PDA

View Full Version : 5 lug conversion

reflex
07-21-2003, 10:52 AM
hey guys. does anyone know what parts are needed for a 5 lug conversion? i just bought my s14 240, 1 of about 3 that i have ever seen for sale in colorado. its a base 95, so its of course a 4 lug. has anyone done it? i'd like to know how difficult it is as well. thanks a lot.

Dousan_PG
07-21-2003, 10:53 AM
here ya go (http://www.zilvia.net/f/search.php?s=)

Phantom
07-21-2003, 03:04 PM
I do beleive the installs section has all the parts listings for the 300zx brake upgrade or 5-lug conversion whichever you perfer to call it but check there.

Dousan_PG
07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Phantom
I do beleive the installs section has all the parts listings for the 300zx brake upgrade or 5-lug conversion whichever you perfer to call it but check there.

300zx and 5 lug swap are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!
you DONT have to do 1 if you do the other
or you can do both at same time
they are not related.

and the installs is only about the brake swap, not the 5 lug swap.
http://www.zilvia.net/installs/zbrakes/300zx.asp

reflex
07-22-2003, 05:35 PM
dousan, do you have any other help for me on this one? i know that i would need the 5 lug hubs (i could buy them from nissan for $135 each front and about $200 each rear) and some 5 lug rotors, which are easy to find. do you know if any aftermarket companies make the 5 lug hubs? do you know if i would need any other parts? thanks.

Heartwork
07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
all you need are the 5 lug hubs from an S14 for front and rear, and 5 lug rotors....it wouldnt be a bad idea to get them new since its got new bearings and studs pressed in them already...

your braking options are up to you if you want to go with full Z32 upgrade or something aftermarket big brake kit, or you can just get pads, rotors, brake lines, brake fluid for your existing brakes. Or you can leave everythign stock, besides the rotors which youstill need for the 5 lug...

i remember Jspec selling some aftermarket 4-5 lug conversion, but wouldnt be an ideal choice if you have an s14 since it would cost about the same if you went full 5 lug conversion...i think it really benefits for the S13 people....

AceInHole
07-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by reflex
hey guys. does anyone know what parts are needed for a 5 lug conversion?
Guys??
for an S14 5-lug swap you need:
1. 5 lug hubs: front from an S14, rear from an S14 or NA z32.
2. Redrilled or new 5 lug rotors
3. The thing everyone forgot: 5 lug RIMS
4. The thing most people forget: 5 lug spare (Q45 has a lightweight aluminum spare that looks spiffy).

has anyone done it? i'd like to know how difficult it is as well. thanks a lot.
If you know what you're doing it should take like 5 hours or so with hand tools. When I first did it I spent a day doing the rears, and a few hours doing the fronts.
Helping Kookz do his, we spent about 4 hours swapping rear hubs and upgrading his rear brakes (in the rain). (actually, he's still going at it while I'm staying dry indoors for the rest of the night :p)

The swap isn't too difficult. It involves using a hub puller for the rear, and lots of PITA bolts, though. If you've taken parts of your suspension apart and put it back together, this would be like the next step in difficulty.

Dousan_PG
07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
thanks ace! im too old for this stuff

me just to do the rears took about 3 hours for both sides, all arms, no air tools or nothing. by myself too. not bad
fronts for me are easy, i have JDM tyte front hubs..direct bolt in. takes mm 1 hour for both sides. not bad! :)

meme
07-23-2003, 12:21 AM
pretty straight forward swap.
the rears i moved the axels up above the diff to get to the hub bolts. i also had to remove the exhaust. if you are using z32 rear hubs;remove the fat e-brake nut first! i spend a good amount of time trying to get the hub off the upright and not damage anything!!

for the fronts i got jdm gto 5 lug hubs from jspec. direct replacement.

i also got the full brake kit from charles on the groupbuy section.

meme
07-23-2003, 12:24 AM

weirdstyles.net
07-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
here ya go (http://www.zilvia.net/f/search.php?s=) :Owned:

Hedonist
07-23-2003, 10:29 AM
I have a 89 240SX that I want to do a 5 lug conversion on. So all I need is the rear hubs off of a Z32 non-turbo and front hubs off of a 95-98 240sx SE with 5 lugs? Is that right?

Dousan_PG
07-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Hedonist
I have a 89 240SX that I want to do a 5 lug conversion on. So all I need is the rear hubs off of a Z32 non-turbo and front hubs off of a 95-98 240sx SE with 5 lugs? Is that right?

YOUR ANSWER:

here ya go (http://www.zilvia.net/f/search.php?s=)

Hedonist
07-23-2003, 10:57 AM
YOUR ANSWER:

That is no help.

Dousan_PG
07-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Hedonist
That is no help.

dont diss the search mode
its a HUGE help
its there for your use
type

"five lug swap"
or "five lug conversion" and get your question answered. its been discussed MANY TIMES.
do some leg work.

meme
07-23-2003, 07:33 PM
for the s13 i would just get the jdm 5 lug hubs. no mods needed for this to work.

if you don't use the jdm hubs but use the s14 5 lug hubs; you need the ball joint and drill out the shock mounting bolts(on the spindle). also s14 spindle. i think that is it for the front.

forgot his name but(i think it was psi something); did a really cool write up using the s14 stuff for the front. it had pics and everything. the car was a greenish coupe.check that out. i used his write up to do mine. except i went with the jdm hub.