PDA

View Full Version : oil leak!! how hard of a fix???

jdm-er
07-18-2003, 07:58 PM
aight guys i changed my oil today and i start it up let it get to normal runnnin temp. turn it off and i hear a gushing sound look under and oil coming out from the oil pan so my asumtionis that the oil pan gasket is bad but how hard is it to get the oil pan off a 92 240???? just wanting to know so i know whats ahead for me thanks

mrmephistopheles
07-18-2003, 08:12 PM
seeing as how you didn't apparently have this problem BEFORE your oil change, is it possible that the oil filter is not on tightly, or your drain plug is loose?

DuffMan
07-18-2003, 08:51 PM
To remove the pan you need to lift the engine or drop the crossmember.

kazuo
07-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by DuffMan
To remove the pan you need to lift the engine or drop the crossmember.

I've managed to get it off not once, but twice without having to lift the motor or drop the crossmember. This was on a S13 w/ SR20DET.

You just need to use a small enough socket. :)

kandyflip445
07-19-2003, 02:20 AM
I'm 100% sure duffman was stating that you need to do that on a KA.

mistaanime
07-20-2003, 08:31 AM
hmm I think im having the same problem..on my 92 240 too..
I changed my oil and took it for a spin...then I came back and later i found it out it was lekin oil..from the top of the transmission to the end...jus found little drops of oil on the ground...could it be the oil pan?

misnomer
07-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Not as likely. The oil pan gasket isn't under any pressure, it isn't as likely to leak oil as those components which are.

Now, if you are hearing oil gushing out. . . Something REALLY isn't right. You need to get back under the car, find out exactly where your leak is, and then look for the fix. I am leaning towards filter or drain plug as well. Of course, given none of us can see the car, we have to play with the information you feed us :-)

mistaanime
07-20-2003, 08:13 PM
hmm i went back under the car to check it out.
I see that I have oil between the tansmission and engine..could be the grear box that is leakin..but i dunno..car sounds fine..sounds pretty normal..no unusal sounds...
umm then I check the the bottom to see if the drain plug for the gear box is loose...I can't really tell since it's a big Box shape socket..which I dun have...to see if it needs to be tightened.

could be gear box leakin..:axe: :hammer:

transient
07-20-2003, 09:04 PM
If it was the gearbox leaking you'd probably know it. Gear oil smells HELLA nasty. I dumped a bunch on the floor of my garage and almost puked when I had to work around it, lol.

DuffMan
07-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Gear oil doesnt look like engine oil. Mine is pink and looks like pink lemonade.

Its sounds more like your rear main seal is leaking.