PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE EGR Valve Replacement

JdmTyteYo
06-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey guys im trying to replace my egr valve but some bolts are hard to get to

i was wondering if anyone knew the steps/process of what to take off in order to get to all the bolts successfully

like the intake manifold for example? i was thinking if i took that off that i can somewhat have easier access to some of the bolts.

sorry im a complete noob :axe:

thanks guys!

http://i47.tinypic.com/20tqgc6.jpg

thanks guys!

JdmTyteYo
06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
anyone? :[

SmallTownDrifter
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm stuck there too I was able to take of one of the smaller blots (12mm) don't know how to reach the other one or hat big ass line

dued
05-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Hey, I've been reading alot about this procedure lately as my EGR system needs to be serviced too. I've been reading that you need a "crows foot" tool to access some of the parts/bolts on the EGR system. Also, in the meantime; take a look at this thread: http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/372184-trouble-passimg-smog-your-ka-look-here.html

^ This guy was having EGR / smog passing problems and cleaned out some of the system this way.

chiboy002
05-08-2011, 12:10 AM
the 3 12mm bolts between the manifold under the runners are easy to get to, you just need a swivel socket, preferably 12mm built into it and some patience

use a 1/4" drive one since its smaller

for the huge ass tube, which is the hard part, most people just cut it and then put a deep socket on it and break it off. Replace the entire tube with a new one, its cleaner and it'll be easier to work with in the future. It's been there for 12+ years, constantly heating and cooling and somewhat corroded, so it'll be pretty seized up so you can't just use a wrench to get it off easily.

they sell bung plugs to block it off, and just make a squid (ghetto) or braze the manifold or the part that connects from the EGR to the manifold shut.

The rest is just vacuum lines and the BPT valve

SmallTownDrifter
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Whats that the other end of the big line I havent looked at that yet. And do u know what its call so I can cut and get a new one for napa or where ever

andisan
05-08-2011, 01:11 AM
I had to do it like 5 times in a week, thinking that my whole system was bad, and i cleaned it and replaced all the little things, after you figure it out the first time youll be able to take it off in like 10 minutes :), i learned the hard way, i found a thin rachet from harbor freight tool that was able to do a 90 degree angle and then i cut an old 12mm socket in half, so its deep enough for just the 12mm bolt and that gives you enough clearance for the two 12mm bolt inside the intake manifold.

SmallTownDrifter
05-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I was able to take of the bolts just can't find a way to take off that big line. Don't want to cut but if I have to I will. How hard would it be to rip it ou and replace it with a new one

sincity_sil80
05-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Are you guys talking about the pipe that goes across the back of the motor? Doesnt the egr pipe screw off? someone correct me if im wrong but i thought it just unscrewed from the back of the header and the other side just bolted to the intake manifold. Ignore me if this isnt what was in question.

SmallTownDrifter
05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
That's the bitch! So it goes to the headers? I haven't checked all I is the side that on the egr and its all rusted over don't know how to git a wrench in there

sincity_sil80
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I'll check it out when i get home and see if i can figure it all out. i havent installed it yet, so i havent had to remove it. lmk if you figure it out before i do

alwyzDTF
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
anyone figure this out yet? I got tired of trying and took my 240 to a shop and they spent 4 hours trying to get my egr valve off buts it rusted on there and they said they wanted to charge me $400 to drop the engine and then charge me to install my new one haha f that. any ideas on how to get a completely rusted egr valve off?

LOUD240
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
anyone figure this out yet? I got tired of trying and took my 240 to a shop and they spent 4 hours trying to get my egr valve off buts it rusted on there and they said they wanted to charge me $400 to drop the engine and then charge me to install my new one haha f that. Any ideas on how to get a completely rusted egr valve off?
sawzall cut that sucker

Vernal
07-13-2011, 01:59 AM
remove any accessories in the way obviously.. Line wrenches WD40 PB blaster Vise grip worse case scenario

nissan-fanatic
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Idk if u guys still seeing this... But I'm in the same scenario... I'm gonna try to take it out to clean it and put it back on. I'll see if I can record the whole process and post it here