PDA

View Full Version : kw coilover install help

inopsey
06-05-2010, 08:39 AM
i am having trouble installing the rear coilovers on my s14. i cannot find information if the rear bushing that goes between the spring perch and the upper mount is re used. when the bushing is used i cannot seem to torque down the topmount properly. any info is appreciated thanks

Motoskin
06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
than don't use it... simple as that

mademedoit
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
You need to use an open end wrench the hold the shaft form spining when you tighten down the nut. The top of the threads should have a flat spots if not you'll need to use an impact drill.

inopsey
06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
You need to use an open end wrench the hold the shaft form spining when you tighten down the nut. The top of the threads should have a flat spots if not you'll need to use an impact drill.
i can get a socket on the end of the strut piston and hold the nut with a wrench to torque the nut. i can torque the bushing that is shaped like a barrel to be shaped like a disk looking like its going to split open; but the top mount isnt touching the spring perch like oem

g00se
06-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I had the same problem, you have to reuse the stock rubber bushing then the easiest way would be to impact the nut.. dont strip it like I did

inopsey
06-13-2010, 10:26 AM
yah i just figured it out. you resuse the bushing because it holds the piston in position in the top mount BUT you do not use the metal plate that the bushing (bottom) sits on, that part is the same part as the purple spring perch and supplied washer. (on oem it sits on the strut piston on a grove holding the top mount in position) there is no gap and easily torqued the top nut to 18ft lbs.

btw very impressed with the comfort level on these for shitty streets

rebornS14
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
yea i had a horrible time installing KW's on a benz before. not for the regular joe with basic tools in the garage.

Omar1913sm
06-16-2010, 11:59 PM
ill buy you stock front shocks off you