PDA

View Full Version : Oil light came on

jinesz32
06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
My oil light just came on and I don't really know what it is I'm thinking it's my oil pump but I'm not sure .

Earlier this morning the car was running fine . Running smooth and healthy.

Engine has about 1000miles on it after the rebuild.

I went to sleep for like three hours woke up started car gettin ready to leave an the oil light comes on and either my valves are tickering or my bearings are knocking. I took the cap off and it was shooting oil up . Don't really know what else to check and how it could happen so randomly.

Any help appreciated .

I didnt run the engine for more then 5 seconds.

Thanks

-Jin

Om1kron
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
your best bet is to check the oil level, if that looks fine then turn the engine on let it warm up and make sure that oil light doesn't come on again. If it does, you may have to drop your oil pan to make sure nothing is getting clogged in the oil pickup.

I'll assume you don't have an oil pressure gauge so you're going to have to be old fashioned and do the above mentioned steps. I wouldn't assume so quickly the engine is going to explode.

But it is only going to come on if there is no oil moving through the engine or if there is no oil pressure.

jinesz32
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the response .

I checked the oil level an it's perfect.

The oil light stays on it would run smooth for a few seconds then start tickering I thought maybe something could have gotten stuck in the pan I'll drop it and check it out .

It sounds pretty bad so I end up just turning it off. I'll check it out soon.

Thanks again.

-Jin

Om1kron
06-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah sounds like something is blocking your oil pickup. Sometimes the chain guides will break and fall into the oil pan, or the oil pickup somehow will break. Worse comes to worse you may actually need a new oil pump. But if it's a rebuilt engine I'm assuming that was replaced instead of re-used.

jinesz32
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Alright cool thanks bro.

Oil pump is pretty new has about 10k miles on it I rebuilt my motor twice already blew a hg the first time .

I'll check everything out.

Thanks.

-Jin

jinesz32
06-12-2010, 03:49 AM
my car is acting up and being really weird.

after starting it a few times like i said in the first post, i decided to just take a break and play some cod. like an hour later i go outside and start it up and it runs perfectly fine, oil light goes away and it runs great. took it for a drive down pch, took it back, prolly turned car like 5 times by this time and it started up fine everytime, dropped a friend off, went back to car, turned it on and the light comes back on again, starts ticking again.. turn it off, turn it back on, move it outta the street and turn it off, sit there for a few seconds, try it again, and the light goes away. my car has a mind of its own.

any ideas?

-Jin

rebornS14
06-12-2010, 09:17 AM
is this a KA SR? whatever it is, you said you just got it rebuilt again so im thinking you have some kinda debris like maybe gasket maker that chunked off and its blocking your oil passage way every now and then. the least you can do it get ur hands dirty. take off your oil pan and make sure theres nothing blocking the pick up like the other guy said. get some new oil. change ur filter maybe its flowed through to the filter. who knows. something to try and its not hard or money consuming.

thevert
06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
this has been happening to my car for a while but after it warms up it goes away? but like Om1kron said check ur level! my level is good but i should get around to dropping my pan.. just been lazy:zzz:

jinesz32
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
first i changed my oil filter, and the light went away for probably a good 30 minutes Lol weird. then it came back on so i poped the oil pan off. removed the oil pickup, oil pan wouldnt clear, so i lifted the motor a bit, then it cleared with no problems. checked everything out. there was some silicone and stuff inside the pickup and a small piece of plastic inside my oil pan somehow. remove the bolt for the oil pressure relief valve, to see that the valve is stuck! use 2 flat heads to force it out, there was 2 SMALL little rocks around it which caused it to get stuck, cleaned it up, put it back in and now it moves loose up and down like its suppose to. put everything back together, now it works flawlessly.

thanks for your inputs. i appreciate them all !

-Jin

fliprayzin240sx
06-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Hopefully you didnt eat the bearings with low oil pressure...check your cams and make sure they didnt get chewed up due to oil starvation up top.

bb4_96
06-18-2010, 08:06 AM
How in the hell did you get rocks in your oil system?

Om1kron
06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
probably wasn't rocks but part of the debris from the engine break in.

bb4_96
06-18-2010, 08:50 AM
lol i pictured pieces of gravel

bb4_96
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
oil pumps are fuckin reliable on the ls motor, get one

rollout240
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
hmmm good stuff. Om1kron nailed it! high five. this makes me want to change my s13 pick up to the s14 now. haha. time to get dirty.