate has done the job i am
In love with it.
Os giken/ogura clutches are the same! Awesome if u have the budget
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well mine seems to hold up fine...maybe ya did somethin wrong :cj:

sent from my queer ass phone

alesserfate
07-09-2010, 09:47 PM
I disagree. I view a clutch as a consumable that you have to replace after it wears out. Transmission I usually like to keep intact.

To each their own, however depending on whether you want to blow up the tranny or the clutch, either way the tranny has to come out of the car.

And if you like the stock tranny (sr), sr trannys are about 100-200$, vs clutches are 300-500 at the least. Same amount of labour too.

Not saying you 'should be' blowing your tranny, but it's been quite some time since I blew a tranny now and I've managed to find a balance between being able to drive like I want to, not blow the tranny, and use a clutch that doesn't let go.

Just my side of constructive debate, not trying to bash or anything.

GabeS14
07-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Well mine seems to hold up fine...maybe ya did somethin wrong :cj:

yea, I drove it like a man..lol

Renelovesnike
07-10-2010, 02:36 AM
OS GIKEN then ATS/CARBONETIC

end of story! ^.^

K_style
07-10-2010, 02:50 AM
yea, I drove it like a man..lol

LOL

EXEDY Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch Kit
Part Number: 06953B
+1

I have EX-06950B Exedy Stage 2 Single Plate Clutch Kit S14 SR20DET
on my 250whp S14...

it is my DD and weekend Track car and I love it..

if you plan to keep your car in low HP then I think this clutch seems good choice too.

http://www.frsport.com/Exedy-06950B-High-Performance-Stage-2-Clutch-Kit-S13-S14-SR20DET_p_1206.html

However, I am planning to upgrade turbo again targeting 300~320whp.
I do not think this clutch will hold up.. LOL it supposed to holds up to 291hp
I am definitely getting super single this time.

HYPNOTIK
07-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Why do American clutches come in stages? Is it some marketing BS? In Japan there are no stages. You just have different types.

Exactry! One of my friends has a S2000 and he told me he had "Stage 2 cams." I was like ok, that means nothing to me, what size are they? He had no clue. Then you have all these SNIP that are like; "Ya, I got a stage 3 SRT4." What the fuck does that mean!?!:rl:

/rant.

I have a ACT 6 puck and I'm pretty happy with, although the Extreme pressure plate is a bitch at times. I'm in the neighborhood of 400whp and I drag, drift, touge, etc.

MADE
07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm 100% sure no one on Zilvia can tell you which is the "best" clutch. As mentioned get what is in your price and torque ranges. Don't select a clutch based on if its a Japanese based company. I would suggest looking into the specs and price of both then pick. You could probably get 2 US clutch kits for the price of one JDM one. Personally I have been through two ORC 409s with in 18 months, and I doubt I will ever select them again. Also Iv'e used Nissan OEM and ACT 6 pucks both I would use again. If your not going to be outside of an OEM rating, go with that, and use the money for something else.

S14DB
07-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Exactry! One of my friends has a S2000 and he told me he had "Stage 2 cams." I was like ok, that means nothing to me, what size are they? He had no clue. Then you have all these SNIP that are like; "Ya, I got a stage 3 SRT4." What the fuck does that mean!?!:rl:

Dodge Neon SRT4 Stage 3 - Road Test & Review - Automobile Magazine (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0505_dodge_neon_srt4_stage3/index.html)

Next time use more appropriate language.

kuelee
07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
EXEDY Stage 2 is the best way to go.. i have a f1 clutch and fidanza flywheel on my stock KA, its not the best but works great.. i can clutch kick time after time.. and its fine..but if i were to do my clutch again.. EXEDY is the way to go..