PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det problems

cramms
06-13-2010, 08:49 AM
(I apologize if some of my terminology is wrong I am still learning about working on cars etc)

ALso BOV is a hks ssqv

OK so here is alittle back story on my problem. About four months ago I bought a sr20 s13. I drove it home it was dieing at almost every other redlight. I finally got it home fixed a vaccume leak (hole melted in one of the intake couplers). Then later wen't on to figure the turbo had been run to hell and was beginning to fail not making boost above 4 psi, oil in the intercooler piping etc. So then a friend helps me swap out the bad turbo with a used t25, and car drove great for month and a half at 12psi (boost gauge reading).

Now the turbo will start to spool up (extremely slow) and even at 10psi (boost gauge reading) the car isn't really moving, even in 4th gear at 10psi the car isnt accelerating like it should. Also it makes almost 3psi in first gear when it never used to go past 0. The other thing that is worrying me is that there is a rattling noise coming from the location of the turbo i fear it might be a bearing?

Ive checked all vaccume lines, refit intercooler piping, checked for leaks etc, car is still not running right.

Any advice?

Thanks
Cramms

240Zfunahollic
06-14-2010, 10:43 PM
check the gasket and check to make sure none of the studs or nuts between the turbo and manifold haven't backed out. Did you use the locking tabs on the reinstall?

cramms
06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I honestly don't know a friend of mine basically did the swap while I was at work for me over a weeks time (which was a big help). So im not sure I'm going to ask him tomarrow.

I basically re took apart intercooler piping and air intake checked maf today and everything seemed to be ok. I just need to know how to tighten the other bolts couldnt even fit wrenches in there

KiLLeR2001
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Definitely double check all the bolts for the turbo, esp the ones that bolt to the exhaust mani. I had problems tightening mine down they aren't easy to get to, and they tend to back out. I would use a thread locker or something.

cramms
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
If they where loose could it look like a boost leak ?

KiLLeR2001
06-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Anytime you lose boosted air its a boost leak, it probably won't be as profound in this location but the rattling sound from turbo area is making me think something is loose in that area, check every last bolt.

cramms
06-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Because im making boost but the car is extremely sluggish. Idk what could be causing it im hoping its not the turbo but idk

ejmetcalf
06-20-2010, 12:52 AM
my car did this after the swap it was reading boost on the gauge and i wasnt getting power. there was about it was about a 5/16 gap between the header and the turbo so i pulled the exhaust side out and replaced the tabs with lock washers put it back in the car got the car nice and warm put welders gloves on and retighted everything i could reach.

J_Rad
07-03-2010, 10:19 PM
oops -delete-