PDA

View Full Version : changing turbo- not sure about specifics

knockum
07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I have a 91 240 with the redtop t25 and I'm ready to make some more upgrades and changes. I am figuring this as I go along and this I've decided on:

Garrett 2876 turbo
550cc side feed
Apex'i Power FC tuner

Now my question is in regards to these things. I'm clear on the injectors but not sure about the other two.

I thought the 2876 turbo would be a better idea than the 2871 as it can produce more power but I'm not sure if it needs other parts for the install. The 2876 I heard needs another part (not sure what) to clock the way the ports line up, can someone clarify? Or is the 2871 a better buy (easier install, less expensive, yada yada yade)? Anything to consider when I purchase?

For the tuner, many people seem to love the Apex'i Power FC. Are there any other tuners to consider? I really don't know too much about the power FC so do I need to get one specifically for my 91?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Ben

landins13
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
power fc is for the the motor not for the specific year, it will be a red top sr power fc it. another great option that is much cheaper is nistune, i know a lot more people are beginning to use it, i personally use it and love it. ive had a power fc before too, its a great piece of equipment i just dont like the programmer you use with it.

alesserfate
07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
i would go for at least 720cc injectors, judging by the fact that you said you are trying to make more power of one turbo vs the other, 550cc is very limited

nistune is good, but if you're not going to be tuning it yourself I would go for the power fc d-jetro (map sensor) and eliminate the maf

i would also reccomend a metal headgasket (apexi is pretty good) as well as ARP head studs

mattsil80wis
07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
As noted above, buy larger injeectors if you want to make power. 2876 IMO is not worthwhile, 2871r is a much better T2 based turbo...if you want to make big power, get a T3 flanged topmount and a 30r variant.

Also, don't forget to check out Jim Wolf Technology or RS Enthalpy for ECU tune solutions. They make great power, utilize all stock functions, and drive just like OEM...perfect for any 400ish whp car and below.

e1_griego
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
You will need to clearance/notch the motor mount bracket quite a bit to get the 2876 compressor to clear. I'm running mine with a stock (coated) manifold and it fits ok otherwise.