PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an engine, need advice

Prime
06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok Zilvia, I need advice. I've got a very stupid situation on my hands, so let's see what I can do to fix it.

Pick N' Pull locally had a half off day last week, so I head out to see what little bits I can pick up that I might need, mainly interior pieces that are broken and what not.

I stumble across a 91' coupe with the full engine assembly intact (KA24DE, for you who will invariably ask). So, I grab the sockets and ratchet and pull the sonuvabitch out. I get it home, sit it on the slab and leave it alone. Until today...

I pull the oil pan to check things out. First thing I notice... "Where's #2's rod... and why do I see daylight in here?" That's right. #2 went jailbreak through the side of the block, right behind the motor mount. Since I couldn't see it from the angles I was working, I made it all the way home without noticing the elephant in the room. Hole is behind the motor mount on the hot side, but isolated to the crankcase and doesn't seem to have hurt the cylinder walls at all.

So now, I ask what should I do? The head looks fine, as do the crank and all the accessories. Pick N' Pull DOES have a 30 day exchange policy, so if I can find another KADE I can just swap it out (we've seen how often that happens, I'll assume, unless somehow Altimas started counting). I also have a SOHC set up, and I'm pretty sure I've heard that the blocks are the same if I swap everything else over (everything everything, not just some things everything). Or, I can part it and hope I can break even once I get rid of the whole shebang (least likely scenario to have a happy ending, I think.)

...Any ideas?

fckillerbee
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
it must have been free for you to pick up a ka at a junkyard. good ones go for 300-400 on here. Return that shit, and post a wtb.

DALAZ_68
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
you can risk the 30 day...but realize...your gonna have to be o ur game...and be there ready to go...

with these cars...or anything currently mainstream...i really wouldnt even have risked pulling the motor...i would have maybe pulled parts(like exhaust cam) distributer cap...shit like that...but... not the whole motor...the likely hood of a douche owning it here in CA is to high to risk...

ManoNegra
06-04-2010, 04:04 PM
how can anyone work around an engine for a few hours
and not notice a gaping hole in the block??
feel for you though, that is a lot of work for nothing
do they have a straight swap or can you get credit and use it on other parts
you may need?

Prime
06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
it must have been free for you to pick up a ka at a junkyard. good ones go for 300-400 on here. Return that shit, and post a wtb.

Was 80 bux, so it's not the end of the world.

you can risk the 30 day...but realize...your gonna have to be o ur game...and be there ready to go...

with these cars...or anything currently mainstream...i really wouldnt even have risked pulling the motor...i would have maybe pulled parts(like exhaust cam) distributer cap...shit like that...but... not the whole motor...the likely hood of a douche owning it here in CA is to high to risk...

Going to the yard, always on my game. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to pull the motor I did. But, I was planning on doing a full rebuild on it so I didn't have to take my car down. Douchebag owned it, worse case scenario (or so I thought) was having to do a bit of a bore.

how can anyone work around an engine for a few hours
and not notice a gaping hole in the block??
feel for you though, that is a lot of work for nothing
do they have a straight swap or can you get credit and use it on other parts
you may need?

It didn't take a few hours, it took 20 minutes. I got there at 5:00, and was out by 5:45, including the time it took me to push the hoist through the yard, stand in line, and pay.

Though, I will admit, I'm stupid for not having seen the hole. No excuse for that. I looked at it today and my jaw about hit the floor.

Unfortunately, it's a straight swap I think. I'll have to check to be certain. Were it a credit issue, I'm sure I could find the worth in parts pretty easily, but considering it won't be half-off those...

bb4_96
06-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Lol thats funny I'm paying a guy to come take my running KA away next week because no one will even offer me anything for it. I'm also throwing away steelies with new snow tires. I guess the shits in demand on the coast but not in the midwest.

Prime
06-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Lol thats funny I'm paying a guy to come take my running KA away next week because no one will even offer me anything for it. I'm also throwing away steelies with new snow tires. I guess the shits in demand on the coast but not in the midwest.

If it halfway made sense I'd be the guy picking up, haha.

eklips3
06-05-2010, 12:47 PM
i say keep the head from the motor and build it.

as for the block , i would say keep checking pick n pull for another KA and exchange the block you have for another. just make sure its got no holes ;) ... haha jk bud

Prime
06-05-2010, 01:09 PM
i say keep the head from the motor and build it.

as for the block , i would say keep checking pick n pull for another KA and exchange the block you have for another. just make sure its got no holes ;) ... haha jk bud

Yeah, I've more or less decided to go with that. Actually, after doing a lot of research apparently the DOHC head will fit the SOHC block, with a bit of machining on the front cover. So, I'm going to start looking into that, as I've got a basic mill and lathe available. Depending on how deep I get into it, I may just document it so it'll be less of a question for folks.