PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Drive Conversion Help

brianglawson
07-23-2003, 09:04 AM
i was wondering what all would be involved in doing a right hand drive conversion to a s13 silvia(240sx coupe) can anyone give me all i need to know i appreciate it alot

weirdstyles.net
07-23-2003, 09:52 AM
for your first post.....

not a good idea...

Parts: $1000,000,000.13
Labor: Get the knee pads
Converting a working 240SX to RHD....pointless

There is absolutely NO reason to convert, but if you had too....because god told you too. Then get the dash (with bezel), center console, steering system. Prepare to rape your firewall. Leave the wiring where it is, you touch it and your fuaked....

Your gonna have to rerun the clutch, brake, gas. I think the AC/Heater plumbing will have to be shifted or replaced?... god damn why the hell?! Heres your best bet brutha...

Get a s13 clip, with interior. As good a condition as you can. Ill stop by and take that big heavy motor outa there to facilitate the interior extrication... he he he... then you can use all that BS and waste all the time you need.

KoukiS14Silvia
07-23-2003, 09:54 AM
That's exactly what im doing already, i have a S14 Kouki front clip that im transplanting all parts into my S14.

brianglawson
07-23-2003, 11:13 AM
the reason i would do it would be for that true jdm look that is so trick not to mention i shift better with my left hand...lol i drove one of the skylines motorex imported that one of my friends have it was a blast:)

tougebear
07-23-2003, 11:14 AM
It would be cheaper, faster, and easier to get a complete car and register it illegally.

RBS14
07-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by tougebear
It would be cheaper, faster, and easier to get a complete car and register it illegally.

illegal registration? isn't that an oxymoron(sp?)? Or you could just register it legally for cheap. Think Kit car.......

daisosasen01
07-23-2003, 11:05 PM
brianglawson : If you are going to do RHD do your research, use the search function on zilvia, and especially on freshalloy. Useing the function makes miracles happen instead of giving any little excuse for people to start flameing or telling you that you can't cause blah blah, just cuase god, budda, ahla, or whom ever gave them a mouth to do so. If you are going to do anything do it for yourself and never get discouraged to not do otherwise. When you do it do it within a reasonable financial and technical realm for you. Converting to RHD is not hard at all. ( if you are not somewhat mechanically inclined then either rethink the challange or better yet do alot more research) But if you don't know how to weld I would take a welding class or two before you attemp it. Go to the junkyard and strip some cars for practise so you would feel confortable doing so. It is not cheaper then importing a car and registering it cheaper ( Cause their is no "cheaper " way of registering or legalizeing a JDM car). Not only will getting it to your garage cost you more, but WHEN you get cuaght you will face serious criminal charges if not major fines ( so much so that paying off your debt will be your immeadiate hobby for a while). Also not only is informing yourself on the vehicle and how to do the swap important, but informing yourself with your state and country codes as well. If you are in cali then you dont have to worry about it ( as long as you don't mess with the VINS, exception is the dash).

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01300.htm ( pay particular attention to #1364

It states that any mechanic ( which could be yourself as well) is at liberty to do anything he/she wish's to his/her vehicle as long as it does not diminish the structural integraty of the vehicle from factory standards which thus endangers or causes a risk to the operator or any potential passenger\s or bystander\s or the vehicle is altered in any way for fradulent motives.

Now I don't claim to be a judge\ lawyer ( cause I am not) but I do claim that I have done my research. I have called DMV, CHP, CHP Inspection centers, Beareu of Automotive repair, Department of Transportaion ( National transportation HWY safety commity). Do what you got to do till you get an answer that does not just fit the "yeah sure why wouldn't be legal". Get facts and hard UNDISBUTEABLE PROOF of the swaps legalities.

So basically do your stuff as throughly as you can and you will be o.k. And most importantly do any and every project CAUSE YOU WANT TO. There is no better or greater alternative reason to do so.

Good luck on your project/s

tougebear
07-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by RBS14
illegal registration? isn't that an oxymoron(sp?)? Or you could just register it legally for cheap. Think Kit car.......

So you want to register a non-US conforming car as a kit car? That's still illegal. And more expensive and time consuming than just getting a vin from a US equivalent.

KoukiS14Silvia
07-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by RBS14
RBs14, what do you mean kit car, register that imported car as a kit car?